New MB and CPU help, please

G

430w power supply
Radeon 9250

I would like to upgrade my motherboard and cpu, along with ram to build a stable system that could run Vista. Don't play many games, except for WoW.
Do not need to SLI or Raid, wont be doing any overclocking.

I was looking at the E8400 and would like some suggestions on ram and motherboard.

Budget?

My recommendations:

P35-DS3L ($83)

E7200($120)/E8400 ($170)

ATI 3850 ($90) or 8800GS($90)

4GB (2*2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ($75-$85) [With out Rebates, with Rebates $40-$60] from Corsair, G.Skill, Patriot,OCZ.

Vista x64 Home Premium w/ SP1 OEM ($110) IF getting 64bit Vista make sure you have Vista x64 drivers for printers, WiFi,etc

Corsair 450VX ($50 after Rebates)

Any ATX compatible case you want/like ($50-100)

##Prices based on Newegg##

G

thanks for the options, at this time im not looking to upgrade my video card, just mb, cpu and ram.

is there any benefit of getting a p45 based board for future upgrades? if i keep my current video card do i need to upgrade from my 430w thermaltake?

i already have a case, which i am hoping to use for this upgrade! thanks again!

byronic

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
Probably upgrading to Vista for other reasons, as the original post says "Don't play many games, except for WoW." I would assume this isn't going to be a gaming system.

thanks for the options, at this time im not looking to upgrade my video card, just mb, cpu and ram.

is there any benefit of getting a p45 based board for future upgrades? if i keep my current video card do i need to upgrade from my 430w thermaltake?

i already have a case, which i am hoping to use for this upgrade! thanks again!
You won't have a fun time running Vista (Aero) on your ancient 9250. Mind you they don't even have Vista drivers for that card. See: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Don't even mention gaming on Vista. For just playing WoW there is no point going P45. Go to P45 if doing some serious OCing (400FSB+ aka FSB1600 ).

As far as PSUs go your PSU is probably 2-3 years old. The caps in that PSU are probably degraded. And it isn't the top of the line PSU either. The Corsair PSU is a very good PSU heck you could run a 8800GTS on it.

You could save some money by dropping in a cheap E2180($65-$70) and OCing it to 2.5- 3Ghz+. [Hint: If planing to get the P35-DS3L, check out the P35-DS3L OCing guide found in this Forum]

As the ZOldDude mentioned unless you absolutely need to have Vista don't bother getting it. Vista NEEDS at least 3-4GB to run well imo along with a preyyt good GPU to game even on many non demanding games (ie WoW).