Best system for Adobe Products & Gaming (unlimited budget)

Zigrivers

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
I am trying to put together a new system that will primarily be used for photography and video editing (all adobe applications) and gaming. It will also be used with office applications (MS office). However, the big thing that I'm trying to accomplish with the system is to create the most responsive system that I can especially when it comes to photo editing and video editing.

I've been looking at putting together a skulltrail system, but I'm not sure that's the best route to go due to some of the limitations I've been reading (memory limitations - FB-dimm).

I have two 30 inch monitors that I currently use and plan on getting two ATI 4870 x2's to drive those monitors. I'm just not sure what I need to go with when it comes to the motherboard, cpus and RAM - I want to get the components that will provide the most performance for what I want to do. Price doesn't really factor in, I just want the best possible system available today for what I'm trying to do.

Any advice and guidance you guys can give would be great, especially if you are running the adobe applications and doing similar things (Lightroom for photography and adobe suite for video and image editing).

Thanks for your help!

If you want the best, get the skulltrail, but I'm not sure how much extra it'll give. How many threads are those programs written for? I mean, after a point, tasks like video and photo editing hit the wall in terms of speed.

I'd just get a high end ATX board, with ddr3, and then throw in an overclocked quad core from intel. get your two 4870x2's, and you'll be fine.

Considering that nehalem is so close, and does something like 8 threads on 4 cores right? x58 chipsets will be able to support both sli and xfire, plus will use ddr3 memory. I would really wait if I we're you.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

+1

HERSHEY

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Zigrivers,
I wouldn`t spend all that money on a Skulltrail system.I think you could put it towards other components and get better rendering speeds.Adobe software will be able to take advantage of a quad core CPU.
Photoshop CS3 can utilise up to 3GB of ram,so if you use a 64 bit O.S.,installing 8GB of ram would be best.
As others have said,if you can wait,Nahalem should give a good speed boost.If you need something now,a WD 300GB Velociraptor hdd will work well too.SAS hdd, would be even faster,if cost is less important to you than your time.
A good workstation MB with dual CPU`s would be faster still.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
For what you're doing, you need MULTIPLE separate hard drives. I'm talking at least four:
1 - Windows
2 - Photshop
3 - Premiere
4 - Gaming
5 - Your render/encode to/storage drive