Trouble for SOE and LA?

Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...

http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10
15 answers Last reply
More about trouble
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >
    >http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

    Too little too late?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >
    >http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

    You know.....

    I am no fan of developers or game managers. Anybody who has known me
    over the years of UO and EQ and AO and now SWG and anybody who has
    followed my posts in UO and EQ will know that I don't cut the
    developers or the game managers a damned bit of slack. I have always
    felt that the managers are only concerned with two things.... that
    both really only relate to one thing... Those are maintaining
    subscription rates and reducing costs. Both of these relate only to
    maintaining profits. Beyond maintaining profits these poor schmucks
    that are slaves to the investors literally MUST show an ever improving
    proifit picure every time one of the investors farts in the wrong
    direction!

    Developers are, for the most part by their actions, totally ignorant
    to what the players continue to exhibit a desire to do in games.
    Developers are the most ego driven individuals in all creation!

    That being said.....

    I really must wonder if any of these moaning and complaining people
    that play these games have the slightest clue as to what is going on??

    These games are VIRTUAL REALITIES. They are worlds unto themselves
    with individuals living virtual lives!!! It is not the damned content
    that keeps you interested in the game....... it's the THINGS THAT YOU
    FIND TO DO! You must find a PURPOSE in these worlds just like you have
    to find a purpose in REAL LIFE in order to have a reason for existing.

    In SWG my main character is a hunter seeking out resources for my
    secondary character a Crafter. I also try to help out the guild and my
    fellow guildmates in their quests for resources.

    It's all interlaced folks. If all you want to do is go blast and shoot
    em up then there are plenty of those kinds of games available... but
    NONE of them is going to satisfy you because you just don;t get it
    that without a REAL PURPOSE you really have nothing but a time passing
    activity. YOu emmerse yourself in these games.... don;t wait for the
    game to drag you in and cover you up cause it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Answering this in-line cause Im bored and killing time till Wow;

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:42:55 -0400, Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >>
    >>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10
    >
    >You know.....
    >
    >I am no fan of developers or game managers. Anybody who has known me
    >over the years of UO and EQ and AO and now SWG and anybody who has
    >followed my posts in UO and EQ will know that I don't cut the
    >developers or the game managers a damned bit of slack. I have always
    >felt that the managers are only concerned with two things.... that
    >both really only relate to one thing... Those are maintaining
    >subscription rates and reducing costs. Both of these relate only to
    >maintaining profits. Beyond maintaining profits these poor schmucks
    >that are slaves to the investors literally MUST show an ever improving
    >proifit picure every time one of the investors farts in the wrong
    >direction!

    The one reason EQ was such a killer game pre-soe is the guys doing it
    belived in what they were doing and did not have to contend with an
    excess of corp mentality. We may never see the like again.

    >Developers are, for the most part by their actions, totally ignorant
    >to what the players continue to exhibit a desire to do in games.
    >Developers are the most ego driven individuals in all creation!

    So true it hurts. Has killed more games than I care to remember. They
    seem to take the attitude we (paying players) should be glad they took
    the trouble to design a game. Heh those times have been long gone but
    the attitude persists.

    >That being said.....
    >
    >I really must wonder if any of these moaning and complaining people
    >that play these games have the slightest clue as to what is going on??

    It depends as there are the good players who see problems and try to
    call attention it them so they can be fixed. These are constantly
    frustrated and are not whining. They are customers and if ya dont
    listen to them then whats the point??

    >These games are VIRTUAL REALITIES. They are worlds unto themselves
    >with individuals living virtual lives!!! It is not the damned content
    >that keeps you interested in the game....... it's the THINGS THAT YOU
    >FIND TO DO! You must find a PURPOSE in these worlds just like you have
    >to find a purpose in REAL LIFE in order to have a reason for existing.

    Good theory but fails in that we are bound to someone elses vision of
    what the game is and isnt. A bad game leaves little for you to
    discover (low content ie swg) a good one provides more than you can
    possibly ever find (high content ie early eq). Beyond the social
    aspects which includes pvp, players are totaly reliant on the
    developers. For instance can you in swg create your own quest? Create
    your own faction? Nope these have to be provided.

