DVD writer has stopped recognizing blank dvds

nmsconsultoria

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Hello,

My DVD writer has stopped recognizing blank dvds halfway through a stack of them. Burning programs claim the dvds already have some data on them. I tried another batch of the same SONY DVD+R x16 brand (even bought them in another country), which worked fine on someone else's laptop, and same problem. I have tried changing from IMGBurn to Infrarecorder to Nero and it makes no difference. Meanwhile, the drive continues to read disks perfectly.

Can anyone suggest what I should be checking?

I am running Vista Ultimate 32-bit on a Packard Bell X4510FR (Q8200, 3GB, 640GB). The DVD writer is an ATAPI DVD A DH16A6S CdRom Device.

Many thanks,
nmsconsultoria

G

Sounds like you need a new drive. You could try cleaning the laser if you can access it but even if it works this may only prove a temporary solution.

nmsconsultoria

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Thanks. Is there any software for checking, as the laser is unreachable to me?

The PC might still be under guarantee so I couldn't cope if they took it away from me for heaven know how many weeks for repair.

G

If the drive has a drawer you can use one of those CD cleaning discs. I wouldn't recommend that for slot-type drives in case it never re-emerges.

If it's a desktop computer, it is possible to extract the drive and strip it down to where you can reach the laser -- depends on how you feel about small screwdrivers.

I think you're beyond the point where a test program will prove anything you don't already know.

nmsconsultoria

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
fihart, wow, that seems to have done the trick. I used an old CD lens cleaner and have just managed to burn a DVD. Thanks a million!

Just one more thing, you said it might only help temporarily, why is that?

G

May only help temporarily because if laser was perfect a bit of dust probably wouldn't affect it. They all die in time.