Getting new MB, socket 775 or 1366? Please help!

FScuderiaX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Hey everyone I'm new here seems like an awesome website with lots of great info. I am starting a new build, hoping to get a new motherboard from santa :D so I dont have much time. My main concern is gaming performance and upgradeability. I plan to be using nVidia SLI and possibly even Tri-SLI if the funds are right. First and main important the MB.

Considering:

EVGA 790i SLI FTW socket 775 (C2Q)

or

EVGA X58 SLI socket 1366 (i7)

I am aware how 775 has been out for some time so I'm a little hesitant about it. I'm also worried about compatibiliy/future upgrades with 1366. Is there going to be more options than just an i7 because I read about the future 1160 sockets and mainstream i5. I already searched around a bit but can't seem to get a valid answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, the obvious thing is you need to decide what processor you're going to purchase first.

Socket 1366 only works with the i7 processors so far.

Socket 775 works with the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quads.

Personally have not read about the 1160/i5 stuff yet.

You can get a pretty decent Socket 775 system for quite a bit less money than a 1366/i7 build. All depends on your cash flow, and whether you've gotta have the latest, greatest, fastest thing right now. :)

EDIT: Oh by the way. From the benchmarks I've seen so far, TRI-SLI is a waste of money. Have seen some benchmarks/reviews that suggest that Tri-SLI actually DECREASES performance when compared to standard SLI. So far anyhow. This could obviously change in the future.

FScuderiaX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Cool thanks for the quick reply! What I'm trying to determine first is pretty much which socket type will live longer. I guess everyones fear in the computer world is how quickly everything gets outdated, which is why I want ot make the right decision now. If 775 is pretty much said and done, maybe I should go with the X58. Just unsure of how much of a future it will have being theres already talk about yet another socket 1160. I'd hate to be stuck with a $300+ MB with 1 CPU option. Feel me?

Definitely. Socket 775 is "mainstream" right now. That's pretty much what everyone has, or is getting. The newest, fastest thing out is the i7/1366 setup. Those i7 processors were just released. Theoretically, that would be your longest lasting option, since it just came out. I have not read about the 1160/i5 stuff like I said before, but if that's mean to be a cheaper version of the i7's, it may be what's intended to replace the older socket 775.

If you can afford the steeper costs of an i7 chip (920 seems like best deal for performance) and the 1366 board (X58 which can do SLI or Crossfire) plus some DDR3 RAM, you'd be set for quite a while I'd imagine.

Don't worry so much about the future, or you'll spend all your time on the sidelines watching. If your budget allows go corei7. x58 chipsets support more pci-e lanes. Don't forget that you can stick any pci-e card into a larger slot. i.e. a pci-e x4 card will work in a pci-e x16 slot. so even if you don't plan on using triple GPU you'll have the best possible expansion route.

Personally I would go core 2. The 500 dollars you save will pay for the corei7 upgarde in a year or two when ddr3 prices have gone down, and the core i7 has seen a die shrink.

FScuderiaX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
OK looks like Im leaning towards the X58, considering out of my pocket I'll only need to buy CPU (probably i920 for start), DDR3 hopefully 3 channel, and video card (thinking about GTX260 Core 216, added SLI sometime soon). The remainming hardware from my current PC will be swapped over (see profile for specs).

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

You better redo your math. i7 is not $500 more then core 2.

Ya waste $900 now on core 2, and then spend anopther $1000 next year on i7. Your not the brightest lightbulb are you.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Personally I would go core 2. The 500 dollars you save will pay for the corei7 upgarde in a year or two when ddr3 prices have gone down, and the core i7 has seen a die shrink.

I agree, build a 775 system and you'll save $500.

We already know your not bright.

You both better go to newegg and see how cheap you can actually make an i7 rig for.

$1100 will get you a real nice i7.

$1100 now or $900 for core 2 and $1100 in 6 months is just plain dumb.

Idiots. Everyone used to preach future proof, now its omg get the cheaper and upgrade later.

RETARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

FScuderiaX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Easy the hostility! Anyways Im thinking about an i7 920 (only about $300) and maybe later down the road if its not fast enough upgrade. But I think that may be more than sufficent.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Core i7 processors (socket 1366 X58) allow sli and crossfire to scale better. I would go with this especially since you expressed an interest in tri-sli.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-multigpu-sli-crossfire-game-performance-review/

Zenthar

Distinguished
IMO, either go for "cheap" P45 board or an X58, I think a "high-end" Socket 775 board is now a lose-lose situation.

The 790i are 250$+ and still require DDR3 (+ most dual-channel kits are incompatible with i7 ...). The CPUs have similar prices clock for clock (Q9450 vs 920, Q9650 vs 940). So in the end, you get a system that costs you about as much, but with a socket that will gradually be phased-out. Moreover, the 790i is an NVidia chipset wich locks you to SLI (no XFire) and it is an Nvida chipset :p.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Speaking of who's not bright. I dont think its news to us that a i7 920 is faster than a dual core e8400, but thanks for letting us know this news. LOOOOOL.
Bye the way most of us stopped using the word "RETARD" in middle school. Your words speak volumes of your maturity level kid.
Just because mommy bought you a i7 system, dont try to convince every one else its the way to go.

