XP Command Prompt

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,
I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the
Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select
the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes
me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
TIA, Ken Rock
13 answers Last reply
More about command prompt
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    From Command Prompt type
    ipconfig /all
    or
    ipconfig /?
    for all options.

    "Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:TDwSe.333$QQ5.238@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net...
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
    > When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the Run
    > Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select the
    > Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig is not
    > recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
    > file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes me to the
    > Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
    > TIA, Ken Rock
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Ken Rock wrote:
    > I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS
    > computer. When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick
    > view of the Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When
    > I select
    > the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
    > is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
    > or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd'
    > takes me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps
    > to take? TIA, Ken Rock

    The quick flash is because the command prompt was not told to stay open if
    all you put in the run box was "ipconfig". IPCONFIG is a pure command line
    command - displaying its results in the command prompt you open. regedit
    and cmd open GUI interfaces for those items.. (Well, sorta in CMD's case.
    hah)

    Try this instead:

    cmd /k ipconfig /all

    The "cmd /k" tells the "cmd prompt" to stay open after displaying whatever
    you told it to.

    Now - as for your ".. is not recognised as an internal or external command
    ...", sounds like your pathing is screwed. try typing this in the run box:

    cmd /k %SystemRoot%\system32\ipconfig /all

    Does that give you what you were looking for?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    TryingToHelp wrote:
    > From Command Prompt type
    > ipconfig /all
    > or
    > ipconfig /?
    > for all options.
    >
    > "Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > news:TDwSe.333$QQ5.238@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
    >>When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the Run
    >>Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select the
    >>Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig is not
    >>recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
    >>file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes me to the
    >>Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
    >>TIA, Ken Rock
    >
    >
    >
    Many thanks for the fast response.
    I still get a quick 'flash' of the message using Run and I still get the
    error message 'ipconfig is not recognised.....' using the Command Prompt.

    Regards, Ken Rock
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi,

    Run cmd, then run this:

    %windir%\system32\ipconfig.exe /all

    (note the space before /all) Does it work now?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:0cySe.859$st1.451@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
    > TryingToHelp wrote:
    >> From Command Prompt type
    >> ipconfig /all
    >> or
    >> ipconfig /?
    >> for all options.
    >>
    >> "Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> news:TDwSe.333$QQ5.238@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net...
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
    >>>When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the Run
    >>>Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select the
    >>>Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig is not
    >>>recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
    >>>file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes me to the
    >>>Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
    >>>TIA, Ken Rock
    >>
    >>
    >>
    > Many thanks for the fast response.
    > I still get a quick 'flash' of the message using Run and I still get the
    > error message 'ipconfig is not recognised.....' using the Command Prompt.
    >
    > Regards, Ken Rock
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Run cmd, then run this:
    >
    > %windir%\system32\ipconfig.exe /all
    >
    > (note the space before /all) Does it work now?
    >
    Hi Rick,
    Many thanks for your reply.
    Yes, when I typed in the line after the prompt, I could see all the
    information.
    When I burrowed down to the System32 folder using the Command Prompt and
    called for 'ipconfig.exe /all, again, everything came up.
    Now I know where the commands are stored.
    I am very grateful to you.
    Regards, Ken Rock
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Ken Rock wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS
    >> computer. When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick
    >>view of the Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When
    >>I select
    >>the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
    >>is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
    >>or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd'
    >>takes me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps
    >>to take? TIA, Ken Rock
    >
    >
    > The quick flash is because the command prompt was not told to stay open if
    > all you put in the run box was "ipconfig". IPCONFIG is a pure command line
    > command - displaying its results in the command prompt you open. regedit
    > and cmd open GUI interfaces for those items.. (Well, sorta in CMD's case.
    > hah)
    >
    > Try this instead:
    >
    > cmd /k ipconfig /all
    >
    > The "cmd /k" tells the "cmd prompt" to stay open after displaying whatever
    > you told it to.
    >
    > Now - as for your ".. is not recognised as an internal or external command
    > ..", sounds like your pathing is screwed. try typing this in the run box:
    >
    > cmd /k %SystemRoot%\system32\ipconfig /all
    >
    > Does that give you what you were looking for?
    >
    Hi Shenan,
    Your reply to my query came after I had responded to Rick.
    Thank you for explaining the workings of the DOS procedures.
    My Command Prompt sits at the 'Documents and Settings' folder and I'm
    not sure where the path settings are hidden. For future use, can I add
    Windows/System32 to the path settings?
    Again, thanks for your response.
    Ken Rock
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi,

