3D stereoscopic glasses

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Any thoughts/opinion on these? I've seen most of the info Nvidia had available as far as I know, but i'd like to find more info if there is any available.

tim851

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I had a pair once, but that was ages (8 years) ago.

Besides some light headaches and eye strain, I didn't get much from them. They didn't produce much of a 3D effect at all. And when they did, it was weird, and not in the good way. The best effect came in Half Life (1) in between levels, when there was "Loading" written on the screen. The 2-dimensional writing over a 3-dimensional background actually gave some depth perception.

Overall, I thought they were a piece of crap. And given the general lack of interest in them, I'd say I'm not alone.

I used those glasses 2 years ago in a game center that was showing them off or something, lol.

Anyway, the game was CoD3 i think (some FPS WW2-alike based, not RTCW nor a Q3 engine for that matter :p) and it didn't gave the 3D experience i thought it would, nor improved my headshots per minute (HS/min, lol). They narrowed my RL FOV making me play a little farther away from the screen to actually see a clear image of the "field" (i have a little myopia, wich is kinda weird).

I didn't even asked about the price tag of those things. I wouldn't recomend them to a gamer anyway, but they were... Different... Yes... Maybe for some solo-play to get off the routine, but nothing practical IMO :p

Esop!

pauldh

Illustrious
I assume you are talking about NVidia's upcoming ones that work with a 120Hz LCD. I haven't seen much info on them yet except they are due out this year.

I too have an old pair of edimensions. Don reviewed them on Tom's a while back.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wall-sized-3d-displays,1581.html

Mine work with a CRT or with the projector as the article explains. I found it a fun novelty, especially with the projector, but not useful on all too regular a basis. If I had a decent rear projection screen that didn't darken the image too much, they may be better. You want a bright image and to sit fairly close to the screen.

It's nice to see the GF8's supported though. back when I got mine, there was no GF8 support so I couldn't use my 8800GTS 320MB and had to use a spare 7800GT instead.

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
This sounds like my experience

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

Interesting article; myself i'd largely be interested in them for playing FPS/Racing games, and he seems to indicate that they work best for those types of titles.

I was fairly interested in the newer Nvidia model, simply because they claim that it has advanced greatly with the newer generation - however i'm interested in anything which might be of the same quality. I'm sure the jury is still out on any claims Nvidia would like to make, but regardless of who is making it - the technology seems pretty fascinating.

Too bad Toms isnt savvy enough to recognize just how good these articles are. Now we end up with 121 single run old driver chart setups. Ive heard the newer setup may work alot better as its a whole tuned system for it. Looks interesting. Maybe Toms will be smart enough to do this again with the newer setup