New Computer not booting up

surfinman945

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I have recently (today) built my computer, and it doesn't boot up. The motherboard lights go on as well as the LEDs on the sound card. I have ensured all connections are properly made and nothing is wrong with the connections. However, when I press the power button the system does not start, the computer makes no sound and doesn't even hint that the button was pressed. I believe the power button is the culprit because it is a touch sensitive button and may have been made wrong or broke during the shipping process. The only reason I can't verify this is because my motherboard doesn't have a power button on it.

My system specs are:
Cooler Master Cosmos S
Asus P5E motherboard
Intel E8400
SupremeFX II
Corsair Dominator 2GB RAM
EVGA Geforce 260 GTX FTW edition
Silverstone olympia 850W

sisley_111

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
You can simulate the power button by shorting the two power switch pins on the front panel connector with a screwdriver. Be careful.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
You can actually use any metalic conducting object to short the pins (make sure you check your motherboard manual to find the right one). A screwdriver is a good choice but I've also used paperclips. You can also try to obtain a "normal" power switch from an old/discarded computer.

-mcg