    Start/run cmd, then from the prompt run PATH, it should show the current
    settings. This is a system environmental variable, and if
    C:\Windows\system32 is not included, it can be added on the advanced tab of
    system properties in the Control Panel. You will find a button for the
    variables at the bottom, click it and then add to the existing system path
    variable, use a semicolon between each statement.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    news:VAASe.864$Y06.120@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
    > Shenan Stanley wrote:
    >> Ken Rock wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS
    >>> computer. When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick
    >>>view of the Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When
    >>>I select
    >>>the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
    >>>is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
    >>>or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd'
    >>>takes me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps
    >>>to take? TIA, Ken Rock
    >>
    >>
    >> The quick flash is because the command prompt was not told to stay open
    >> if all you put in the run box was "ipconfig". IPCONFIG is a pure command
    >> line command - displaying its results in the command prompt you open.
    >> regedit and cmd open GUI interfaces for those items.. (Well, sorta in
    >> CMD's case. hah)
    >>
    >> Try this instead:
    >>
    >> cmd /k ipconfig /all
    >>
    >> The "cmd /k" tells the "cmd prompt" to stay open after displaying
    >> whatever you told it to.
    >>
    >> Now - as for your ".. is not recognised as an internal or external
    >> command ..", sounds like your pathing is screwed. try typing this in the
    >> run box:
    >>
    >> cmd /k %SystemRoot%\system32\ipconfig /all
    >>
    >> Does that give you what you were looking for?
    >>
    > Hi Shenan,
    > Your reply to my query came after I had responded to Rick.
    > Thank you for explaining the workings of the DOS procedures.
    > My Command Prompt sits at the 'Documents and Settings' folder and I'm not
    > sure where the path settings are hidden. For future use, can I add
    > Windows/System32 to the path settings?
    > Again, thanks for your response.
    > Ken Rock
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Ken Rock wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
    > When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the
    > Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select
    > the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
    > is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
    > or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes
    > me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to
    > take?
    > TIA, Ken Rock

    Just to make things clear, are you aware of the availability of most of
    that information without resorting to a command prompt window?
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    This indicates that there is a problem with your PATH statement, since anything in Windows or Windows\System32 should run without the necessity of using the full path.

    --
    Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    --------------------------------
    Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Ken Rock" <k.rock@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:TsASe.1898$Aa1.315@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net...
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Run cmd, then run this:
    >>
    >> %windir%\system32\ipconfig.exe /all
    >>
    >> (note the space before /all) Does it work now?
    >>
    > Hi Rick,
    > Many thanks for your reply.
    > Yes, when I typed in the line after the prompt, I could see all the
    > information.
    > When I burrowed down to the System32 folder using the Command Prompt and
    > called for 'ipconfig.exe /all, again, everything came up.
    > Now I know where the commands are stored.
    > I am very grateful to you.
    > Regards, Ken Rock
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "" wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS
    > computer.
    > When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick
    > view of the
    > Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When
    > I select
    > the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message
    > "ipconfig
    > is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable
    > program
    > or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and
    > 'cmd' takes
    > me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next
    > steps to take?
    > TIA, Ken Rock

    Dose C:WINDOWSsystem32ipconfig.exe exsist?

    --
    Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
    Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Basics-XP-Command-Prompt-ftopict417154.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1391485
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi,
    I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Pro OS computer. When
    I type 'cmd' , 'regedit" , "telnet 192.168.x.x "in the Run box, I see a very
    quick view of the Console window ( Black window) but it disappears before I
    can read it and I am wondering why?
    Can anyone please, have a solution for this situation?

    Thanks,

    Polo_cave


    --
    polo_cave


    "Ken Rock" wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Home OS computer.
    > When I type 'ipconfig' in the Run box, I see a very quick view of the
    > Run Message Box but it disappears before I can read it. When I select
    > the Command Prompt and type in 'ipconfig', I see the message "ipconfig
    > is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program
    > or batch file." The 'Run' facility recognises 'Regedit' and 'cmd' takes
    > me to the Command Prompt. Can anyone please suggest the next steps to take?
    > TIA, Ken Rock
    >
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "polo_cave" <polocave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:14FDE1DE-32DF-4035-829B-2EE96F4403AF@microsoft.com
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Pro OS
    > computer. When I type 'cmd' , 'regedit" ,

    Regedit is not a command-line executable. To use Regedit, go to Start-Run
    and then type regedit followed by return.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Gordon,

    Thank you for your help. Anyway as I mention earlier the commands : cmd,
    regedit, telnet x.x.x.x started from Run is opening a Console window (Black
    windows) only for less the a second and then disappear very quickly. In
    adition to that even Command prompt from the Accesories is comming for less
    then a second and then quicly disappear.
    However if I try "notepad" or "mmc" f.i. I have no problem , that is way
    this whole problem is kind of weird.
    I hope that someone will have a clue and help me with this situatuin.

    Thanks,

    Polo_cave
    --
    polo_cave


    "Gordon" wrote:

    > "polo_cave" <polocave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:14FDE1DE-32DF-4035-829B-2EE96F4403AF@microsoft.com
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm trying to use the Command Prompt on my Windows XP Pro OS
    > > computer. When I type 'cmd' , 'regedit" ,
    >
    > Regedit is not a command-line executable. To use Regedit, go to Start-Run
    > and then type regedit followed by return.
    >
    >
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

ipconfig Command Prompt Windows XP