Harddrive is reconized but will not let computer reboot when it is connected

computerfuzed

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Hello,
I am running Windows 7,I'm trying to add another WD 250GB hardrive to my system for storage.When the computer is on my computer reconizes the new additional drive and I can use it with no problems.Then when I need to restart my computer for any reason my computer hangs on one of the boot screens. If I hardboot computer off and then disconnect harddrive cable and then restart it boots up normally.Then when I plug cable back in to harddrive it's fine.

I want to be able to leave this harddrive hooked up all the time without having to go thru this process everytime computer needs to reboot.

any suggestions?

Spazm46

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Is the new HDD a PATA or SATA? If it is a PATA then make sure the jumper pins are set appropriately for the two drives on the same communication ribbon. I'm referring to the Master drive and the Slave drive. It could also be a faulty ribbon. Swap it for a known good one. You could also try setting the second drive to CS (Cable Select) with the jumper pins.
If the drives are SATA then once again it could be a bad communication cable. If not then try reloading the drivers for the SATA controller on the motherboard. SATA drives don't have or don't need jumper pins to be set.
I haven't tried Win7 yet but I haven't read anything special about hardware setup problems except for the usually driver issues with new OSs. I think this is definitely a problem at the motherboard level.