    >In SWG my main character is a hunter seeking out resources for my
    >secondary character a Crafter. I also try to help out the guild and my
    >fellow guildmates in their quests for resources.

    Problem with SWG has always been lack of content. You hit a point
    where more money becomes meaningless very quickly. Tradeskills them
    selves are not much fun, click here and here and stack this there.
    Pointless since you are bound not by you own creativity but by what
    the game allows you to do.

    >It's all interlaced folks. If all you want to do is go blast and shoot
    >em up then there are plenty of those kinds of games available... but
    >NONE of them is going to satisfy you because you just don;t get it
    >that without a REAL PURPOSE you really have nothing but a time passing
    >activity. YOu emmerse yourself in these games.... don;t wait for the
    >game to drag you in and cover you up cause it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

    There is no REAL purpose in any game unless you are making RL money
    from it. The journey has to be fun and somehow thats been forgotten
    and not just by soe. Can you create a customised version of a armored
    land speeder that also has a laser cannon? A new fabric that allows
    better armor? Sorry but no you cant. Theres no way to turn a bad game
    into a good one.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    <Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >>
    >>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10
    >
    > You know.....
    >
    > I am no fan of developers or game managers. Anybody who has known me
    > over the years of UO and EQ and AO and now SWG and anybody who has
    > followed my posts in UO and EQ will know that I don't cut the
    > developers or the game managers a damned bit of slack. I have always
    > felt that the managers are only concerned with two things.... that
    > both really only relate to one thing... Those are maintaining
    > subscription rates and reducing costs. Both of these relate only to
    > maintaining profits. Beyond maintaining profits these poor schmucks
    > that are slaves to the investors literally MUST show an ever improving
    > proifit picure every time one of the investors farts in the wrong
    > direction!
    >
    > Developers are, for the most part by their actions, totally ignorant
    > to what the players continue to exhibit a desire to do in games.
    > Developers are the most ego driven individuals in all creation!
    >
    > That being said.....
    >
    > I really must wonder if any of these moaning and complaining people
    > that play these games have the slightest clue as to what is going on??
    >
    > These games are VIRTUAL REALITIES. They are worlds unto themselves
    > with individuals living virtual lives!!! It is not the damned content
    > that keeps you interested in the game....... it's the THINGS THAT YOU
    > FIND TO DO! You must find a PURPOSE in these worlds just like you have
    > to find a purpose in REAL LIFE in order to have a reason for existing.
    >
    > In SWG my main character is a hunter seeking out resources for my
    > secondary character a Crafter. I also try to help out the guild and my
    > fellow guildmates in their quests for resources.
    >
    > It's all interlaced folks. If all you want to do is go blast and shoot
    > em up then there are plenty of those kinds of games available... but
    > NONE of them is going to satisfy you because you just don;t get it
    > that without a REAL PURPOSE you really have nothing but a time passing
    > activity. YOu emmerse yourself in these games.... don;t wait for the
    > game to drag you in and cover you up cause it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

    Agree.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    > Problem with SWG has always been lack of content.

    SWG's main problem.

    >You hit a point
    > where more money becomes meaningless very quickly. Tradeskills them
    > selves are not much fun, click here and here and stack this there.
    > Pointless since you are bound not by you own creativity but by what
    > the game allows you to do.

    Unsure when it comes to tradeskills as I have only seen EQs, but isn't SWGs
    tradskills system is the best so far?

    > There is no REAL purpose in any game unless you are making RL money
    > from it. The journey has to be fun and somehow thats been forgotten
    > and not just by soe. Can you create a customised version of a armored
    > land speeder that also has a laser cannon? A new fabric that allows
    > better armor? Sorry but no you cant. Theres no way to turn a bad game
    > into a good one.

