Sign in with
Your question

PC VIDEO CARD WITH HDMI OUTPUT not dvi HDMI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 23, 2008 3:55:41 PM

Hello all I was wondering if anyone out there knows what the cheapest high end HDMI output video card out there. i keep getting dumb ass responses from people that cant tell the simple difference between an HDMI and a DVI out put on a card. HEEELP!!!
September 23, 2008 4:03:08 PM

The last few generations of ati cards have a DVI output that you can use an adapter on and use HDMI (with audio). There is a palit ati card that has the hdmi built in though.
Related resources
September 23, 2008 4:06:39 PM

Cheapest high end? That is an oxymoron.
I have a $29 Asus 3450 card in my HTPC with HDMI out. It works great.
September 23, 2008 4:08:52 PM

Oh yeah, towards the high end, I have a BFG 9800 GX2 that has HDMI out, even came with the HDMI cable.
September 23, 2008 4:47:25 PM

Lol call them Dumb asses but you are the n00b DVI is HDMI. Its the same output different plug, hence the responses and the adapter. In fact you can get a cable with DVI at one end and HDMI at the other because the signal (output if you will) is the same.
September 23, 2008 4:57:54 PM

Yeah such a n00b that I couldnt tell the difference between Dvi-I and D right Go F yourself. If you paid attention to the question I needed an output of full HDMI Capabilities. DVI outputs only video no audio . Now whos the n00b?
September 23, 2008 5:13:20 PM

Yeah, my 4850 only has "DVI" outputs on the back of the card, but it came with an HDMI adaptor, that, (get ready for a shock) outputs the audio as well. The 3800 series might do it as well, but seeing as you're being a prick, this is as much response as you're getting out of me.
September 23, 2008 5:34:35 PM

andrewcc said:
Yeah, my 4850 only has "DVI" outputs on the back of the card, but it came with an HDMI adaptor, that, (get ready for a shock) outputs the audio as well. The 3800 series might do it as well, but seeing as you're being a prick, this is as much response as you're getting out of me.

Eh! that is new, I didnt know that some videocard could have audio output through HDMI.
September 23, 2008 5:41:14 PM

Wow I didnt know wanting to get the proper information is being a prick. Next time do your homework before you act like a know it all. I told everyone out there I was unsure, therefore suggestions were welcomed, not rude comments picking fights. Good to see there are people out there with good things to do with their time.

IE:

Eh! that is new, I didnt know that some videocard could have audio output through HDMI.
September 23, 2008 5:59:08 PM

all of you are nubs! XD

ati has been equipping audio with their dvi slots since the hd2k series

the dvi-hdmi adapter enables the audio.. as you can see, the dvi on the back of the ati card is slightly different from a regular dvi port

realtek has a audio chip on the ati card itself... i know on xp, you have to install a couple of things before it actually starts to work, but on vista i think it should be plug and play

google if you have any problems... o and just a note, i have a 2900pro flashed to an xt, and it DOES have problems projecting audio only because i have an xp x64 os, theres no driver solution for it =[

which is why ill be making the move to vista faster than i would before
September 23, 2008 6:02:40 PM

Sock, that part I don't actually know the answer to, I just know that it works. I tried reading up on it once, and I just got lost in the technobabble.

And Klass, wanting proper information is fine, but telling people to "F" themselves when they try to help out counts as being a prick in my book. Yeah, ok, you tossed 'noob" at each other and that's fun and exciting, but there's no need to escalate so vehemently. Admittedly it wasn't the best discription but it was still unwarrented.
September 23, 2008 6:16:26 PM

The 3650 supports DVI -> HDMI with audio. I believe the rest of the 3 series does as well, but don't know 100% for sure off hand. The 48XX do support DVI -> HDMI (with audio). I believe some of the HD 2XXX series supported it as well but am not sure. I don't know about Nvidia cards. Do research, then make accusations.

