XP Command Prompt

September 4, 2005 10:38:43 AM

Hi,
I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the
Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select
the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes
me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
TIA, Ken Rock

More about : command prompt

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:38:44 AM

From Command Prompt type
ipconfig /all
or
ipconfig /?
for all options.

"Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
> When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the Run
> Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select the
> Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig is not
> recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
> file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes me to the
> Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
> TIA, Ken Rock
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:38:44 AM

Ken Rock wrote:
> I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS
> computer. When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick
> view of the Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When
> I select
> the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
> is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
> or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd'
> takes me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps
> to take? TIA, Ken Rock

The quick flash is because the command prompt was not told to stay open if
all you put in the run box was "ipconfig". IPCONFIG is a pure command line
command - displaying its results in the command prompt you open. regedit
and cmd open GUI interfaces for those items.. (Well, sorta in CMD's case.
hah)

Try this instead:

cmd /k ipconfig /all

The "cmd /k" tells the "cmd prompt" to stay open after displaying whatever
you told it to.

Now - as for your ".. is not recognised as an internal or external command
...", sounds like your pathing is screwed. try typing this in the run box:

cmd /k %SystemRoot%\system32\ipconfig /all

Does that give you what you were looking for?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TryingToHelp wrote:
> From Command Prompt type
> ipconfig /all
> or
> ipconfig /?
> for all options.
>
> "Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
>>When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the Run
>>Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select the
>>Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig is not
>>recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
>>file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes me to the
>>Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
>>TIA, Ken Rock

Many thanks for the fast response.
I still get a quick 'flash' of the message using Run and I still get the
error message 'ipconfig is not recognised.....' using the Command Prompt.

Regards, Ken Rock
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 12:25:33 PM

Hi,

Run cmd, then run this:

%windir%\system32\ipconfig.exe /all

(note the space before /all) Does it work now?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> TryingToHelp wrote:
>> From Command Prompt type
>> ipconfig /all
>> or
>> ipconfig /?
>> for all options.
>>
>> "Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
>>>When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the Run
>>>Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select the
>>>Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig is not
>>>recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
>>>file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes me to the
>>>Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
>>>TIA, Ken Rock
>>

> Many thanks for the fast response.
> I still get a quick 'flash' of the message using Run and I still get the
> error message 'ipconfig is not recognised.....' using the Command Prompt.
>
> Regards, Ken Rock
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:00:03 PM

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Run cmd, then run this:
>
> %windir%\system32\ipconfig.exe /all
>
> (note the space before /all) Does it work now?

Hi Rick,
Many thanks for your reply.
Yes, when I typed in the line after the prompt, I could see all the
information.
When I burrowed down to the System32 folder using the Command Prompt and
called for 'ipconfig.exe /all, again, everything came up.
Now I know where the commands are stored.
I am very grateful to you.
Regards, Ken Rock
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:08:37 PM

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Ken Rock wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS
>> computer. When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick
>>view of the Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When
>>I select
>>the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
>>is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
>>or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd'
>>takes me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps
>>to take? TIA, Ken Rock
>

> The quick flash is because the command prompt was not told to stay open if
> all you put in the run box was "ipconfig". IPCONFIG is a pure command line
> command - displaying its results in the command prompt you open. regedit
> and cmd open GUI interfaces for those items.. (Well, sorta in CMD's case.
> hah)
>
> Try this instead:
>
> cmd /k ipconfig /all
>
> The "cmd /k" tells the "cmd prompt" to stay open after displaying whatever
> you told it to.
>
> Now - as for your ".. is not recognised as an internal or external command
> ..", sounds like your pathing is screwed. try typing this in the run box:
>
> cmd /k %SystemRoot%\system32\ipconfig /all
>
> Does that give you what you were looking for?

Hi Shenan,
Your reply to my query came after I had responded to Rick.
Thank you for explaining the workings of the DOS procedures.
My Command Prompt sits at the 'Documents and Settings' folder and I'm
not sure where the path settings are hidden. For future use, can I add
Windows/System32 to the path settings?
Again, thanks for your response.
Ken Rock
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 3:08:38 PM

Hi,

Start/run cmd, then from the prompt run PATH, it should show the current
settings. This is a system environmental variable, and if
C:\Windows\system32 is not included, it can be added on the advanced tab of
system properties in the Control Panel. You will find a button for the
variables at the bottom, click it and then add to the existing system path
variable, use a semicolon between each statement.