    The "journey" is the purpose. If somehow, magically, SOE added a ton of
    content to SWG, that would turn a decent game into a great game. It's a
    great engine, but it just feels incomplete.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Ringo wrote:
> [...]
    > what the game is and isnt. A bad game leaves little for you to
    > discover (low content ie swg) a good one provides more than you can
    > possibly ever find (high content ie early eq). Beyond the social
    > aspects which includes pvp, players are totaly reliant on the
    > developers. For instance can you in swg create your own quest? Create
    > your own faction? Nope these have to be provided.
    >

    >>In SWG my main character is a hunter seeking out resources for my
    >>secondary character a Crafter. I also try to help out the guild and my
    >>fellow guildmates in their quests for resources.
    >>

    > Problem with SWG has always been lack of content. You hit a point
    > where more money becomes meaningless very quickly. Tradeskills them
    > selves are not much fun, click here and here and stack this there.
    > Pointless since you are bound not by you own creativity but by what

    I would call it a "content-ing" problem. They have not been adding much
    in the way of ordinary, mid-level content. While I do appreciate housing
    and vehicles, the designers have not focused much on supporting the
    day-to-day game style. They spent two months on Jedi, which I found
    wasteful. I would rather they spent two months on creating a more
    dynamic quest system. From January to August, they wasted an opportunity
    to add life and depth to the system. Only in August, when they were
    desperate, did they actually start fixing long-standing player balance
    issues.

    I've not played other mmorps, so I can't compare too much. Then again, I
    don't want SWG to be just like other mmorphs. I like the limited skill
    sets and the limited use for money, but dislike AP and the rediculous
    price on some things.

    CH
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:39:11 -0500, Ringo <Ringo@noon.com> wrote:

    >The one reason EQ was such a killer game pre-soe is the guys doing it
    >belived in what they were doing and did not have to contend with an
    >excess of corp mentality. We may never see the like again.

    Yes, actually Verant/989 (know for it's sports console games) which
    was a subsidiary of Sony Games made EQ and Brad and the guys (avid D&D
    players who wanted that experience on the computer) had pretty much a
    free hand for two reasons;

    1. corporate didn't believe MMOGs, post UO, could be profitable. I'm
    sure Corporate's (always the shining example of "out on the box"
    creativity) MBAs, using a bunch of business formulas they learned in
    school, argued that the market for MMOG couldn't support more than one
    MMOG. So nobody in corporate wanted anything to do with MMOG.

    2. It was a single Sony executive who decided to take a chance and
    backed the game. He pretty much left them alone, sat back, and
    watched.He was an older executive, likely remembered the days of
    "chance taking".

    Any folks from the old days of EQ remember how the splash screens in
    the beginning were Verant and 989. Once EQ was a smash hit Sony found
    MMOG religion same as many death row convicts find Jesus; after the
    fact.

    It was then that they rolled Verant and 989 back into Sony proper.

    I do have to agree with Skinner, I wonder how much "the bottom line"
    drives dev design. I often wonder when I play SWG if there wasn't a
    conference where some of the executives had a conversation along the
    lines of the brand name "Star Wars" will sell SWG and quality of game
    would be secondary concern as developing that is 99% of your budget
    and running this aspect "mean and lean" will get you a higher profit
    margin. Anybody who has work corporate before and has had the pleasure
    of the man power/budget cut followed with the shortened deadline. I
    can tell you I never walked away from that situation thinking to
    myself, "Wow, that was my best work!" Instead I and other took short
    cuts, spent less time dotting "I"s and crossing "T"s in order to
    finish by the deadline. The irony was even though we were left wit
    that feeling that our work was ok but lacking in quality; we were
    informed corporate was happy with the work because in the end,it
    preformed within the budget/profit model. It was after that "Catch 22"
    moment I stopped asking question.

    In some ways I fear for EQ2 and hope I am wrong. I can only hope Sony
    was hurt by their "short cuts" financially to the point they must
    accept that quality is a fixed commodity and not sacrificial for
    profit margins. On the bright side; there is always an out called
    World of Warcraft if they fall short for a second time.

