CPU temp with stock cooler

drew2000

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
All,
I realize the stock cooler is not adequate for high stress loads, but I am still working with it for now (non overclocked at the moment). For now I am just working on cooling optimization for my case.

Intel i7 920 D0 (2.67GHz)
ASUS P6T SE
6GB RAM

Normal Idle Temp= 40c (CPU) 45c (MB)
Room Temp is = 21c

After 10 seconds on any prime95 test, my CPU is at 80c.

Does this signal a major cooling issue, or is it par for the course with the stock heatsink and fan?

Looks like I need to upgrade, since this is not even overclocked.

Thanks,
Drew

Solution
Yep, heatsink isn't seated properly.
Put even weight on all four push pins.

Edit: although I'm assuming the stock heatsink wont let you get to 80C, since Intel's spec is below this.

drew2000

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Ouch, just digging around I can see I am way off the mark, with the Intel spec being 67c.

It seems like the heatsink is attached right, but I am starting to have my doubts...

Drew

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yep, heatsink isn't seated properly.
Put even weight on all four push pins.

Edit: although I'm assuming the stock heatsink wont let you get to 80C, since Intel's spec is below this.

Solution

drew2000

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
That must be it. I've had a really tough time with the push pins. The first time I installed the retail cooler it went in great, but ever since then I've doubted that it has snapped in right. I think I screwed up the OEM therma paste too, since I've had the cooler off a few times. I bought a new tube so I'll clean it up really well and give reseating it one more try.

I'm not a big fan of the push pins though...just my $.02.

Drew

drew2000

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Ok, here is the update. I actually ordered a new case (Antec 300). I figured if I was going to pull the mobo to reseat the heatsink, I'd take the opportunity to do some upgrades. I also cleaned up the old heatsink and CPU, and reapplied fresh thermal paste. It was still a bit of a leap of faith, but I do think I got the push pins seated correctly this time.

Now if I run Prime95 it no longer jumps to 80c, but it is more of a slow crawl upwards. It gets to about 70c after about 20-30 seconds.

That is as far as I let it go considering thermal spec is 67c.

Although this is clearly an improvement, what do you think about Prime95 taking it all the way up to 70c? Should it be able to do that, or should the stock cooling hold out and keep it lower despite the heavy load?

Drew

drew2000

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
Things are starting to look better. I enable the ASUS Q-fan control in the BIOS. I have been running Prime95 for 5 minutes now and have not moved higher than 62C. This is much better, however I am going to re-do the test after I change the BIOS setting back. My fan is still running at 1875, which is what it was running at before I enabled the Q-fan setting.

I'll take a 62C stable system though, works for me! :)

Drew