homznmt

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Hi all! I replaced the fried hd in my Dell Dimension with a Seagate 160 sata drive and installed XP & other software on it. But when I reboot, the computer goes to bios, saying it can't find hard drive 0. If I hit F1 to continue, the next screen lists XP, so I can go into Windows that way and it all works great.

*Another site* ;) told me to set the jumper pins to cable connect, so I did that...is that what my problem is? Should it be set to master? It's been a long time since I've installed any hardware and am pretty rusty!

Thanks for your help.

Solution
If you have a sata drive, there is no master/slave. That is for IDE only.

Access the bios and set the new drive to the first boot device(possibly excepting the dvd).
You should not see any other possible drives.

I think the windows boot manager thinks there is another drive available to boot from.
Do some googling on how to fix XP boot manager issues. I know it can be done, I am not expert there.
If you have a sata drive, there is no master/slave. That is for IDE only.

Access the bios and set the new drive to the first boot device(possibly excepting the dvd).
You should not see any other possible drives.

I think the windows boot manager thinks there is another drive available to boot from.
Do some googling on how to fix XP boot manager issues. I know it can be done, I am not expert there.

Solution