    I played EQ for 5 years and found only in the last year that the new
    material was becoming "same as before" and nothing of a "Lost Dungeons
    of Nor.." quality and innovation. Most of my guildmates who had been
    with me for four years played less and less till we started to quit
    one by one. I came to SWG because I have friends there and I have been
    playing for 3 months and I must confess, I like some of the class,
    crafting, character abilities, but the game itself falls into a
    "lather, rinse, lather again" feeling. It took 5 years for me to fall
    into that rut in EQ. In the three months I have been in the game; my
    friends tell me guildies are fading and I should have been in the
    guild cantina on most eves in the past when it was filled with 30
    people. Now if four are in there at once we are lucky. I find it much
    easier to not login to SWG than through most of my EQ time. There is
    something about this game that there is something there which could be
    good, but it hasn't been realized yet, if ever...

    I am beginning to smell the beginning of that same, "it's done",
    stench in my friends guild that I felt at the end of EQ. JTL will do
    nothing to draw people back for the long haul, it will be a novelty
    that will lead to the same burn out for those people who said they
    were waiting for it to rejuvenate their interest in the game.

    Just my 2 credits worth...
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Shane wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:39:11 -0500, Ringo <Ringo@noon.com> wrote:
    >

    >>The one reason EQ was such a killer game pre-soe is the guys doing it
    >>belived in what they were doing and did not have to contend with an
    >>excess of corp mentality. We may never see the like again.
    >

    > Yes, actually Verant/989 (know for it's sports console games) which
    > was a subsidiary of Sony Games made EQ and Brad and the guys (avid D&D
    > players who wanted that experience on the computer) had pretty much a
    > free hand for two reasons;
    >
    > 1. corporate didn't believe MMOGs, post UO, could be profitable. I'm
    > sure Corporate's (always the shining example of "out on the box"
    > creativity) MBAs, using a bunch of business formulas they learned in
    > school, argued that the market for MMOG couldn't support more than one
    > MMOG. So nobody in corporate wanted anything to do with MMOG.
    >
    > 2. It was a single Sony executive who decided to take a chance and
    > backed the game. He pretty much left them alone, sat back, and
    > watched.He was an older executive, likely remembered the days of
    > "chance taking".
    >
    > Any folks from the old days of EQ remember how the splash screens in
    > the beginning were Verant and 989. Once EQ was a smash hit Sony found
    > MMOG religion same as many death row convicts find Jesus; after the
    > fact.
    >
    > It was then that they rolled Verant and 989 back into Sony proper.
    >
    > I do have to agree with Skinner, I wonder how much "the bottom line"
    > drives dev design. I often wonder when I play SWG if there wasn't a
    > conference where some of the executives had a conversation along the
    > lines of the brand name "Star Wars" will sell SWG and quality of game
    > would be secondary concern as developing that is 99% of your budget
    > and running this aspect "mean and lean" will get you a higher profit
    > margin. Anybody who has work corporate before and has had the pleasure
    > of the man power/budget cut followed with the shortened deadline. I
    > can tell you I never walked away from that situation thinking to
    > myself, "Wow, that was my best work!" Instead I and other took short
    > cuts, spent less time dotting "I"s and crossing "T"s in order to
    > finish by the deadline. The irony was even though we were left wit
    > that feeling that our work was ok but lacking in quality; we were
    > informed corporate was happy with the work because in the end,it
    > preformed within the budget/profit model. It was after that "Catch 22"
    > moment I stopped asking question.
    >
    > In some ways I fear for EQ2 and hope I am wrong. I can only hope Sony
    > was hurt by their "short cuts" financially to the point they must
    > accept that quality is a fixed commodity and not sacrificial for
    > profit margins. On the bright side; there is always an out called
    > World of Warcraft if they fall short for a second time.

    Botttom line is a big thing. SWG cost a huge amount of money at the same
    time that other projects were calling it quits. This made the backers
    quite jittery. The game itself proved more difficult to code than anyone
    thought, and the project was already over time and budget. This is an
    easy guess, as this is a normal scenario.

