Wireless network with vonage - need advice

srbruno

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
Hello,

I hope I explain this correctly, sorry if it needs clarification. Here we go:

Requirements:
Get STRONG wireless signal on top and middle floors.
Keep all three landline headsets in common areas. 1 on top floor, middle floor and basement.

Setup:
I have Cable internet coming into a 3 level home. The cable access is in the top WEST floor of the house in a closet. This is where we've hooked up the modem. The access also has two RJ45 connectors that go to the office on the middle floor, and to the office in the basement.

In order to get the cable modem to connect both offices using the RJ45 ports i used an old Linksys wired router. So now I have Cable Modem>Linksys>Port1(middle floor office) & Port2(basement office)

In the middle floor office I've connected the RJ45 port to my Vonage D-link 4 port wireless router. This is setup on the EAST wall. One connection goes to my PC. My house line is hooked up here with a 3 piece wireless DECT 6.0 headset. The main set is connected to the vonage router because that's the only option. The other phones are on the top floor and the basement.

The basement just has a Mac wired to the RJ45 port. There is NO desire for wireless in the basement at this time.

I really hope that makes sense, I can see it so I hope I'm not leaving anything out. PLEASE let me know if I have left holes in my describing of things.

Issues:
The Vonage router wireless signal is not strong enough to penetrate to the top floor Master bedroom. Possibly because of the distance from east wall to west wall and materials in between. I cannot seem to find a Vonage 802.11n wireless router, which I think would solve my issue.

Can I do this:
Replace my Linksys wired router with a wireless router for the top floor? Will one wireless router going into another wireless router cause problems? I would probably have to turn off DHCP on the Vonage router and give it a local IP (192.168.1.xxx)???

Also, I realize that I could put the Vonage router at the cable internet access point upstairs, but it's in a closet, and I don't want to put a phone in the closet. Plus I don't believe the wireless signal would be able to reach to the Main floor, which is a requirement.

Or is there another setup I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

EnzoVNG

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Hi srbruno

How are you?

My name is Enzo and I work within the Online Support Team at Vonage.
I'd love to help you with this query and get someone from the technical team to get in touch with you.

However, to do so, I need to know if you are having this problem with a UK or a US account
Please email me in private at enzo@vonage.com and will take it from there if that's ok

Thanks
Enzo at VonageUK

http://twitter.com/vonageuk
http://facebook.com/vonageuk