slow compute because of cache/memory speed?

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
i benchmarked my system using SiSoftware Sandra Lite and I ran the Cache and Memory test under the Memory Controller category. under the PERFORMANCE VS SPEED tab my e8400@3ghz with 2x1gb ddr2 800mhz ram is at 18.477gb/s. The problem I have with that is its below an old junker, the e6700 (4mb cache 2.66ghz with 2x1gb ddr2) at 24.45gb/s. is this why my computer is so slow? what should i do?

There's also no way that the memory is getting >10GB/s over the FSB. Those speeds are definitely cache speeds.

The real question isn't the performance of the CPU in something like SANDRA though, the real question is how it performs for applications. Is it slower in applications?

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
not sure about games but it would make sense to me that theres a cache/memory problem because just scrolling around my computer opening up ms word documents and doing such simple things its a little slow considering its an e8400

proto_prime

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
Dekasav - BIOS is at up to date, running a fresh copy of windows, memory is running on the same colors (yes, in dual channel)
someguy7 - i meant to say that im just doing basic things like opening word documents its kinda slow for an e8400.

"There's also no way that the memory is getting >10GB/s over the FSB. Those speeds are definitely cache speeds." --cjl

so what are you saying, my memory is OK but my cpu cache speeds are not performing well?