phen23iy6.jpg

phen22gy8.jpg

Talk about a scrappy underdog! :D

Original link:

http://publish.it168.com/2008/1114/20081114006901.shtml

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

We both are I'm confused as to what this is attempting to amount to.

Word, Playa.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
What is the asterisk after Overclock mean?
I'd like to see what the explanation of the asterisk is for. Is it warning about overclocking, or is it to explain to use a specific type of HSF for that specific overclock?
They explained the other asterisk about the 800 series using only 6MB of L2 and L3 cache. So, why no explanation for the overclock asterisk?
Also, is that the TDP rating being used? I thought AMD used the ACP rating.

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
If these are even in the ballpark i'll think of getting one. I could do with a CPU upgrade, but the present crop of AM2+ chips just aren't worth dishing out any cash on.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

I don't think it's for LN2 cooling.
If you look at the overclocking chart, the 9950 overclock does not have an asterisk, while the Phenom II chart, does. Why? It's not for liquid or air, just for overclock.
Is this another "simulated" results asterisk? I'm just curious, since they explained the other asterisk, and not the overclock asterisk.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I see.
So, they are basing this overclock result on those 2 applications being used, as well.
But couldn't the 9950 also use the same ACC and Overdrive applications? There has been 9950's overclocking higher with the newer SB750 chipset. So, why not use the ACC and Overdrive with the 9950 as well? Or does the ACC and Overdrive only work with the Phenom II?

I'm not familiar with AMD setups, so I am just trying to understand the marketing being used here.

khelben1979

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I don't think that the Deneb cores will be anything faster than what has been achieved with the latest chips from Intel, but if I were going for a new pc setup sometime later next year(or something like that), I would be far more interested in the deneb cores than what has been released from Intel.

I earlier heard about stability problems when the Phenoms was released, especially when old Windows games was executed and in this regard I'm concerned about how good the Phenoms really are.

Anyone here who has tested the Phenoms and know if they worked good with older Windows games?

I have heard good things about Phenoms too and I suspect that Linux would, perhaps, treat it a bit better than what Windows has had and still does. And when I'm saying Windows here, I'm talking about Windows XP.

Kari

Splendid
well yeah, acc and overdrive work on the current phenoms as well... but I don't think this whole thing is necesseraly that complicated. They are just trying to market their software along the hardware and/or trying to show how much better the new phenom II will be than the current ones.

and if you look at the slide from top to bottom, the word overclock on the diagram comes 'first' on the right hand side. or something...

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Agree with Khelben. Im more interested in the Phenom II than I am i7 right now. I just dont have the money for a $320 i7 and a $250 motherboard, and then even more cash spilt for DDR3. At least with these Phenom II's I can run the 940 on an existing AM2+ 790FX and use my current OCZ Reapers instead of having to buy DDR3 and tossing this.

If they dont beat the Q9450/Q9550 for a lower/similar price, ill just hang on to my Q6600.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

ACC is not an application. It is a bios setting.

Overdrive is a software application that allows you to change things without rebooting. You can still overclock using the bios. (Which is nearly always better anyway.)

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
so we're probably looking at a $200-250 price range, possibly upwards to $300

then maybe a price drop in march/april to keep everything around the <=$200 price point

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

Okay. So, ACC is a BIOS setting and Overdrive is software based.

But that doesn't explain how the Phenom II 940 has a seemingly endless "headroom" to overclock, based on the chart shown, when using the same technology that is available for the Phenom, now.

Is all this headroom available simply due to a shrink to 45nm? It's definitely not due to power usage, especially considering that the TDP of the 940 is 125W, and the 9950 had a TDP that ranged from 125 to 140W. So, 0-15W difference and 45nm shrink equals unlimited overclocking headroom? That's a bold statement to make, and one that will be challenged, I predict.

Kari

Splendid
but then again the shanghai at 2,7GHz has TDP of 75W, so it might just be that they have overrated the TDP value for some reason (future faster chips within the same group??). The extra 300MHz shouldn't increase powerusage by 50W....

and lol at unlimited