Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Triple GTX 280 vs Dual 4870X2-Please Help!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 23, 2008 2:45:48 AM

As I'm sure everyone has caught on by now, everybody wont stfu about how I want to use 3 gtx 280s. Honestly. I make a post about what case would fit this, or if a certain PSU would power it, and bam, all of the posts are "omgwtf noob lol 3 gtx 280s r waste of $ noob rofl". They probably then wish they had them. But after scanning a benchmark, I might reconsider.
Here is the 1st benchie, it supports the triple gtx 280s, especially in crysis.http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-tripl...

Heres the 2nd, which gives pretty terrible fps(compared to 3 gtx 280s, of course) in the absolute best settings for crysiss in 2650x1600 that I will be running, but appears to have higher fps in all other games. Of course, I've never even heard of this site, and its benchies are so drastically different from 3dguru's(which I trust, been a member for years and years), that I don't know. http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15293/11

So, based on this, and what you guys already know, what do you think will give better performance in crysis,cod4, and AOC(other game too, but these are by far the most demanding of what I'll play)- 3 gtx 280 OC editions in TRI-SLI, or Dual 4870X2s in quad crossfire?

Thanks.

Edit: Seriously, I'm not picking different gpus. Please, just tell me which is better for those games, and how you know.

More about : triple gtx 280 dual 4870x2

September 23, 2008 3:48:35 AM

The 4870x2's hands down. The 280's only win in Crysis because that game is heavily optimized for nVidia. Otherwise the benchmarks speak for themselves.
Related resources
September 23, 2008 3:48:54 AM

im gonna bet that ati fan boys will rant and rave for hours about me saying this but the 3 gtx 280's will be wickedly fast. look at it. 2 gtx 280s can almost keep up with 4 4870 cores. so imagine what 3 can do. not to mention it would just be awesome

problem is your talking about a seriously cpu limited machine. lol
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 3:53:47 AM

Unless these benches show the 4870 quad using the 8.9 drivers, they are somewhat useless, as the 8.9s are truly the first drivers for this config. So, ignore all previous benches using older drivers, as they dont show CFX abilities as yet
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 3:58:07 AM

May as well show benches on pre sli for G200 benches. Its nothing more than maturing drivers. One card is a month old, the other? Give it three more months and readdress this
September 23, 2008 4:22:37 AM

remember, the 4870 X2 is 30% faster than the 280 GTX

Logically speaking 4870 X2 CF is 30% faster than 280 GTX sli. So that means that the extra 280 GTX would only needs to scale 30% to match the 4870 X2 CF:p 
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 4:39:11 AM

Ecept those games where the 4870x2 beats G200 in sli by itslef, which also tend to be newer games as well.
September 23, 2008 4:39:56 AM

Not sure why people would tell you not to do it. The only advise I have is to make sure you never buy your video cards from ASUS. I myself am going with the twin 4870 x2s, though if I was willing to spend the extra cash for the 3rd card, new MB and a much larger case. I would probably go with the gtx 280s.

Let us know which way you go.



UltimaSlayerVII said:
As I'm sure everyone has caught on by now, everybody wont stfu about how I want to use 3 gtx 280s. Honestly. I make a post about what case would fit this, or if a certain PSU would power it, and bam, all of the posts are "omgwtf noob lol 3 gtx 280s r waste of $ noob rofl". They probably then wish they had them. But after scanning a benchmark, I might reconsider.
Here is the 1st benchie, it supports the triple gtx 280s, especially in crysis.http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-tripl...

Heres the 2nd, which gives pretty terrible fps(compared to 3 gtx 280s, of course) in the absolute best settings for crysiss in 2650x1600 that I will be running, but appears to have higher fps in all other games. Of course, I've never even heard of this site, and its benchies are so drastically different from 3dguru's(which I trust, been a member for years and years), that I don't know. http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15293/11

So, based on this, and what you guys already know, what do you think will give better performance in crysis,cod4, and AOC(other game too, but these are by far the most demanding of what I'll play)- 3 gtx 280 OC editions in TRI-SLI, or Dual 4870X2s in quad crossfire?

Thanks.