Unsure?? Where was that. You sounded pretty sure to me. Now you are wrong. Go forth and google. Try reading some reviews and being less of an ... well this is a family forum so I won't say what I wanted to.

Also it helps if you actually ask the question based off of your problem, for example "I need to find a high end gaming card that I can connect to my HDTV, I only want to run one cable though and am looking for a card that supports HDMI out with both video and audio"
September 23, 2008 6:39:59 PM

Ok I'll stop being an A**, just frustrated with getting bad information.

I'll try to be more specific...I have a 37" Emerson (Yeah I Know) lcd hdtv. It has the capability of playing 1080i format and thats the res I need to get working, currently runnning out of a 9400gt card the largest resolution I get is 1266x720, which cuts off some of my desktop. Now i am guessing but shouldnt I upgrade my card in order to get this full resolution IE the HDMI to HDMI solution or can I change the res with this setup utlizing the DVI to HDMI method????
September 24, 2008 12:29:34 AM

1080i isn't the same as 720p. 1080i=540 lines drawn with gaps between them, then the other 540 lines are drawn between those gaps. the i in 1080 stands for interlaced. 720p = 720 lines of drawn at the same time.
September 24, 2008 2:13:58 AM

My mistake on the 720p and 1080i. However, I still believe it could be 2 possible reasons. Your LCD TV or the output you used could be the sources of your problem.

your LCD TV is 1080i and not 1080p. not all 1080i LCD TVs can output resolutions of 1920x1080. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i
"Of note, a very popular panel size used in mid-range HDTVs is 1366 x 768 and are often advertised as 1080i "compatible" or "HD ready" - however these TVs, while accepting a 1080i signal will scale it down to the panel size of 1366x768 as they are physically incapable of displaying 1920x1080 resolutions."

output on S-Video? DVI? VGA? I know for sure you haven't used HDMI yet. Results may vary with different outputs.

1080i = 1920x1080 interlaced scan, could be downconverted to 1,366x768, 1,280x720, or 1,024x768 depending on your output and limitation of your LCD TV.
1080p = 1920x1080 progressive scan, could be downconverted to lower resolutions depending on your output.

Buying a new videocard will not necessarily increase your resolution.
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2008 5:43:58 PM

klass1 said:
If you paid attention to the question I needed an output of full HDMI Capabilities. DVI outputs only video no audio . Now whos the n00b?

That would still be you, and coming in with pre-conceptions while asking for help doesn't work well.

There isn't a physical limitation to the GF9400GT displaying 1080i, it even has a dual link TMDS DVI out which would support higher than 1080P/60 as long as the drivers support it.
However in you're case you're wanting to send an interlaced non-native output to a TV that is progressive. What the 9400 is doing is likely defaulting to the information that the TV is providing for resolution. It's easiest to tweak the resolution without any other monitor plugged in. Many people are unable to see the option for 1366x768 until it's their primary monitor (this has been written off as a DRM issue for primary HDCP compliant monitors). Otherwise you need to manually add the resolution by either a regedit hack or a tool like PowerStrip.
If it doesn't show all the desktop then you need to tweak the overscan properties, or manually adjust the settings in the drivers tweaking window size. However be sure your desktop is set to the proper resolution, for the Emerson 37" that's 1366 x 768. Set your desktop to that, set your TV to PC mode if there is one, and it should display correctly.

As for Audio over DVI-> nVidia does it as well (edit: on some models), but it requires an SPDIF cable or toslink input to then combine and send out audio over DVI (same with their HDMI cards too though), since it doesn't have a built in audio chip the audio must come from the audio card through it's outputs, either inside the case with those cables like the old CD ones, or else a separate external cable.

PS Astro, 1080i is still 1920x1080, just refreshing 1920x540 at a time, this helps for transmission, but the buffer is still 1920x1080, and the end result is still 1920x1080x30hz, though it doesn't matter as even a single TMDS DVI-out would handle standard 1080P/24/30 no problem, the only issue arrises from some setups and 1920x1080+ at full 60hz.
!