Triple GTX 280 vs Dual 4870X2-Please Help!

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
As I'm sure everyone has caught on by now, everybody wont stfu about how I want to use 3 gtx 280s. Honestly. I make a post about what case would fit this, or if a certain PSU would power it, and bam, all of the posts are "omgwtf noob lol 3 gtx 280s r waste of $ noob rofl". They probably then wish they had them. But after scanning a benchmark, I might reconsider.
Here is the 1st benchie, it supports the triple gtx 280s, especially in crysis.http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-triple-review-test/13

Heres the 2nd, which gives pretty terrible fps(compared to 3 gtx 280s, of course) in the absolute best settings for crysiss in 2650x1600 that I will be running, but appears to have higher fps in all other games. Of course, I've never even heard of this site, and its benchies are so drastically different from 3dguru's(which I trust, been a member for years and years), that I don't know. http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15293/11

So, based on this, and what you guys already know, what do you think will give better performance in crysis,cod4, and AOC(other game too, but these are by far the most demanding of what I'll play)- 3 gtx 280 OC editions in TRI-SLI, or Dual 4870X2s in quad crossfire?

Thanks.

Edit: Seriously, I'm not picking different gpus. Please, just tell me which is better for those games, and how you know.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
The 4870x2's hands down. The 280's only win in Crysis because that game is heavily optimized for nVidia. Otherwise the benchmarks speak for themselves.

someguy69

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
im gonna bet that ati fan boys will rant and rave for hours about me saying this but the 3 gtx 280's will be wickedly fast. look at it. 2 gtx 280s can almost keep up with 4 4870 cores. so imagine what 3 can do. not to mention it would just be awesome

problem is your talking about a seriously cpu limited machine. lol

Unless these benches show the 4870 quad using the 8.9 drivers, they are somewhat useless, as the 8.9s are truly the first drivers for this config. So, ignore all previous benches using older drivers, as they dont show CFX abilities as yet

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
remember, the 4870 X2 is 30% faster than the 280 GTX

Logically speaking 4870 X2 CF is 30% faster than 280 GTX sli. So that means that the extra 280 GTX would only needs to scale 30% to match the 4870 X2 CF:p

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Not sure why people would tell you not to do it. The only advise I have is to make sure you never buy your video cards from ASUS. I myself am going with the twin 4870 x2s, though if I was willing to spend the extra cash for the 3rd card, new MB and a much larger case. I would probably go with the gtx 280s.

Let us know which way you go.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
How many damn posts do you think you need to make on the subject?

Use Google for research, how lazy can you be?

After you research buy whatever you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
yea, I'd normally go with the dual 4870X2s because they're about $200 cheaper and faster in a lot of games... but Crysis is going to be my little plaything. It's gonna be the thing that tells me $1500 on GPU alone was worth it when im running 2560x1600 DX10, max settings, full AA/AF at 38fps... with the dual 4870s, its only in the unplayable 20s. Also, I kinda like nvidia more.

But I'm still unsure if crysis/far cry 2 alone are worth it, or if I should go X2s. Btw sorry if the link doesent work, just copy&paste :kaola:

Edit: Oh, and my burning question that hasn't been answered on another thread, maybe one of you know the answer... What mobo supports 3 gtx 280s, DDR2, and a X-FI sound card? Give or take the DDR2, I'd go with DDR3 if I absolutely need to, but I mainly want a mobo that can take those 3 gtx 280s and a great sound card. Thanks a ton if you know :sol:

Until either nVidia or ATI show a greater return in performance in using these solutions, its basically pointless, unless you have nothing to do but spend money. I havnt responded in your previous posts, but Im sure youve heard the same thing before, but the numbers speak for themselves, and at this point, those numbers suck compared to price/performance. If you truly want a recommendation of these 2 solutions, I gave mine. Its too early to evaluate the quad system, and actually the tri sli as well, as theyre both too new, and since it is very low on the drivers list in importance, wont get addressed as often, nor as thoroughly as any other card/solution out. If I were to guess? My guess would be on the 4xxx solution for these reasons. ATI is definately heading into the multi core CF solution as the future, so they MAY be more serious about drivers for their quad solution, and, the side port, somewheres down the road will play a part in all this. My 2 shekals worth