Edit: Seriously, I'm not picking different gpus. Please, just tell me which is better for those games, and how you know.

a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 4:44:32 AM

Of course, as we havnt really seen the potential of the quadfire solution as its too new, and so far the drivers have focused on DX10, the only 1 that we do have, like I said. :p 
September 23, 2008 4:56:42 AM

How many damn posts do you think you need to make on the subject?

Use Google for research, how lazy can you be?

After you research buy whatever you want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 23, 2008 5:08:25 AM

yea, I'd normally go with the dual 4870X2s because they're about $200 cheaper and faster in a lot of games... but Crysis is going to be my little plaything. It's gonna be the thing that tells me $1500 on GPU alone was worth it when im running 2560x1600 DX10, max settings, full AA/AF at 38fps... with the dual 4870s, its only in the unplayable 20s. Also, I kinda like nvidia more.

But I'm still unsure if crysis/far cry 2 alone are worth it, or if I should go X2s. Btw sorry if the link doesent work, just copy&paste :kaola: 

Edit: Oh, and my burning question that hasn't been answered on another thread, maybe one of you know the answer... What mobo supports 3 gtx 280s, DDR2, and a X-FI sound card? Give or take the DDR2, I'd go with DDR3 if I absolutely need to, but I mainly want a mobo that can take those 3 gtx 280s and a great sound card. Thanks a ton if you know :sol: 
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 5:15:27 AM

Until either nVidia or ATI show a greater return in performance in using these solutions, its basically pointless, unless you have nothing to do but spend money. I havnt responded in your previous posts, but Im sure youve heard the same thing before, but the numbers speak for themselves, and at this point, those numbers suck compared to price/performance. If you truly want a recommendation of these 2 solutions, I gave mine. Its too early to evaluate the quad system, and actually the tri sli as well, as theyre both too new, and since it is very low on the drivers list in importance, wont get addressed as often, nor as thoroughly as any other card/solution out. If I were to guess? My guess would be on the 4xxx solution for these reasons. ATI is definately heading into the multi core CF solution as the future, so they MAY be more serious about drivers for their quad solution, and, the side port, somewheres down the road will play a part in all this. My 2 shekals worth
September 23, 2008 2:40:45 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Until either nVidia or ATI show a greater return in performance in using these solutions, its basically pointless, unless you have nothing to do but spend money. I havnt responded in your previous posts, but Im sure youve heard the same thing before, but the numbers speak for themselves, and at this point, those numbers suck compared to price/performance. If you truly want a recommendation of these 2 solutions, I gave mine. Its too early to evaluate the quad system, and actually the tri sli as well, as theyre both too new, and since it is very low on the drivers list in importance, wont get addressed as often, nor as thoroughly as any other card/solution out. If I were to guess? My guess would be on the 4xxx solution for these reasons. ATI is definately heading into the multi core CF solution as the future, so they MAY be more serious about drivers for their quad solution, and, the side port, somewheres down the road will play a part in all this. My 2 shekals worth


do you by any chance know the answer to the edit in my last post? I've decided to go triple gtx 280s, and I really need that question answered... havent gotten help on mobo forums
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 10:08:40 PM

... wtf ultima slayer... you asked this question in ANOTHER thread... and were answered sufficiently

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249062-29-should-wate...


EDIT: spelling... also... hmm... ultima, you wonder why you haven't gotten help on this in the mobo section? you've only started like 8 threads on this... cmon... you've racked up like 60 posts with these threads... ridiculous
September 23, 2008 10:15:10 PM

Yea. He has 2 threads up in this section, 2 threads up in CPU's, and along with the one you linked, he has 2 others there in that section as well all with the same title http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29-183.html and 3 in general motherboard. 10 threads all on the same general topic :pt1cable:  And actually its 119 post, he registered 3 days ago :D 

Way too nagging and being impatient, but I decided to help him.....again, one more time with my above post. He knows what he wants to buy and is obviously not going to be swayed from his despite asking for opinions. Hes conflicted because he knows what he wants to buy isnt the best option.
September 23, 2008 10:26:36 PM

I say let him spend $1000+ for 5 more frames. It will probably be the last time he does it.

You dont have to play Crysis or any other game on absolute max to enjoy it. I think everyone should boycott Crysis until the code it better. They are in bed with Nvidia, and the whole point is to get people to pay to much money for Nvidias junk!

