Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

My computer/graphics card dont perform as i should!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • FPS
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
September 23, 2008 7:33:13 PM

I do not know where the problem lies, but I can generally poor results with my system in the game. In 3DMARK 06f i get this:

Is not it a bit low compared with my system?

And in Vantage

also very low.

In Crysis ™, I get around 15-25 FPS, everything on Very High 1440 900, the same thing in Warhead, i run DX10. When I look towards areas with a lot of people my fps sinks even lower. In Company Of Heroes, my FPS goes down when I look around the map in 3Dmode. If I for example watching from one side to the other in Horizontal angle, the fps sinks to 5 FPS. I understand absolut nothing, what can be the problem with the computer? Has 8.9 drivers on my HD, everything is unclocked. For that I am told and what you see on my results, you can see what is the problem? Humbly ask for help from any computer experts out there!

If I do not find a solution, I send back video card . For what I see there is no other solution.

MVH

EDIT: Played Crysis ™ now, ran track Relics, which in the beginning when to enter the small orchard to turn off the jammer. So I look there, may be around 16 FPS when I look, then run in 1440 900, is testing to draw down to 800 600, and guess what, my fps is exactly the same! Ran on Very High no AA! Help! = /

More about : computer graphics card dont perform

September 23, 2008 7:37:49 PM

here's my specs: AMD Athlon X2 6400+ (3.2 GHz), 4 GB Corsair 6400 RAM, Powercolor HD 4870, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4, AXP 630 Watt PSU, Samsung Spinpoint 750 GB 7200RPM 32MB
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 8:02:18 PM

The CoH numbers concern me far more than the Crysis ones...Could be a really bad PSU, bad driver install, or a bad card.

It kinda looks like your CPU limited, but 3.2 should be plenty...
Related resources
September 23, 2008 8:27:27 PM

"...hen run in 1440 900, is testing to draw down to 800 600, and guess what, my fps is exactly the same!" LOL it is the processor sell that crap get a quad core.
September 23, 2008 8:43:16 PM

Iffy PSU is possible. But unlikely. Your score is onpar where it should be.

Well you got a AMD which is the heart of the problem, and you are playing on settings on a game that is beyond your systems capability.

Try some high, medium mix. Your system can't run very high, sorry!

If you send the card back you loose your shipping you paid, and more shipping to send it back, and 15% restocking fee.
September 23, 2008 8:50:27 PM

3dmark scores are bogus. i had an 8800gt 256mb that got better scores than my 4850. 4850 improved fps by a decent amount when upgraded and thats all I cared about.

what cpu usage are you at when you run these games? What is all of the overclocking that you're doing?

check psu.

Updated drivers?

Also check the read i/o and write i/o of your main hd. What is using your hd the most? do you have any behind scene programs working.

ive never played CoH so I don't know how cpu bound it is, but your fsp in crysis seem low and 3.2 dual should be enough for it.

Check the usage of everything while you run games and you'll find your weak link.
a c 109 U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 9:32:31 PM

Well, with Crysis the problem is you're running it on Very High. Take a look at the charts here, Crysis is hard on even the top end video cards. Even if you were to crossfire your 4850 you're not going to get high fps. What settings are you using on COH?
September 23, 2008 9:35:42 PM

i have an HD 4870, not an 4850, i have seen people on youtube, that have the same card as me, and they can play at vety high 1680 1050 in 25-35 FPS! but for me its unplayable, everything on max in CoH AA 8. And my 3dmark scores suck, ive compared them too people with same system as me on the ORB, they got 13400, thats a bit more, and the CPU score is the same! I think my gfx card is ****!
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2008 10:22:26 PM

I bet they OC their cards.
September 23, 2008 10:40:20 PM

Jeboor said:
i have an HD 4870, not an 4850, i have seen people on youtube, that have the same card as me, and they can play at vety high 1680 1050 in 25-35 FPS! but for me its unplayable, everything on max in CoH AA 8. And my 3dmark scores suck, ive compared them too people with same system as me on the ORB, they got 13400, thats a bit more, and the CPU score is the same! I think my gfx card is ****!

They also have a Intel CPU overclocked really high and or a quad core cpu. And like was mentioned, they probably overclocked there card.

My buddy had a 4870 with a e8400 @ 4.5 and he still had dips in FPS and some artifacts maxxed out. He has two 4870s now and he is finally happy.

13000ish 3dmark is e8400/e8500 range, not AMD territory at all.

I believe the other game you whined about is also CPU dependent.

Your card is fine you just dont have the right CPU to go with it. Your CPU is a bottleneck.
September 23, 2008 10:42:48 PM

well i got an AMD 6000+ with a dual HD3850 256mb setup and i see 13,500 (14,000 if i overclock) on 3dmark06.

need less to say, your setup is better than mine so something is wrong....
September 23, 2008 10:45:38 PM

A 6400 X2 is not a bottleneck. Hes using a single 4870, not an X2 or anything like that.
September 23, 2008 10:46:55 PM

Its also well known around the net that 3Dmark 06 doesn't perform well with the 48xx series cards.

