Office 2010 slides slow to show up/change

Last response: in Windows XP
January 28, 2011 2:40:00 AM

Data:
Gigabyte 2.0 MHz;
1280 MB ram;
XP Pro with SP3;
Office 2010 Professional Plus
I installed Office 2010 and when I click for the Powerpoint show to begin, it takes 3 to 5 seconds for the slide to show up on the second monitor. Slides with text only, no pictures. Text like page 1, page 2, and page 3 the only thing on the slides. It had a 16 meg primary and 4 meg secondary video card, and 512 ram. I upgraded to Radeon 128 meg primary and Nvidia 64 meg secondary video cards, added 1 gig ram, and changed from cd to dvd drive, which required a reactivation of XP. With all the new stuff, it still takes 3 to 5 seconds for the slide to show up on the secondary monitor. I tried presenter view, no help. This computer is only for the pastor's desk so he can see what the slides will look like on the wall, but it should be a lot faster. When I click to start the show, a popup box tells me the video cards are not configured correctly, but by clicking the help menu in the box it only tells me about presenter view, which is no help.
I have Office 2010 and XP installed on a slower computer with less ram and it works fine, so I doubt it is a compatibility issue. I have defragged, removed temp files, and done everything I can think of. I updated the two video card drivers, which caused a blue screen of death, so I had to revert back. But then, it was no faster with the 16 and 4 meg cards. I am pretty well up on software and hardware (I ran the help desk for one of the Shell Oil facilities) so I can make any changes necessary to make this work, if someone can tell me what will help. Thanks in advance, Jon
January 29, 2011 11:18:14 PM

I may have found my own solution. I found that Powerpoint 2010 requires GPU pixel shader 2.0 and mine does not. I have tried several cards I had on hand, but apparently I will need to buy a new one.
m
l
February 9, 2011 12:29:43 PM

I needed to have this working rather quickly, so I formatted, did a new install of Windows 7, and then a new one of Office 2010. Using the same video card, now Powerpoint works like it should. I have another slower computer with less ram running Windows XP SP3 and Office 2010 without the shader 3 and it works OK, so I have to kind of guess that something about the hardware configuration combined with XP and Office 2020 that caused the problem. I realize not everyone who reads this will be able to use my solution, but I had to go with what worked. I think the important thing is in the end, a video card that has shader 3 was not required.
m
l
!