Processor - How Much Is Too Less? Ultimate!

kuber

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Hey Guys,

Hav posted b4 and had super thoughts and replies, thanx a ton for that, but to settle it once and for all here it goes.

Have been struggling between the Q9300 & E8500 for a week know. Here's the deal.

I want a fast PC, better word "QUICK".
I don't multi task a lot but yeah at times do.
Use word, web, music and the usual.
At times edit home movies and transfer media files, but now that often.

Now now now... after much thought i just have a fews confused things, which if helped can go ahead with the processor.

1. Is the Q9300 a no no for gaming, i'm not an intense gamer (at least till now) fifa 09, call of duty and crysis (now that i'm getting a good machine). I mean to say, will the difference be that massive between the E8500 and the Q9300 in gaming, which as we all know the E8500 kicks ass. Like will the Q9300 support all heavy games and what exactly will be the drawback, slow jerky games or what exactly, will the game play be good?

2. Overall performance wise, does the Q9300 makes more sense in terms of performance?

3. Between the two, the Q9300 & E8500, if all aspects were weighed, does the quad make
more sense.

I may overclock but the thing is i need a super machine. NOT planning to upgrade for a couple of years. But yes if need be, may upgrade in a year or two year, depending on the situation.

Please help me out. Thanks a lot :).

G

Uh if you want a super machine that will last you...

Get a Core i7 920 at about 300$ bucks 6 GB of ddr3 ram and a x58 mobo... ten get a good gpu... you cannot have a cheap system that is going to last you well for any extended period of time... fact

Your post has too many contridictions. You say you don't multitask, but do. You say you don't game, but you now do. You edit movies, but you don't.

If I was buying a machine right now I would want it to be a quad-core. There's a lot of stuff that I do that would benefit, *some* current games and hopefully most future games, video editing, multitasking (my PC is used as a media server as well as for gaming).

I'm with TC on this one. Lots of contradictions in this post. However, quad core is the direction things are going. And if you do much video editing, you'll see performance gains from a Quad. And a Quad core isn't going to be detrimental to gaming with CoD4 or Crysis. The e8500 might outperform in those titles temporarily, but the future will support Quad cores more and more. So if you truly don't want to upgrade for two years, I'd get the best Quad you can afford.

G

I recommend the core i7 920... its a little over 300 on newegg and the mobos can be had for around 250... yeah thats more than your standard e8500 setup... but it will also last you considerably longer

kuber

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
i agree... too many contradictions. maybe it's my confusion which made me state that. k.

make it simpler.

1. will not be doing heavy multitasking - web,word, music and may be one more application together max.

2. games, yeah do play fifa 09 and am interested in the call of duty and some more shooting games.

Now overall which stands better, lets forget the future story, you guys are absolutely right, so Q9300 or E8500???

Thanks guys.

G

What resolution? if you plan on playing at 1680 by 1050 or above the q9300 will serve you better but at anything lower the e8500 will serve you better...

also for a gpu at 1680 or above I recommend the 4870 for anything less i recommend the 4850...