To the OP, you can build a very fast and highly overclockable Q9550 system for about half the cost of a i7 920. (not $200 less)
If you want cutting edge, buy the i7 ($300), the $300 mobo, the $200 ram and your good to go. OR you could get a p45 for about $100, 4gb of DDR2-800 for about $20 (or use the ram you have) and a Q9550 for $300 and be just as fast. ( wait a bit, these will be $200 in 2 months.)

Q9550 $320 i7 $299
P45 $130 x58 $225
4G DDR2 $32 3G DDR3 $95

$482 $619

Do the math retard! The difference is $137, not even close two being 1/2 less then i7 like you claim.

Lets see for $137 You get almost twice the performance. Its a no brainer. Just because your mommy wont buy you one, you dont need to be a jealous hater and tell others not to buy it.

I feel sorry for you, you want it so bad that you have to hate on those of us that have it.

You agree the i7 is way faster then the e8400, quess what the q9550 runs the same clock for clock as the e8400. Most apps arent multi threaded for more then 2 threads yet you keep telling people to buy the q9550 for future proofing. If your such a budget noob, you should be preaching dual cores or q6600.

Lets not forget on the x58 platform you can use dual Nvidia or Ati, cards. There are a ton of people that get the next best GPU everytime one is released. Now they wont have to buy a new mobo to have the best GPU.

Bottom line if you cant afford $137 more for a waaaaaay better build, you better buy a Dell.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The Q9550 actually runs a bit slower than the E8400, but not by much and OC should be trivial.

For gaming, most people would go for 6GB instead of 3GB (which is more like 200$ for something of equal quality).

For the X58 boars, if you want something decent, I think prices are more around 275-300$.

Still far from 500$, but it's tough to make it "simple math" because of the 3GB vs 4GB vs 6GB RAM and the different qualities of both RAM and MB.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
6G of DDR3 can be had for $159.

We can argue all day what a better mobo or better ram is.

I can easily pick out a better mobo and ram for the socket 775 build 2.

It comes down to what you want and how much you got.

And I think its fair to say atleast 1/2 of people run 32 bit windows.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
If you are dead set on a SLI configuration, I would go with the i7 chipset. Motherboard wise you are much better off going with a X58 board than one of Nvidia's boards (and a better CPU), and as roadrunner pointed out there is not a huge price difference.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
building new, go i7.

upgrading cpu, go with Core 2.

the op is starting new. It makes sense to go i7 for $200 more.

For me, i have a core 2 e7200. I would be best off upgrading to a core 2 quad and waiting until either the prices come down or i am forced to upgrade.

It all depends on the needs of the person and that person's financial situation.

I think you made the right choice.

FScuderiaX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
So i was debating between the Asus P6T or EVGA X58. Found reviews where P6T is slightly ahead of the pack right now, but I've had bad experiences with ASUS products and am trying to prevent purchasing anything form them. I like the Tri-SLI support for EVGA, where P6T only supports SLI. Also can't beat EVGA's lifetime warranty, and supporting 1,2, or 3 channel DDR3 where P6T only supports triple channel. I ended up choosing to EVGA X58, think I made a good choice?

I think it's a decent choice, though I will say, both boards support single and dual channel in addition to tri. The EVGA lifetime warranty is nice, and I have had nothing but good experiences with their support.

FScuderiaX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I read in one of the reviews for the P6T that said if you dont have a chip in all 3 channels it won't post. Either way, I wont be finding out. I did however like the 16 phase power, SAS ports, and Expressgate. Sounds kinda hard to pass up....but I'll just have to pretend it doesnt exist! I hope this X58 makes me happy.

damnu

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008

now where can you find a decent x58 for 225??

FScuderiaX

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
OK maybe not 225, actually its 219. MSI Platimum from the egg is one of the lower end boards and theres a couple more.

G

Do you guys like read one comp. mag and then decide you know everything? Because frankly, this is some hilarious *** to read.. lol.
Go with the i7 cause then atleast it'll be worth something if you do decide to upgrade later (i.e. someone will want your i7 system and you should get a decent price) cause say you go a core quad or amd x3 - x4, whatever, it'll be obsolete by the time you really want/need to up your specs and you'll have a lemon sitting in your room. i7's outperform anything close to it in price in anything i've seen so far and the motherboards that support them (my fave is the ASUS rampage II) are some of the best too.. Plus, the i7 systems seem to have more room for improvement as compared to slightly older systems and the 920 delivers good bang for buck in most everyones opinion. Basically, my advice is spend big on both your cpu and mobo and the rest should fall sweetly in to place, particularly with some nice DDR3.
All that said, its a personal preference and I have seen beautifully worked Phenom II x4 955 system with a negligable difference to the human eye as an 920i7 system and cost two thirds the price.