P5q se plus reporting wrong memory size.

Michael1975

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Hi All.

Just built myself a new PC i bought the P5Q SE plus and 2x4gb (1066Mhz) kingston memory modules (KHX8500D2K2/4G) but the the Motherboard only report 4gb 2x2gb.
The motherboard can handle 16 gb (4x4) and the kingston modules (KHX8500D2K2) is in the qvl from Asus, got the newest Bios flash and even called the Asus tech support which told me to enable memory whole (like wtf) that didnt help.
I have tried to fiddle around with various setting of the bios without luck.

Anyone got any ideas what wront with this main board?

Michael1975

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Hehe maybe so but i dont think so, but i guess your right newer know how far they will go trying to save money theese days :)

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I never meant to imply that whoever made it was trying to rip someone off, Ive just read posts on forums, some were on the Manufacturers sites about receiving something labeled as one thing but being reported as something different in Everest(model numbers etc)

I guess the easiest way to test is to pull one stick out and see whats reported that way. If it gets reported as 2gb then you've got mislabeled RAM, if its reported as 4gb then you may have a motherboard issue.

Also which OS do you have? I feel bad for even thinking it, but there are people out there dumb enough to install 8gb on a system running a 32bit OS.(if it turns out you are using Windows XP 32bit or Vista 32, I apologize for calling you dumb but well you know.)

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
cliffro is so politically correct!

Just wondering, have you tried the ram sticks one by one? Have you tried them in another machine? If not, do it and report back so we can get more data to help out.

GrimReeperNL

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008

Assuming that the poster means that "mainboard is reporting ...." is the same as "bios is reporting...." then the OS cannot be an issue.

But indeed, people tend to make that mistake (Same as formatting a disk to FAT32 and then wondering why the 8Gb file can't be moved to it ;-))