Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Centurion 5 - Overclocking and Ventilation

Last response: in Overclocking
November 16, 2009 1:22:38 PM

My specs are as follows:

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E4400, OC'd @ 3.00GHz (L2 Stepping) and using stock cooler
Motherboard Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
Memory 2GB DDR2-667 (2x1GB) (Forgot the brand)
Hard Drive 320GB (Forgot the brand/model)
Power Supply came with case
OS Windows XP Professional
Enclosure Coolermaster Centurion 5

My temperatures are:
Idle ~44*C (has gone as low as ~38)
Load ~74*C (using ORHTOS v0.41.110.18, Small FFTs)

I realise that the load temp is at about the danger zone for the CPU.
So I am considering buying a new CPU HSF.

I am thinking of either the Noctua NH-U12P (for about AUS$79) or the Noctua NH-U9B (for about AUS$74) and even the Xigmatec S1284 (for about AUS$79). But I am not sure which would be the best out of the three and if they would even fit in my case.

I have also read of people adding more fans in the system for more ventilation. I would like to do that but I do not know much about it.

I would like some feedback on the matter and other suggestions are much obliged.

Thanks for your time and consideration,
123qwe.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
November 16, 2009 4:34:32 PM

Get your new cooler first. Then look at extra fans.
As long as your case has flow, you should be fine. I loaded my case up with fans however found very little gain for the extra noise.

As long as you have a good intake fan(s) at the bottom front, and a good exhaust fan near the CPU area (usually rear of case, or above it), and side intake, I beleive thats all you need. It's how Intel recommends cases be built and I've found it to be very effective.

What you can do to test if your case has flow problems, is to do an hour long Prime95 run or so, then look at CPU temps. Take the side of the case off, and lay the case on its side, repeat the process, and look at the temps again. Then from those numbers, you can work out weither or not it will be worth the extra noise. (NB: this is not accurate, but if there is a big difference, it shows a flow problem).

Thats my thoughts on it anyway. I'm sure everyone else may have different views and ideas.

With big heatsinks I find they always fit in a normal ATX case (well normal air coolers), the only thing to really watch for size-wise is that you're not going to hit your power supply (assuming its top mounted).

Once you get that new heatsink on there, your temps will drop way down, so do that first.

Edit: on the topic of extra fans, I had a quick look, can't see any standard mounting positions for extra fans, so if you have problems in the future, I'd recommend changing case. I still don't think you'll have a problem though, just need to see how it goes.

Edit 2: Out of your cooler options, the Xigmatech rates highests and its quite thin compared to some plus only one fan, so if you hit the PSU, you could just rotate it. It is a HDT (Heatpipe Direct Touch) so you'd want to get some Arctic Silver 5 paste, and fill in the gaps around the pipes before installing too, lots of guides on the net for HDT cooler installs, just a wee bit different to normal.
November 17, 2009 12:54:25 AM

Thanks SpidersWeb. I'll see what i can do with that Xigmatec, because my friend works at a computer store and I'm pretty sure he get some discount with the fan and installation or whatever.

And with the Prime95 which version do I use? Wiki says 25.9 is stable and there's a new version 25.11.

Also which test for testing the airflow? Small FFTs, In-place large FFTs, Blend, or Custom?

Well for now I'll let you know the results with Small FFTs.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2009 12:58:33 AM

Just get the latest version.
SmallFFT generates the most heat out of all the tests.
Use RealTemp to watch your temps, they will go much higher than normal on a SmallFFT torture test (and do so very quickly).

60's is fine, 70's is getting close, 80's just stop the test straight away.
m
l
November 17, 2009 2:01:37 AM

After using Prime 25.9 Using Core Temp 0.99.5

After one hour of Small FFT ~69*C (peaked at 72*C)
This was with case closed and standing up

I'll try the latest version now and with RealTemp
m
l
November 17, 2009 5:30:51 AM

Prime95 v25.11: Small FFTs Stress Test
RealTemp v3.40
Core Temp v0.99.5

Temps:
@Idle with case standing up
~36*C (RealTemp)
~41*C (Core Temp)

@Load after 1 hour with case standing up
~64*C (RealTemp) peaking at ~68*C
~69*C (Core Temp) ~73peaking at *C

@Idle with case open and on it's side
~34*C (RealTemp)
~39*C (Core Temp)

@Load with case open and on it's side
~64*C (RealTemp) peaking at ~65*C
~69*C (Core Temp) peaking at ~70*C
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
November 17, 2009 1:27:13 PM

I'd agree. It's not your case because you see little diff with the side off. If you had a much hotter CPU/GPU then your case would be indequate, for what you have the case is fine.

A better cooler for the CPU is all you need, you don't need a hugely expensive one.

Look here, use the 85W listing.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=246...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2009 5:16:32 PM

Good to see those results, sounds like you've got your answer :) 
m
l
November 17, 2009 5:28:31 PM

Cool then. I should be getting the Xigmatek around Christmas time.

One more question though: Should I be worried if the GPU is about 63*C? (Measured from RealTemp v3.40)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 17, 2009 5:37:53 PM

Probably not. At idle the GPU fan will spin down to reduce noise, which causes a reasonable idle temperature on the chip.

If it is having trouble you'll start seeing artifacts in games. I wouldn't worry though.
m
l
November 17, 2009 5:42:52 PM

OKAY!! Thanks SpidersWeb and Conundrum for your time and consideration.

123qwe.
m
l
!