--

> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> Ken Rock wrote:
>>
>>>I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS
>>> computer. When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick
>>>view of the Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When
>>>I select
>>>the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
>>>is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
>>>or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd'
>>>takes me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps
>>>to take? TIA, Ken Rock
>>

>> The quick flash is because the command prompt was not told to stay open
>> if all you put in the run box was "ipconfig". IPCONFIG is a pure command
>> line command - displaying its results in the command prompt you open.
>> regedit and cmd open GUI interfaces for those items.. (Well, sorta in
>> CMD's case. hah)
>>
>> Try this instead:
>>
>> cmd /k ipconfig /all
>>
>> The "cmd /k" tells the "cmd prompt" to stay open after displaying
>> whatever you told it to.
>>
>> Now - as for your ".. is not recognised as an internal or external
>> command ..", sounds like your pathing is screwed. try typing this in the
>> run box:
>>
>> cmd /k %SystemRoot%\system32\ipconfig /all
>>
>> Does that give you what you were looking for?
>>
> Hi Shenan,
> Your reply to my query came after I had responded to Rick.
> Thank you for explaining the workings of the DOS procedures.
> My Command Prompt sits at the 'Documents and Settings' folder and I'm not
> sure where the path settings are hidden. For future use, can I add
> Windows/System32 to the path settings?
> Again, thanks for your response.
> Ken Rock
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:23:17 PM

Ken Rock wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
> When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the
> Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select
> the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
> is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
> or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes
> me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to
> take?
> TIA, Ken Rock

Just to make things clear, are you aware of the availability of most of
that information without resorting to a command prompt window?
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 5:44:49 PM

This indicates that there is a problem with your PATH statement, since anything in Windows or Windows\System32 should run without the necessity of using the full path.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:TsASe.1898$Aa1.315@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
> Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Run cmd, then run this:
>>
>> %windir%\system32\ipconfig.exe /all
>>
>> (note the space before /all) Does it work now?
>>
> Hi Rick,
> Many thanks for your reply.
> Yes, when I typed in the line after the prompt, I could see all the
> information.
> When I burrowed down to the System32 folder using the Command Prompt and
> called for 'ipconfig.exe /all, again, everything came up.
> Now I know where the commands are stored.
> I am very grateful to you.
> Regards, Ken Rock
September 5, 2005 5:36:17 PM

"" wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS
> computer.
> When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick
> view of the
> Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When
> I select
> the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message
> "ipconfig
> is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable
> program
> or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and
> 'cmd' takes
> me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next
> steps to take?
> TIA, Ken Rock

Dose C:WINDOWSsystem32ipconfig.exe exsist?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-XP-Command-Prompt-f...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1391485
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:21:03 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Pro OS computer. When
I type 'cmd' , 'regedit" , "telnet 192.168.x.x "in the Run box, I see a very
quick view of the Console window ( Black window) but it disappears before I
can read it and I am wondering why?
Can anyone please, have a solution for this situation?

Thanks,

Polo_cave

--
polo_cave

"Ken Rock" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
> When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the
> Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select
> the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
> is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
> or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes
> me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
> TIA, Ken Rock

September 9, 2005 3:37:52 PM

"polo_cave" <polocave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Pro OS
> computer. When I type 'cmd' , 'regedit" ,

Regedit is not a command-line executable. To use Regedit, go to Start-Run
and then type regedit followed by return.
Anonymous
September 9, 2005 3:37:53 PM

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your help. Anyway as I mention earlier the commands : cmd,
regedit, telnet x.x.x.x started from Run is opening a Console window (Black
windows) only for less the a second and then disappear very quickly. In
adition to that even Command prompt from the Accesories is comming for less
then a second and then quicly disappear.
However if I try "notepad" or "mmc" f.i. I have no problem , that is way
this whole problem is kind of weird.
I hope that someone will have a clue and help me with this situatuin.

Thanks,

Polo_cave
--
polo_cave