Btx: using atx cpu coolers

Co60

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I am building a BTX system using a pico BTX board and a Cooler Master B541 minitower case. I was wondering if any coolers designed for ATX systems would also work in a BTX system. If they would work, I would use one where the fan blows across the heatsink, from front to back, so that airflow would be similar to how BTX was designed. An example of such a cooler would be this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

I am interested in doing a copper heatsink theme in my system. Also, I will probably eventually upgrade to an Allendale 2.4GHz to be overclocked to 3.2GHz, and so will like to upgrade from my Type II HS I am currently using (on a 1.8GHz Allendale OCed to 2.4GHz).

If I have to I will just upgrade to a Type I HS, but I would like something all copper, and I would like the copper to be visible (as opposed to covered by a shroud as true BTX coolers are).

Thanks for any help!

-Chris P

Your system was designed originally so all components worked together. The copper heatsink can't hurt, but I don't know how the case airflow will be affected. If you remove the shroud and let the back fan work to remove air from the whole system instead of just the cpu, that might work out fine. And for your info, all btx motherboards stop at 1066 fsb for core2 duo, leaving you with a dead end. Unless you got the btx board for free, I wouldn't design anything around btx.

Co60

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Well I can run a E4700 (2.6GHz) Core2 @ 3.46GHz on a 1066MHz bus. That should be enough processor for me for the next 2 years, at which point I would upgrade to ATX if nothing better for BTX comes out. Even the E4200 OCed to 2.4GHz seems to be fine for now. Though I have to ask, is there anyway to run my bus faster? I believe I could try to force it to run a 1.3GHz bus, but am not sure what would happen. Probably some overheating of my northbridge at the very least.

But yeah I am currently using a slim Dell, and that is the board I will be using. The X1600 video card I installed a while back is way too weak, and any card that will fit into this slim case will also be. So, Im not so much building a new system as I am upgrading the one I already have, with a new case, PS, and video card.

-Chris P