    I see the same thing for JtL. It's coming out for Chrismas. They have a
    good back-end written, but they didn't think much about HOW it would be
    played, or what would keep interest going in it. I think that there are
    many great ideas here, but they aren't challenging themselves to take
    the game into the next level. In the end, they will release this
    expansion, then do a revamp in six months to fix the continues balance
    problems.

    CH
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    This rumor is a hoax IMO. All the posts I have seen so far have just been
    idle talk with no proof whatsoever. "I have a friend who know a guy who
    says..." doesn't prove anything. In all likelihood all the different
    websites that have been reporting on this are talking to the same guy, or
    someone who talked to him, and who just happens to be one very disgruntled
    former SWG player trying to make trouble. Rumors are like that. The only
    thing that comes close to proof is the Lucasarts want ad for a new director,
    but they always have their own staff involved with the games so this doesn't
    prove anything either, it's nothing more than a personnel change. Look at
    the credits for SWG or any other Star Wars game and you will see that
    Lucasarts always hires a developer to do the hard work but always has their
    own production staff involved too. That's how they maintain creative
    control, and that is their normal business model. Nothing to see here.

    OTOH I can't *disprove* the rumor either... ;o)

    "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >
    > http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    The part that kinda screams "rumor" is the definitive statement I keep
    seeing relating to the time frame. Statements like "the day after jtl
    goes live, lucas arts is taking over SWG" just screams rumor. Any
    company worth their salt would NOT take over development of something
    like this the freaking day after a major product release. And, like you
    alluded to, I've only seen a single reference to anyone actually
    "knowing" anything and that was second hand. If I recall, the first
    mention of this I read about a few weeks ago basically said that "a
    friend of mine that is very close to star wars <something> said..." I
    can't recall what "star wars" connection he had but it most certainly
    wasn't "lucas arts". It was some sort of star wars comic or something of
    that nature. So, even if his "friend" with the "close" sources did "hear
    something", it could have easily been idle speculation by some peon at
    the water cooler.

    Frankly, I'm not going to worry about it, period.

    nib

    Haqsau wrote:
    > This rumor is a hoax IMO. All the posts I have seen so far have just been
    > idle talk with no proof whatsoever. "I have a friend who know a guy who
    > says..." doesn't prove anything. In all likelihood all the different
    > websites that have been reporting on this are talking to the same guy, or
    > someone who talked to him, and who just happens to be one very disgruntled
    > former SWG player trying to make trouble. Rumors are like that. The only
    > thing that comes close to proof is the Lucasarts want ad for a new director,
    > but they always have their own staff involved with the games so this doesn't
    > prove anything either, it's nothing more than a personnel change. Look at
    > the credits for SWG or any other Star Wars game and you will see that
    > Lucasarts always hires a developer to do the hard work but always has their
    > own production staff involved too. That's how they maintain creative
    > control, and that is their normal business model. Nothing to see here.
    >
    > OTOH I can't *disprove* the rumor either... ;o)
    >

    > "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >>
    >>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:05:53 -0400, Clawhound <none@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >I see the same thing for JtL. It's coming out for Chrismas. They have a
    >good back-end written, but they didn't think much about HOW it would be
    >played, or what would keep interest going in it. I think that there are
    >many great ideas here, but they aren't challenging themselves to take
    >the game into the next level. In the end, they will release this
    >expansion, then do a revamp in six months to fix the continues balance
    >problems.

    I agree, they have some great ideas in this game. I don't want to seem
    as if I am just bashing it in general, there are parts of it I hope to
    see influence EQ2's character and skill design. Perhaps after the
    combat revamp they can begin to figure out how to improve the
    "universe" and storyline in general.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    I played the game for a year. Initially, I thought it was one of the best
    games ever, but over time it didn't take long for it to become boring,
    repetitious and just a game of click-click.
    The game also gives MUCH GREATER advantages to powergamers and to those
    having MULTIPLE accounts over the casual player or single account player.
    The game doesn't require much skill and it's not really how good you are and
    adding a new method for being a Jedi or JTL won't change it. Instructions
    ......just keep on clicking.
    Anybody who's played for awhile knows once you made millions and clicked
    away at a number of professions knows how repetative the game becomes and
    the only other remaining thing is to change professions again, take on
    Guilds or Players cities for more content. Just how many times does one want
    to craft, make money or change professions by clicking away? Just how many
    times can you go to Squill Cave, Imp Research Facility, DWB, GeoCave or the
    Jedi Village.

