Q6600 w/ crazy temps

Rusty867

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hi all,
I recently finished my new build and decided on the q6600. I got a crappy G0 with a VID of 1.325. Stock temps are normal though (29c idle with speedstep, 50c underload). I have decent 1066 ram and a Freezer 7 pro. My Mobo is a Asus p5q pro. My question is when I try to OC the quad from 2.4 to 3.0 (which apparently shouldn't be hard to do), I run into temp problems. I use 9x333 and vcore of 1.3. Everything's fine on boot up: it POSTs and I got to windows. When I Prime95 with my overclock though, my temps go from 38c idle with speedstep to 65c on load(not too bad), but after an hour or two they top at 79c and I turn it off because they climbed so much. I tried for 3.2 (8x400) first and I hit bad temps much faster. I think I had adequate cooling. I have two high powered scythe 120mm fans (one intake, one outtake) and two 80mm fans (one intake, one outtake). I even underclocked my ram to 667 to get 1:1, so I don't thing it could be heat caused from running asynch. The only other thing I can think of would be that I need a better HSF. However, arn't some people getting 3.0 (9x333) on stock HSF even with a **** VID? I'll provide more info if needed, but I'm stumped.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
First, make sure the heatsink is secured tight. Those pushpins can be a bitch. Next, you can try lapping the ACF7P. And use good thermal paste like arctic ceramic. If temps are still high, you can try lapping the cpu heatsink. But that will void the warranty. Otherwise, buy a better heatsink.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
If the temperatures take an hour to peak, the ventilation problem is with the case or the closet/room, not with the CPU HSF. Problems with the HSF take seconds to minutes (for a large HSF) to manifest.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

I have the same vid as yours, but i am running at 3.3 , vcore of 1.42. Mine is stable, and temp is less than 70 under hours of prime test. Obviously, you have less vcore than mine, and you are having issues. So, I would say you have cooling problems, and i would fix that issue first.

Rusty867

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
This is my case. These are my fans. The 2 80mm fans are nothing special. My room stays at about 70~73f. Isn't that adequate case cooling for a q6600 to overclock? If so, I think I'll try lapping, then if that doesn't work, it's time to move up.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
wr nailed it. If it takes that long to heat up the problem is with ventilation inside the case, or the hot air having no where to go once it leaves the case. Try getting some new case fans to move more air out of the case, and making sure the case is in an open area where the hot air can dissipate.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
If your going to move up goto this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
Better than the one you picked and cheaper.

I had some success with lapping my AF7P but as wr suggests i dont think it will be a heatsink issue if after an hour or so it gets to hot. Sounds like the case is slowly heating up or the fans are spinning down for some reason. Id disable all fan throttling and make them all run full tilt in the BIOS this should test that out. Make sure you have your cables routed nicely this will help with airflow also.

Rusty867

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Any idea's on where to mount some extra fans? I would have gone with a better case with more fan slots, but the girlfriend wanted a "simple" looking computer. I'm opposed to case modding for outflow/inflow, but would positioning fans internally help at all? i.e. a fan on the other side of the ACF7? Also, would proportioning more intake or more outtake be beneficial at all? Thanks to everyone that's helped so far.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
A good way to test whether airflow is indeed the problem is to run the computer with the side of the case off. See what temperatures you are getting when running prime95 small ffts for a few hours without the side panel, and the cpu fan on at 100%.

Rusty867

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I'll check if Qfan is off or not, vcore is consistant, and taking the side pannel off tonight. Thanks for the tips, I'll post when I see what's up.

Vcore should NEVER pass 1.325(should even be lower on most boards, it will be ~1.12 or so at idle). If it does pass 1.325 then your board is giving extra voltage to try to make sure overclocking is successful. If that is the case manually set it to 1.325 and if its stable drop it bit by bit to see how low it goes stable.