Godmode, you are stupid.
September 23, 2008 10:48:02 PM

It is a bottleneck in terms of what hes comparing to. Its a good proc just not as good as intels offerings.
September 23, 2008 10:52:42 PM

Sorry man, I have similar specs to you right now, my processor is overclocked to 3.2Ghz and my vcard is the factory OCed Radeon 4850. Our 3DMark scores are exactly the same. This means consistent 30FPS Crysis performance on very high settings ain't going to be possible.
September 23, 2008 10:52:52 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Its also well known around the net that 3Dmark 06 doesn't perform well with the 48xx series cards.

Godmode, you are stupid.

oh was that really necessary?
September 23, 2008 10:54:04 PM

I though that the CPU didnt do much on high res?
September 23, 2008 11:09:13 PM

does this prove that my card is damaged?

The same system exactly, and you see thta his CPU and mine are equal, though he clocked it a little bit!
September 23, 2008 11:11:21 PM

That 300mhz ~ OC might have just been enough apparently. Drivers could also play an issue, I guess.
September 23, 2008 11:38:55 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
@ Godmde: Yes it was.

well i had no idea the 48XX series was suffering from low 3dmarks scores. you could have just pointed that out to me and leave at that but instead you chose to be a jerk and call me stupid. i guess i should expect every forum to have ppl like you. i'm not going to stupp to your level.

to the OP...test it out the overclock. maybe 300mhz does make a difference.

also...roadrunner had a good point to check out your background processes. one of them might be hugging/spiking your CPU.

edit: i forgot to mention that the other guy might have clocked his graphics card too...3Dmark doesn't show that.
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2008 12:14:09 AM

OCing your card won't improve your gameplay more than 6FPS avg, that's a proven fact among history. And your processor is actually bottlenecking your card in Crysis. See this:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770

It's a 4870X2, but would give you a better picture of what to expect from the 4870 at given resolutions on your A64.

Also, i think you should check your processes running in the background.

Esop!

EDIT: Error corrected XD
September 24, 2008 12:25:43 AM

Its definetly some sort of software issue, he needs to check whats going on in the background, maybe use driver cleaner, and get a fresh install of the driver. Clean up the pc overall?
September 24, 2008 12:48:34 AM

Your second score is lower then the first, so something is running in background.

Actually it proves theres nothing wrong with your card.

The overclock on the processor and most likely an OC GPU will do 1554 points more easy.

If anything OC your stuff, or buy a new Intel setup, if you want more performance.

If you got the card from a place that charges a 15% restock fee you will be out about $62 total. That would buy you a baseline Intel mobo.

You got to take screenshots with a grain of salt. Most arent stable or cool systems, there are alot of them turned up just to take a screenshot and brag.

I've built many Intel and AMD systems and you are right where you should be on your system.

September 24, 2008 3:56:48 PM

i OC my cpu to 3.4 and my GFX card to 790/1100, i got 12000 now! so ... thats bad! Are u guys sure that my gfx card aint damaged? Ive tried driver cleaner, and i even tried to reinstall windows, but no perfromance gain, so i think old drivers aint causing the problem! But it could be my AMD x2, but the kid with same cpu and same gfx card got 13200 i got 11700! And our cpu results are similar but in SM 2.0 it differs with 600 and in SM 3.0 its 1100! So, it have to be my gfx card! If i had the same as him and complained about performance i would know that it is the cpu, but in this case, it isnt!
a b U Graphics card
September 24, 2008 5:18:32 PM

Its not the CPU. My old Pentium D and 8600 GT could take CoH with everything on. I said it LOOKS like he was CPU limited, but that isn't the problem.
September 24, 2008 7:26:35 PM

If your card was bad you wouldn't even be 8000.

His CPU is still faster then yours and it depends on the bandwidth of each system. Different multipliers will change the bandwidth some.

Also it could be he is still more oc then you and maybe has tighter ram timings, giving him better performance.

Its obvious he can tune a system and you cant.

You can find rigs all day long just like yours with lower scores so what is your problem.

Go ahead and send back the card, enjoy paying return shipping and restocking fee, plus shipping for another new onw only to get the same result.
September 24, 2008 9:49:08 PM

i cant believe someone would return a card because their rig doesnt score well on 3dmark...all that matters is that your games play well...

btw, the reason you're getting a low score is because of your cpu...everyone knows that athlon x2's dont score as high as core2's....but like I said, if your rig plays everything well, why complain? I personally get a little under 11k on 3dmark06 but I dont care because I can play crysis warhead on all high settings on my 24" monitor...so I'm more than happy
September 25, 2008 9:15:23 AM

Do you mean very high, or high? I Play warhead in very high 1440 900 in 20-30 FPS DX10, is that okay? Could drop to 15 in heavy fire fights!???
September 25, 2008 3:03:42 PM

Well here's some news, this guy's system, is exactly like mine! BUT could you explain his 1600 more points, EVEN though my CPU test beat his with about 100 points? PLEASE explain?
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2008 4:51:38 PM

And you're asking US to explain that difference? lol

Come on, be reasonable... We can't see your windows installation and what u're running. Those points are affected by a lot of things in windows, where the services and processes running in the back are the culprints of some performance issues.

