Sign in with
Your question

General comupter knowledge forum

Last response: in Windows XP
January 28, 2011 2:55:44 PM

Hello,
How does one see the programs that startup when windows loads? They are located in the tray on the bottom right of the desktop.
January 28, 2011 6:38:42 PM

Most will be visible in the tray, but to find them all, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. That will bring up the Windows Task Manager - go the processes tab to find all the running programs and processes (which include those for programs that have "automatic updates").
m
l
January 28, 2011 6:56:33 PM

Want to see it all? Get "SIW" (System Information for Windows) (free) HERE.

Start the program, click the "Everything" tab and you'll see everything that is running in your computer except rootkits. Click the "Logon" tab and you'll see what programs load with Windows and can safely disable them by unchecking them. Re-enable again by checking them again.

m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2011 7:07:55 PM

You can find out everything that start with windows, by going to start-->run-->msconfig-->startup tab.

You can also download ccleaner, and look at the tools menu-->startup. This program is also very good for cleaning your registry, application, and windows files.
www.piriform.com/
m
l
February 8, 2011 2:42:33 AM

treefrog07 said:
Most will be visible in the tray, but to find them all, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc. That will bring up the Windows Task Manager - go the processes tab to find all the running programs and processes (which include those for programs that have "automatic updates").

Thanks for your help. I have one more question. I presently have a program masquerading as a virus. I believe the company trying to sell me software to remove the "virus" has loaded a program that automatically loads the bug at startup. How can I remove that program?

Thanks again for your help! Jeff McCrary
m
l
February 8, 2011 11:45:40 AM

Hey Jeff. Run through the malware guide in my signature. That'll clean it up.
m
l
February 8, 2011 2:57:36 PM

aford10 said:
You can find out everything that start with windows, by going to start-->run-->msconfig-->startup tab.

You can also download ccleaner, and look at the tools menu-->startup. This program is also very good for cleaning your registry, application, and windows files.
www.piriform.com/

aford10's information is dead on, especially if you have some type of malware/ infection most infection do not block ccleaner and lets it startup, there you can remove, disable, and enable programs at starting up.
m
l
!