Thank God for ATI, or we would have $600 Nvidia crap. The 8800gtx didn't come down until is was obsoleted by ATI.
September 23, 2008 10:30:24 PM

Good point. If the 4800's did bomb, the GTX280 would still be $650.
September 24, 2008 12:04:33 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
I say let him spend $1000+ for 5 more frames. It will probably be the last time he does it.

You dont have to play Crysis or any other game on absolute max to enjoy it. I think everyone should boycott Crysis until the code it better. They are in bed with Nvidia, and the whole point is to get people to pay to much money for Nvidias junk!

Thank God for ATI, or we would have $600 Nvidia crap. The 8800gtx didn't come down until is was obsoleted by ATI.


Last time I'm answering about my GPUs- I WANT TO **** USE 3 GTX 280S IN SLI. THATS MY RIGHT, AND MY PROBLEM. YOU GOT SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT IT? TOO **** BAD. IM NOT ASKING FOR YOU TO PAY FOR IT, SO STFU.

And excuse me, but I think I deserve to play games on the absolute highest settings for once in my life after sitting on a comp with a 2ghz P4, 80gb 5.4k rpm HDD, A GEFORCE 440MX, and 512mb ram. I havent even been able to run CSS on low. I've been saving up $ for 4 YEARS, and now I want to buy these GPUs. Who the **** are you to tell me I cant?
September 24, 2008 12:21:58 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
Don't want to waste an extra few hundred on 1 fps... DDR3 is worthless.


Then pick the DDR2 version. If you wernt so damn lazy and bothered to look for stuff yourself instead of posting the same things 500x over up here sounding like a bragging beggar, and read some benchmarks/prior post then all your problems would be solved.

Youve been given fair enough warning in each and every one of these threads you have made regarding the hardware you insist on buying, 10 to be exact. Nobody is being a jackass here except you. Youve been given MORE than ample enough advice, susgestions, opinions and options from various hardware veterans yet it isnt good enough for you. I really dont know what to tell you anymore since you dont want to hear anything.
September 24, 2008 12:38:29 AM

if it was me that was spending that kind of cash on 3 280 id wait for intels new processor that supports sli, i and a lot of ppl on this forum will tell you to keep away from any motherboard with an nvidia chipset, plus the 4870x2 is going to rock as more modern game's come out
September 24, 2008 12:56:37 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
Last time I'm answering about my GPUs- I WANT TO **** USE 3 GTX 280S IN SLI. THATS MY RIGHT, AND MY PROBLEM. YOU GOT SOMETHING TO SAY ABOUT IT? TOO **** BAD. IM NOT ASKING FOR YOU TO PAY FOR IT, SO STFU.

And excuse me, but I think I deserve to play games on the absolute highest settings for once in my life after sitting on a comp with a 2ghz P4, 80gb 5.4k rpm HDD, A GEFORCE 440MX, and 512mb ram. I havent even been able to run CSS on low. I've been saving up $ for 4 YEARS, and now I want to buy these GPUs. Who the **** are you to tell me I cant?



If your gonna buy them, go to www.newegg.com and buy them already, no one cares.

You dont want to waste money on DDR3 for a few frames but you will waste over 800 for your 2nd and 3rd gpu for a few frames. You dont even make sense.

You would get more out of a x48 and a 4870 x2 then your stupid idea, and save 100s of dollars.

Buy them already and dont come crying when you still cant max out Crysis.
September 24, 2008 2:14:13 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
If your gonna buy them, go to www.newegg.com and buy them already, no one cares.

You dont want to waste money on DDR3 for a few frames but you will waste over 800 for your 2nd and 3rd gpu for a few frames. You dont even make sense.

You would get more out of a x48 and a 4870 x2 then your stupid idea, and save 100s of dollars.

Buy them already and dont come crying when you still cant max out Crysis.


/thread. You don't realize that going from 2 GTX280's to 3 GTX280's get's u less than 5fps overall, except in a few situations at 2560X1600. I realize u want a super duper PC that will run everything maxed out, including Crysis, but even 3 GTX280's can't do it. Since u have SOOOOO MUCH $$$$, wait a month and get Nehalem. U'll probably be end up spending less than your config now.