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

do you by any chance know the answer to the edit in my last post? I've decided to go triple gtx 280s, and I really need that question answered... havent gotten help on mobo forums

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Yea. He has 2 threads up in this section, 2 threads up in CPU's, and along with the one you linked, he has 2 others there in that section as well all with the same title http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29-183.html and 3 in general motherboard. 10 threads all on the same general topic :pt1cable: And actually its 119 post, he registered 3 days ago :D

Way too nagging and being impatient, but I decided to help him.....again, one more time with my above post. He knows what he wants to buy and is obviously not going to be swayed from his despite asking for opinions. Hes conflicted because he knows what he wants to buy isnt the best option.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
I say let him spend $1000+ for 5 more frames. It will probably be the last time he does it.

You dont have to play Crysis or any other game on absolute max to enjoy it. I think everyone should boycott Crysis until the code it better. They are in bed with Nvidia, and the whole point is to get people to pay to much money for Nvidias junk!

Thank God for ATI, or we would have $600 Nvidia crap. The 8800gtx didn't come down until is was obsoleted by ATI.

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

Don't want to waste an extra few hundred on 1 fps... DDR3 is worthless.

UltimaSlayerVII

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

Last time I'm answering about my GPUs- I WANT TO **** USE 3 GTX 280S IN SLI. THATS MY RIGHT, AND MY PROBLEM. YOU GOT SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT IT? TOO **** BAD. IM NOT ASKING FOR YOU TO PAY FOR IT, SO STFU.

And excuse me, but I think I deserve to play games on the absolute highest settings for once in my life after sitting on a comp with a 2ghz P4, 80gb 5.4k rpm HDD, A GEFORCE 440MX, and 512mb ram. I havent even been able to run CSS on low. I've been saving up $ for 4 YEARS, and now I want to buy these GPUs. Who the **** are you to tell me I cant?

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

Then pick the DDR2 version. If you wernt so damn lazy and bothered to look for stuff yourself instead of posting the same things 500x over up here sounding like a bragging beggar, and read some benchmarks/prior post then all your problems would be solved.

Youve been given fair enough warning in each and every one of these threads you have made regarding the hardware you insist on buying, 10 to be exact. Nobody is being a jackass here except you. Youve been given MORE than ample enough advice, susgestions, opinions and options from various hardware veterans yet it isnt good enough for you. I really dont know what to tell you anymore since you dont want to hear anything.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
if it was me that was spending that kind of cash on 3 280 id wait for intels new processor that supports sli, i and a lot of ppl on this forum will tell you to keep away from any motherboard with an nvidia chipset, plus the 4870x2 is going to rock as more modern game's come out

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

If your gonna buy them, go to www.newegg.com and buy them already, no one cares.

You dont want to waste money on DDR3 for a few frames but you will waste over 800 for your 2nd and 3rd gpu for a few frames. You dont even make sense.

You would get more out of a x48 and a 4870 x2 then your stupid idea, and save 100s of dollars.

Buy them already and dont come crying when you still cant max out Crysis.

crysis900

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

/thread. You don't realize that going from 2 GTX280's to 3 GTX280's get's u less than 5fps overall, except in a few situations at 2560X1600. I realize u want a super duper PC that will run everything maxed out, including Crysis, but even 3 GTX280's can't do it. Since u have SOOOOO MUCH $$$$, wait a month and get Nehalem. U'll probably be end up spending less than your config now.

Core i7 Nehalem 3.2ghz Quad Extreme
6gb DDR3
2 4870x2's
Intel X25M SSD
X58