Cpu cooler direction in case

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
With my current motherboard, it means that the space beween the cpu cooler and the hard drives are decreased, so there is less air to get inbetween the cpu fan and the two hard drives i have. What i'm concidering to do is to turn my zalman cooler on my xfx 8300 motherboard so that the fan is facing the grahpics card. The pci express x 16 is on the second slot downwards so there is plenty of room between my gpu and cpu cooler. The PSU is directly above the cpu cooler, and there is also an air vent right next to the cpu cooler facing the gpu. There is also a case fan as well on the back of the case. What i'm asking is would it be safe to have the cpu cooler facing the back of the graphics card? Does the graphics card heat up it's back? The graphics card is covered with aluminium covering, it's an xfx gts 250. I know the best way would be having the graphics card facing the same direction as the case fan, this way i am asking it would be facing at a 90 degree angle, but the cooler would be blowing towards it and the psu. Does anyone suggest that i don't turn my cooler so that it is facing the back of the graphics card?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
The idea,as I understand it,,is to take advantage of the fact that hot air rises,therefore we need to get the hot air to the top and back of any given system,unless of course the case is designed otherwise..
Could be that if you push the hot air from the cpu onto the back of your video card you might overheat it...:)

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
no you're not getting it. The fan will be facing the video card, and will be blowing hot air upwards to the psu and there is a case fan on a right angle to it. When i say facing i mean the fan side of the cpu cooler is facing the back of the graphics cards, notice cpu coolers blow backwards from their fans so that the air from the fan can cool the alluminium fins. So you get what i mean. What i'm also saying is that there is more space between the fan and the graphics card than there is space between the hard drives and the fan. This is because of my paticular motherboard and also case, but it is mainly with the motherboard which is of an untypical design to most other motherboards. I was asking would it be safe to turn the cpu cooler so the fan is on the graphics card side so that it blows air to the top of the case? But then i was worrying that the back of the graphics card heats up and so the air going throught the fan would be partially heated thus not cooling the alluminium fins properly. There is also a mini air vent the size of the width of the cooler it's self, and also a smaller air vent at the back of the cpu cooler, nearer the psu side, so would this be ok to do this.

I cannot figure out from your description exactly what you are asking.

Pictures?

Or ...
It would be a lot of work, but you could try both configurations and use whichever worked best.

Nashsafc

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
i don't know because i have. But they seem to be the same. Ok anyway in your opinion. Does the back of the graphics card heat up quite a bit. So one shouldn't put a cpu cooler's fan facing the graphics card? because it will pull hot air in from the back of the graphics card?