Core i7 Nehalem 3.2ghz Quad Extreme
6gb DDR3
2 4870x2's
Intel X25M SSD
X58
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2008 3:08:33 AM

hey

let him waste his money

people like him keep the economy going

why save a 1200 bucks and get a pretty good mid-high end bulid that will last you a good couple of years if you just spend maybe 400 dollars on incremental upgrades... hmm... thats what? 1600 over lets say 4 years... thats 400 bucks a year...

versus... 3000 for 3 years... because all your old sh*t will be out dated in two years thats why you get incremental upgrades... so for your system your paying 1000 dollars a year....

for 20 % more performance.... not worth the 250% increase in cost AT ALL
September 24, 2008 3:33:40 AM

Software and hardware are advancing at such a quick pace that you cant really "buy for the future" anymore. Hell, anymore.....you have never been able to "buy for the future" when it comes to PC's, there will always be something better. Just ask GTX 260 owners.

People just like the OP went and spent $1000 on 8800GTX's in SLi, only to get their spirits CRUSHED by Crysis. Yea its just one game...one bad game, but it makes video cards perform like ****, and its made to be a spirit breaker.
September 24, 2008 3:25:17 PM

crysis900 said:
/thread. You don't realize that going from 2 GTX280's to 3 GTX280's get's u less than 5fps overall, except in a few situations at 2560X1600. I realize u want a super duper PC that will run everything maxed out, including Crysis, but even 3 GTX280's can't do it. Since u have SOOOOO MUCH $$$$, wait a month and get Nehalem. U'll probably be end up spending less than your config now.

Core i7 Nehalem 3.2ghz Quad Extreme
6gb DDR3
2 4870x2's
Intel X25M SSD
X58


For the last **** time, http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-tripl...

Now shut the **** up and stop telling me what to do with my money bitch
September 24, 2008 5:12:35 PM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
For the last **** time, http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-tripl...

Now shut the **** up and stop telling me what to do with my money bitch


A) you asked for help so the money stuff falls under our opinion now
B) I'll repeat again,, there was no AA enabled in the muther trucking benchmarks, the Settings were maxed out not the AA.
C) learn to receive critism that ppl take time out of their lives to answer you for free, and want to make sure what you need doesn't waste your money


You want to b a prick and just sh! t talk our opinon then go buy w.e the hell you want you want to blow money on 280 just for 1 game that doesn't bench the way its supposed to.

Tri is just pointless, the only reason I have is because it belongs to my friend, and I HAVE A CHOICE to exchange my GX2s for these 3. In all honesty there is nothing big here. Please just grow up and learn to get criticism.

There is noway that you can get great perfromance around the clock because everything varies when it comes to computers.


AND PLEASE, YOU JUST MADE A POST ABOUT THIS AND WE HAD THE EXACT SAME CONVERSION!!! STOP BEING LAZY AND GOOGLE THE INFORMATION IF YOU CAN'T APPRECIATE OUR ANSWERS!
September 24, 2008 10:23:45 PM

Give up L1qu1d. Ive been trying to deal with this tool for days in about 4 of his 10 threads on the same topic. Hes just a prick looking someplace to brag about his $4000 rig thats hes saved up for 4 years, allegedly.

Hes "asked" for help in all 10 of his threads yet he hasnt taken a single susgestion or piece of advice, all hes done is debunk everybody and everything, period. This is a sure sign of one of two things.

A. He dosent even have the money for this system and is just a troll.
B. Hes just some guy that ran into a lot of money, knows nothing about PC hardware (this is obvious) and just wants to brag.

Despite being a total jerk hes still recieving help from people. I dont know what more he wants.
September 24, 2008 10:36:50 PM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
For the last **** time, http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-280-sli-tripl...

Now shut the **** up and stop telling me what to do with my money bitch


You're a ****' idiot. DO IT, SPEND ALL OF YOUR MONEY RIGHT NOW, THIS SECOND. You know SOOOO MUCH more than all of us, so just spend your incredible fortune. Six months from now, you'll be crying. Why? BECAUSE YOU BLEW OVER $1200 ON GRAPHICS CARDS THAT BECOME OBSOLETE EVERY 3 MONTHS. So do it, Newegg wants your buisness. Have fun wasting your money douchebag.
September 24, 2008 11:45:03 PM

Now those 2 posts ^ are my favorite responses in this thread:D 

I'd say go quad 280 GTXs I mean its bound to run Crysis with MAX AA:D 
September 25, 2008 1:37:27 AM

crysis900 said:
You're a ****' idiot. DO IT, SPEND ALL OF YOUR MONEY RIGHT NOW, THIS SECOND. You know SOOOO MUCH more than all of us, so just spend your incredible fortune. Six months from now, you'll be crying. Why? BECAUSE YOU BLEW OVER $1200 ON GRAPHICS CARDS THAT BECOME OBSOLETE EVERY 3 MONTHS. So do it, Newegg wants your buisness. Have fun wasting your money douchebag.