Help us there, come on. Also, post your ram timings, bus config, HT config, vcore config and multi config. Those SS don't show what's *really* under the hood of those systems, but neither you're telling us that.

You might lack "old style" tweaking in your rig, wich in that case, a lot of folks here can help you squeeze a little more from your rig.

Esop!
September 25, 2008 4:57:30 PM

Yuka said:
And you're asking US to explain that difference? lol

Come on, be reasonable... We can't see your windows installation and what u're running. Those points are affected by a lot of things in windows, where the services and processes running in the back are the culprints of some performance issues.

Help us there, come on. Also, post your ram timings, bus config, HT config, vcore config and multi config. Those SS don't show what's *really* under the hood of those systems, but neither you're telling us that.

You might lack "old style" tweaking in your rig, wich in that case, a lot of folks here can help you squeeze a little more from your rig.

Esop!

Okay, sure! Youre probably right, i would really like your helpt, squeezing out that little extra performance out of my rig, so, what do i have to do? What do you guys want to know!
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2008 5:02:35 PM

Well, if you built up your rig, you should have the RAM timings some where written. Or, you can go to the BIOS and get all the info i said it's needed to tell you what to move/adjust: RAM timings, BUS config, HT config, VCore config and Multiplier config.

Those 1k points might be hidden somewhere in between the tweaking of the hardware and the tweaking of the software (windows), but by all means, that's not a sure thing.

Esop!
September 25, 2008 5:27:44 PM

Yuka said:
Well, if you built up your rig, you should have the RAM timings some where written. Or, you can go to the BIOS and get all the info i said it's needed to tell you what to move/adjust: RAM timings, BUS config, HT config, VCore config and Multiplier config.

Those 1k points might be hidden somewhere in between the tweaking of the hardware and the tweaking of the software (windows), but by all means, that's not a sure thing.

Esop!

haha, i didnt understand much of what you said man! I built my own rig yes, i have this specs on my RAM:

Product Description Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Performance TwinX matched - memory - 2 GB (2 x 1 GB) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR2
Storage Capacity 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)
Uppgraderingstyp Industry Standard
Technology DDR2 SDRAM
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin
Memory Speed 800 MHz (PC2-6400)
Access Time Timing CL5
Voltage 1.9 V

when i play, my background procceses is shut down! Anything more u need to know?
a b U Graphics card
September 25, 2008 5:51:55 PM

This is the Task Manager and how to access it:

http://techrepublic.com.com/2346-10878_11-62825.html

Take the screenshot showing all your current processes running. Post it here and let's start from there. Getting to know your hardware is a little more complicated... You'll have to go to the OC sub-forum :p 

Esop!
September 25, 2008 10:24:43 PM

Yuka said:
This is the Task Manager and how to access it:

http://techrepublic.com.com/2346-10878_11-62825.html

Take the screenshot showing all your current processes running. Post it here and let's start from there. Getting to know your hardware is a little more complicated... You'll have to go to the OC sub-forum :p 

Esop!

Already know about that, and i shut every proccess down, every single one of them (except explorer)
September 26, 2008 2:23:55 PM

your cpu score does seem a bit low in 3dmark..

my 4870 scores well.. dont know the numbers off hand but yours look ok just the cpu score seems a little low, i havn't had an amd in a few years so i cant compare really.

Are you using the Over drive feature in the 4870 or just the default clocks.. try using the fan fix and knock it up to 790mhz and 1000mhz see if you get any boost.. if you machine is installed correctly, and drivers are all recent and updated the only thing i can see is proc.. my e8500 scores change Alot when overclocked from 3.16 up to 4ghz if your stuck at 3.2 then you might not be able to squeeze anything more out of it. try OC the Cpu if possible. (and you know what your doing)

*edit* sorry i just saw you mention the clock speeds you ran your card at... the card that your comparing your againes (a friend?) can you borrow it for an hour and test with that in your system?... have you editted something about pci voltages or anything wierd in your bios and forgot to undo them.. have you loaded bios defaults)
October 1, 2008 5:37:29 PM

Jeboor said:
Do you mean very high, or high? I Play warhead in very high 1440 900 in 20-30 FPS DX10, is that okay? Could drop to 15 in heavy fire fights!???

I play crysis warhead on all gamer settings (which im assuming is the equivalent to the old crysis "high"). Like I said before, the game runs very smoothly (about 30fps average)
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2008 5:39:46 AM

ahslan said:
I play crysis warhead on all gamer settings (which im assuming is the equivalent to the old crysis "high"). Like I said before, the game runs very smoothly (about 30fps average)

Tip: worked for me :)  Run it in DX9 mode and change everything to Enthusiast.
a c 109 U Graphics card
October 2, 2008 8:24:08 PM

^+1