s3 sleep and vcore p5q

jlawmi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hi,
I have a p5q deluxe w/ e8500. Its a great mobo that has been pretty stable for months. However, I have found an annoyance that I'm hoping someone can help with. When my machine comes out of sleep, the vcore settings change to a lower value. For instance if I set 1.3626 in bios, in cpuz/windows it will say 1.352. Then if I put the machine to sleep , and wake, the vcore will be 1.32.
This behavior occurs with LLC enabled or disabled (doesn't matter, it still drops after wake up)
I have also tried many bios revs over the last 3 months.

I have placed a ticket into asus, which told me to rma the board. Of course I'm not inclined to do that, does anyone have any other ideas? My current work around is to set vcore needlessly high, and do my OC testing after putting machine to sleep.

This is annoying, as I like to use S3 to save power (120 watts or so)...

Thanks!

srobert

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Hi, I got the exact same situation with an Asus p5q. I have not found any solution. The core drop after getting out of sleep mode. It's look like LoadLineCalibration is diabled. When LLC is enabled before sleep my vcore go up a little bit when running Prime95. If LLC is disabled, vcode drop when running Prime. One out of sleep my vcore is lower and it drop when running Prime95, resulting in BSOD. I have set my vcore higher to get stable but it's annoying I would like to run my cpu cooler.

jlawmi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I have fixed this on a few different p5q mobos. The trick seemed to be making sure the asus software six engine is not running. Removing this software fixed my problem.

Currently in my BIOS I have C1E enabled, and EIST/speedstep turned on, as well as LLC enabled.
Good luck
James

srobert

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
WOW, thanks a lot. I uninstalled the EPU-Engine and now the vcore does not drop anymore. Just strange because once overclocked the EPU-Engine is disabled. I am really happy because sleep mode is cool and now I will be able to tune my overclock correctly.

Thanks,
Sebas

jlawmi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Glad it worked for you! I spent many hours on trying to nail this down- hopefully it will help other p5q folks... Yeah I know its wierd, as it says its disabled, but apparently not completely so. Was the last thing I thought of given the way the software says its disabled.

James