SO WHAT, 1 GTX 280 WOULDNT BECOME OBSELETE IN3 MONTHS? IN THAT CASE THEYD BECOME OBSELETE IN 1 MONTH. MAY AS WELL GET A GEFORCE MX THEN, RIGHT?
September 25, 2008 2:11:15 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
SO WHAT, 1 GTX 280 WOULDNT BECOME OBSELETE IN3 MONTHS? IN THAT CASE THEYD BECOME OBSELETE IN 1 MONTH. MAY AS WELL GET A GEFORCE MX THEN, RIGHT?


MX 400's dont support Tri-SLi, sorry. :pt1cable: 
September 25, 2008 3:06:20 AM

its not about being obselete its about being able to afford (and not piss it away) decent new cards as soon as you feel that these cards don't pull their weight.

Why spend money on tri 280 GTXs now, when You can get 1 280 GTX or 1 4870 X2 and wait 1 month or 2 for price drops?

or is there some need for you to see 200 fps ? You do kno you only need 60 fps lol. Or are you an enthusiast?

I cap most of my frames (except Crysis, which I'll be happy if I could) @ 62:) 

Anyways dude you look like you've already made your choice and your just looking for some1 to say just the right thing to tickle your fancy.


I'm not going to be the one that does that, and no1 here will either, you want to buy the 280 GTX go ahead like every1 said its your money. Just don't start complaining in these forums 3 months from now saying omg I'm getting 30 fps in Crysis 3 ...blah blah blah

sigh...
September 25, 2008 3:26:16 AM

UltimaSlayerVII said:
SO WHAT, 1 GTX 280 WOULDNT BECOME OBSELETE IN3 MONTHS? IN THAT CASE THEYD BECOME OBSELETE IN 1 MONTH. MAY AS WELL GET A GEFORCE MX THEN, RIGHT?


^ Take a deep breathe buddy and try to type that again so it makes sense. Unless you want to speak nonsense. Judging from this thread, that's right up your alley.
October 11, 2008 10:06:43 AM

The best combination is a single GTX and a 4870x2 -- run them in sli-fire on an 890i nvidia chipset mobo, and you'll get the best of both worlds.

Good luck.
October 11, 2008 1:28:49 PM

that would be awesome:) 
October 11, 2008 3:23:52 PM

It would

but Ultima is all BS In one post hes going to college, another he says he has small hands for a mouse cause hes 14. A 14 whos been saving $5k for this build
Hes too dumb to build a computer (doesnt kno dif. between Rom and RW)
and based on other posts it sounds like he has his Q9550 already
October 12, 2008 10:02:19 PM

dude dont forget to go the Skulltrail way...
October 12, 2008 10:10:50 PM

naw thats just a waste of cashiola, and drivers are terrible I heard:) 
October 12, 2008 10:36:33 PM

Skulltrail had potential, but limiting it to the $1000 processors was dooming it from the start. That board with a pair of Q6600's or E8400's and the like would be modestly priced, and I know a good handfull of Nvidia peps would buy it just to avoid having to deal with **** 700i boards.
October 13, 2008 12:19:41 PM

Hey Guys, i thought i might jump on the band wagon in this one, I have spent many many many hours looking at solutions as i just did a big spend myself XFX 790i Ultra, 2.88Ghz Quad Core, 2gigz DDR3 1333 and yes 2 x GTX280's, after all this i am still left wanting, DDR3 2000 is stupidly overpriced and the GTX280s are power hungry as, ive spent about $4500 NZD on this build and there is so much more that i could spend getting it maxed out. The drivers in paticular seem to be lacking for these cards so ill just hold my breath and hope there are some drastic changes. Oh and Crysis = Mega Fail and bugs galore!