DVD writer has stopped recognizing blank dvds

Hello,

My DVD writer has stopped recognizing blank dvds halfway through a stack of them. Burning programs claim the dvds already have some data on them. I tried another batch of the same SONY DVD+R x16 brand (even bought them in another country), which worked fine on someone else's laptop, and same problem. I have tried changing from IMGBurn to Infrarecorder to Nero and it makes no difference. Meanwhile, the drive continues to read disks perfectly.

Can anyone suggest what I should be checking?

I am running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a Packard Bell X4510FR (Q8200, 3GB, 640GB). The DVD writer is an ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S CdRom Device.

Many thanks,
nmsconsultoria
6 answers Last reply
More about writer stopped recognizing blank dvds
  1. Sounds like you need a new drive. You could try cleaning the laser if you can access it but even if it works this may only prove a temporary solution.
  2. Thanks. Is there any software for checking, as the laser is unreachable to me?

The PC might still be under guarantee so I couldn't cope if they took it away from me for heaven know how many weeks for repair.
  3. If the drive has a drawer you can use one of those CD cleaning discs. I wouldn't recommend that for slot-type drives in case it never re-emerges.

If it's a desktop computer, it is possible to extract the drive and strip it down to where you can reach the laser -- depends on how you feel about small screwdrivers.

I think you're beyond the point where a test program will prove anything you don't already know.
  4. Great, I'll try that and report back (just for interest if nothing else).

Thank you for your help.
  5. fihart, wow, that seems to have done the trick. I used an old CD lens cleaner and have just managed to burn a DVD. Thanks a million!

Just one more thing, you said it might only help temporarily, why is that?
  6. May only help temporarily because if laser was perfect a bit of dust probably wouldn't affect it. They all die in time.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Writers Storage