How and how much to apply thermal compound??

Pavilion

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I finally received all my stuff and am trying to piece them together.

The first question I have is: how do I applied the thermal compound and how much should I use??

CPU: Q9550
Cooler: Nirvana NV120
Thermal Compound: MX-2

As a newbie, I am really afraid to fry that CPU. Please help me out and I highly appreciate your contribution.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Great question. Always a good thing to check the proper procedure before starting.

The link below will take you to a PDF file from Artic Silver's inforamation about how much and where to apply the compound. Even though you don't have this product, the principle is still the same.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

edit: On a side note, when they say a small amount, they do mean small. Applying too much compound can act as an insulator instead of a "gap" filler.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
If you -clean- the new parts first with Acetone then Alcohol you only need a "speck" about the size of an uncooked grain of rice.

Clean parts and correct application lets the cheap 99 cent silicon TIM give the same results as $100 per oz over priced stuff.

Use the forums search function to bring up a step-by-step "how to" post I made in the past.

Pay close attention to the cleaning and the pre-application steps...like primeing HS and CPU befor putting together.

Pavilion

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008

What is "silicon TIM"?? Haven't heard of it before...
Also, does HS means the high speed fan? or something else??

I did a "how to" search under your name, but I still can't find that step-by-step how to post... Do you have a link??