Sign in with
Your question

Test Equipment for Components Reseller?

Last response: in Components
November 17, 2008 2:47:24 PM

Hi Folks,
Was hoping some computer techs out there can point me in the right direction...

I would like to know what equipment people use to test individual components that are not installed in a computer? For example I have researched and discovered the Ramcheck unit by Innoventions for testing many different types of computer memory without it needing to be installed in a computer.

But what about other components? For example motherboards?

I am a small reseller and often have opportunity to purchase used components, but unless I was able to thoroughly test and make sure they are properly working, I would not feel I could resell them to an end user.

I am a one person business so even the Ramcheck unit is pretty pricey for me, although I do see used ones occasionally on Ebay.

Anyway, just wondering if someone with more knowledge might be able to tell me how computer recyclers and others test components? Do they test them in the computers before they dismantle them?

Is there any affordable way to test memory, motherboards, etc on a small scale?
TIA!!!
V
November 17, 2008 8:10:34 PM

I assume being a reseller you probably have random parts laying around?

Why not build a few machines up, to a point that you know they are solid... then when you get these other parts replace them in a known working machine and do a few checks.

Depending on how much you have and how old the parts are you should only need 2 or 3 "test" rigs.
!