Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5Q broken motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 17, 2008 12:46:17 PM

Hi,

I'm having a huge problem installing my new system, I just can't get windows installed.

Motherboard: Asus P5Q
Memory: Kingston HyperX 1GB DDR2-1066
Hard disk: Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 320GB 3.5i SATA
Video card: MSI N9600GT-T2D512-OC
power supply: Coolermaster Real Power M520 modulair
As you can see I just connected the basic parts of the system.

During the installation of windows xp the system freezes at the point when the setup is about to install the hardware. The system is freezed and the only thing I can do is reset the computer. There's nothing wrong with the windows cd, I've installed it on several other computers.

Things I've tried to fix the problem
- Memory test (memtest86): No errors reported.
- Used a different brand new hard disk
- Used a different brand new video card
- Loaded Bios default settings
- Disabled all onboard devices
- Tried to boot with a linux live cd (failed) it runs on my laptop so the cd is oke.

All these things have no effect, I'm really out of ideas right now :??: 
Is there anyone who might knows how I can solve this problem? Is my CPU broke of my motherboard? How can I test this?

Yours,
Harry
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2008 1:33:56 PM

So you just have the 1 stick of memory installed?

Did you go into the BIOS and confirm that the memory is running at the correct voltage and timings?

How long did you run memtest?

What CPU temp is reported in the BIOS?

Have you verified that the CPU cooler is properly attached, and that all 4 pins are fully engaged in the board?
December 17, 2008 1:51:45 PM

Bump for checking memory out.

Sounds like it could be a faulty optical drive to me. Problems with 2 different disks that work in other systems? I would start there.
Related resources
December 17, 2008 2:02:45 PM

Proximon said:
So you just have the 1 stick of memory installed?

Did you go into the BIOS and confirm that the memory is running at the correct voltage and timings?

How long did you run memtest?

What CPU temp is reported in the BIOS?

Have you verified that the CPU cooler is properly attached, and that all 4 pins are fully engaged in the board?

- I've indeed just 1 stick of memory installed. DRAM voltage is set to auto which is 1.80V as I can see in the bios also the voltage is set at out. Now I've manually set the
timings to 5-5-5-15
voltage to 2.2V
DRAM frequency to 1066MHZ
these settings are stated on the Kingston's website.

I did run the memtest for like 25 minutes.

- CPU temp: 31 degrees Celsius / 87.5 degrees Fahrenheit
- The CPU Cooler is up and running I'm using a zalman CNPS 9700 but the CPU fan cable has got just 3 holes. The one on the left is not connected. Check this .jpg for details please!

December 17, 2008 2:08:07 PM

I'm checking at the moment if it works if I manually set the memory parameters! (I'm can not edit my reply that why I'm doing it this way)
December 17, 2008 2:13:05 PM

Memtest 25 minutes wont tell you nothing. 8 hours minimum.
December 17, 2008 2:26:43 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Memtest 25 minutes wont tell you nothing. 8 hours minimum.

Setting manual parameters did not work. I'm running test 9 from mem-test now because I didn't do that one. It says it takes 90 minutes to complete.

Memtest doesn't recognize a intel core 2 duo processor is it? The program says I'm running a Pentium III @2539MHZ with a L1 cache from 64K and the size on L2 cache is unknown. Is that correct or could there be something wrong with the processor?
December 17, 2008 3:01:22 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
What CPU do you actually have? If it is a e8400, 8500, or 8600, or q9550 e0 stepping your bios probably needs updated.

Again if you have eo stepping you probably need a bios update.

Bios 1004 is the one for E0 support.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

I've a Intel core 2 duo 7200 sorry forgot to mention that!
December 17, 2008 3:17:14 PM

If it is freezing up this might not fix it, but you should know that you can't install XP on a SATA controller without the drivers. You will need another computer to either put the drivers on a floppy or to slipstream them onto the XP cd. Your P5Q has a floppy controller. This is the simplest option. Hit F8 when it asks for drivers. It will not ask for the floppy for a few minutes. You can create the floppy from an option on the P5Q cd disc.

Slipstream is the best way. You can put all your drivers and service packs on the cd. Download nlite. Very easy to use. Copy your XP cd to a directory on another PC. Run nlite. Select your options: service pack, drivers, burn cd. You won't be able to add video drivers or sound drivers that have their on installation exes, but you can do the disk controllers and anything else with inf files.
December 17, 2008 5:55:46 PM

You can run xp on a sata controller without drivers. It called ide mode. It works fine, and if this was the issue the OP wouldnt get as far as he gets.

Download the latest bios on a diff pc and flash it with ez flash. Read the manual it will tell you how.
December 17, 2008 7:03:16 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
You can run xp on a sata controller without drivers. It called ide mode. It works fine, and if this was the issue the OP wouldnt get as far as he gets.

Download the latest bios on a diff pc and flash it with ez flash. Read the manual it will tell you how.

I'm a bit scared to flash the bios and I doubt it will make any difference or am I completely wrong with this?
I have replaced every single piece of hardware except for the CPU and the motherboard. I'm going back to the shop tomorrow and claim the motherboard is broken. I am really out of options. :fou: 
December 17, 2008 7:23:57 PM

Go into your bios and see what mode yout SATA controller is in. First page of the bios. Main. Go to "Storage Configuration". Hit enter and it will show a new screen. "Configure SATA as" will be highlighted with the value to the right. What is this value?

You should at least check before you give up.
December 17, 2008 7:24:22 PM

If you follow the directions the bios will be simple.

I still think it is very possible your DVD drive is defective.
!