    Yes, it lacks content terribly and I shouldn't have to pay to create my own
    content. Users have complained since its' release and they're even complaing
    about JTL. I would say, it's a sinking ship.

    Shuttle is here now; gotta go.
    Bye

    "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >
    > http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >
    >http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

    Some people think it's a rumor, but look at the LucasArts site under
    their job postings...hehe. Seems like there might be more truth to the
    rumor than people first thought.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    dak wrote:

    > I played the game for a year. Initially, I thought it was one of the best
    > games ever, but over time it didn't take long for it to become boring,
    > repetitious and just a game of click-click.
    > The game also gives MUCH GREATER advantages to powergamers and to those
    > having MULTIPLE accounts over the casual player or single account player.
    > The game doesn't require much skill and it's not really how good you are and
    > adding a new method for being a Jedi or JTL won't change it. Instructions
    > .....just keep on clicking.
    > Anybody who's played for awhile knows once you made millions and clicked
    > away at a number of professions knows how repetative the game becomes and
    > the only other remaining thing is to change professions again, take on
    > Guilds or Players cities for more content. Just how many times does one want
    > to craft, make money or change professions by clicking away? Just how many
    > times can you go to Squill Cave, Imp Research Facility, DWB, GeoCave or the
    > Jedi Village.
    >
    > Yes, it lacks content terribly and I shouldn't have to pay to create my own
    > content. Users have complained since its' release and they're even complaing
    > about JTL. I would say, it's a sinking ship.
    >
    > Shuttle is here now; gotta go.
    > Bye
    >
    > "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
    >>
    >>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

    In the end, all games are grinds. I don't know a game where you can't
    make the complain "it's a grind." If you focus on a grind, you get a
    grind. If you call it "The Sims", then folks will do it endlessly.

    I was playing Morrowind for a while, and really like it. When I cam back
    to SWG, I found things in SWG that I really liked.

    If there is a problem in Star Wars, its that the players don't have a
    way to see the team scores, nor do they get to know when they have a
    victory. If the GCW had a better scorecard and rewards for meeting
    faction challenges, then actions would have meaning.

    CH
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:03:13 -0400, Clawhound <none@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >In the end, all games are grinds. I don't know a game where you can't
    >make the complain "it's a grind." If you focus on a grind, you get a
    >grind. If you call it "The Sims", then folks will do it endlessly.
    >
    >I was playing Morrowind for a while, and really like it. When I cam back
    >to SWG, I found things in SWG that I really liked.
    >
    >If there is a problem in Star Wars, its that the players don't have a
    >way to see the team scores, nor do they get to know when they have a
    >victory. If the GCW had a better scorecard and rewards for meeting
    >faction challenges, then actions would have meaning.

    True and true,

    So you agree than that content is SWG problem, because in the end,if
    the world is more or less the same as the day it went live; why not
    just play a "morrowind" with multi-player or NeverWinter Nights.
    Rather then team scores, how about the impact of IMP bases versus Reb
    bases redefining the IMP or Reb presence on the planet. How about this
    causing random event of IMPs or Rebs landing strike teams (I know they
    can do this as it happened while I was farming animals).

    Yes all MMOG are grinds, trouble is poor content makes the grind more
    obvious. Seriously, other than the costumed NPCs, do you really feel
    immersed in the Star Wars galaxy? I feel like I am stuck in a "Ground
    Hog Day" snap shot of a Star Wars galaxy. Only thing players can
    really judge progress on is whether your base is up or down and
    babysitting a base day in and day out is one more repetitive grind and
    your reward is...

Games Video Games