Trouble for SOE and LA?

ringo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
>
>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

Too little too late?

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
>
>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

You know.....

I am no fan of developers or game managers. Anybody who has known me
over the years of UO and EQ and AO and now SWG and anybody who has
followed my posts in UO and EQ will know that I don't cut the
developers or the game managers a damned bit of slack. I have always
felt that the managers are only concerned with two things.... that
both really only relate to one thing... Those are maintaining
subscription rates and reducing costs. Both of these relate only to
maintaining profits. Beyond maintaining profits these poor schmucks
that are slaves to the investors literally MUST show an ever improving
proifit picure every time one of the investors farts in the wrong
direction!

Developers are, for the most part by their actions, totally ignorant
to what the players continue to exhibit a desire to do in games.
Developers are the most ego driven individuals in all creation!

That being said.....

I really must wonder if any of these moaning and complaining people
that play these games have the slightest clue as to what is going on??

These games are VIRTUAL REALITIES. They are worlds unto themselves
with individuals living virtual lives!!! It is not the damned content
that keeps you interested in the game....... it's the THINGS THAT YOU
FIND TO DO! You must find a PURPOSE in these worlds just like you have
to find a purpose in REAL LIFE in order to have a reason for existing.

In SWG my main character is a hunter seeking out resources for my
secondary character a Crafter. I also try to help out the guild and my
fellow guildmates in their quests for resources.

It's all interlaced folks. If all you want to do is go blast and shoot
em up then there are plenty of those kinds of games available... but
NONE of them is going to satisfy you because you just don;t get it
that without a REAL PURPOSE you really have nothing but a time passing
activity. YOu emmerse yourself in these games.... don;t wait for the
game to drag you in and cover you up cause it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

ringo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

Answering this in-line cause Im bored and killing time till Wow;

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:42:55 -0400, Skinner1@hotmail.com wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
>>
>>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10
>
>You know.....
>
>I am no fan of developers or game managers. Anybody who has known me
>over the years of UO and EQ and AO and now SWG and anybody who has
>followed my posts in UO and EQ will know that I don't cut the
>developers or the game managers a damned bit of slack. I have always
>felt that the managers are only concerned with two things.... that
>both really only relate to one thing... Those are maintaining
>subscription rates and reducing costs. Both of these relate only to
>maintaining profits. Beyond maintaining profits these poor schmucks
>that are slaves to the investors literally MUST show an ever improving
>proifit picure every time one of the investors farts in the wrong
>direction!

The one reason EQ was such a killer game pre-soe is the guys doing it
belived in what they were doing and did not have to contend with an
excess of corp mentality. We may never see the like again.

>Developers are, for the most part by their actions, totally ignorant
>to what the players continue to exhibit a desire to do in games.
>Developers are the most ego driven individuals in all creation!

So true it hurts. Has killed more games than I care to remember. They
seem to take the attitude we (paying players) should be glad they took
the trouble to design a game. Heh those times have been long gone but
the attitude persists.

>That being said.....
>
>I really must wonder if any of these moaning and complaining people
>that play these games have the slightest clue as to what is going on??

It depends as there are the good players who see problems and try to
call attention it them so they can be fixed. These are constantly
frustrated and are not whining. They are customers and if ya dont
listen to them then whats the point??

>These games are VIRTUAL REALITIES. They are worlds unto themselves
>with individuals living virtual lives!!! It is not the damned content
>that keeps you interested in the game....... it's the THINGS THAT YOU
>FIND TO DO! You must find a PURPOSE in these worlds just like you have
>to find a purpose in REAL LIFE in order to have a reason for existing.

Good theory but fails in that we are bound to someone elses vision of
what the game is and isnt. A bad game leaves little for you to
discover (low content ie swg) a good one provides more than you can
possibly ever find (high content ie early eq). Beyond the social
aspects which includes pvp, players are totaly reliant on the
developers. For instance can you in swg create your own quest? Create
your own faction? Nope these have to be provided.

>In SWG my main character is a hunter seeking out resources for my
>secondary character a Crafter. I also try to help out the guild and my
>fellow guildmates in their quests for resources.

Problem with SWG has always been lack of content. You hit a point
where more money becomes meaningless very quickly. Tradeskills them
selves are not much fun, click here and here and stack this there.
Pointless since you are bound not by you own creativity but by what
the game allows you to do.

>It's all interlaced folks. If all you want to do is go blast and shoot
>em up then there are plenty of those kinds of games available... but
>NONE of them is going to satisfy you because you just don;t get it
>that without a REAL PURPOSE you really have nothing but a time passing
>activity. YOu emmerse yourself in these games.... don;t wait for the
>game to drag you in and cover you up cause it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

There is no REAL purpose in any game unless you are making RL money
from it. The journey has to be fun and somehow thats been forgotten
and not just by soe. Can you create a customised version of a armored
land speeder that also has a laser cannon? A new fabric that allows
better armor? Sorry but no you cant. Theres no way to turn a bad game
into a good one.

<Skinner1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
>>
>>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10
>
> You know.....
>
> I am no fan of developers or game managers. Anybody who has known me
> over the years of UO and EQ and AO and now SWG and anybody who has
> followed my posts in UO and EQ will know that I don't cut the
> developers or the game managers a damned bit of slack. I have always
> felt that the managers are only concerned with two things.... that
> both really only relate to one thing... Those are maintaining
> subscription rates and reducing costs. Both of these relate only to
> maintaining profits. Beyond maintaining profits these poor schmucks
> that are slaves to the investors literally MUST show an ever improving
> proifit picure every time one of the investors farts in the wrong
> direction!
>
> Developers are, for the most part by their actions, totally ignorant
> to what the players continue to exhibit a desire to do in games.
> Developers are the most ego driven individuals in all creation!
>
> That being said.....
>
> I really must wonder if any of these moaning and complaining people
> that play these games have the slightest clue as to what is going on??
>
> These games are VIRTUAL REALITIES. They are worlds unto themselves
> with individuals living virtual lives!!! It is not the damned content
> that keeps you interested in the game....... it's the THINGS THAT YOU
> FIND TO DO! You must find a PURPOSE in these worlds just like you have
> to find a purpose in REAL LIFE in order to have a reason for existing.
>
> In SWG my main character is a hunter seeking out resources for my
> secondary character a Crafter. I also try to help out the guild and my
> fellow guildmates in their quests for resources.
>
> It's all interlaced folks. If all you want to do is go blast and shoot
> em up then there are plenty of those kinds of games available... but
> NONE of them is going to satisfy you because you just don;t get it
> that without a REAL PURPOSE you really have nothing but a time passing
> activity. YOu emmerse yourself in these games.... don;t wait for the
> game to drag you in and cover you up cause it's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

Agree.

> Problem with SWG has always been lack of content.

SWG's main problem.

>You hit a point
> where more money becomes meaningless very quickly. Tradeskills them
> selves are not much fun, click here and here and stack this there.
> Pointless since you are bound not by you own creativity but by what
> the game allows you to do.

Unsure when it comes to tradeskills as I have only seen EQs, but isn't SWGs
tradskills system is the best so far?

> There is no REAL purpose in any game unless you are making RL money
> from it. The journey has to be fun and somehow thats been forgotten
> and not just by soe. Can you create a customised version of a armored
> land speeder that also has a laser cannon? A new fabric that allows
> better armor? Sorry but no you cant. Theres no way to turn a bad game
> into a good one.

The "journey" is the purpose. If somehow, magically, SOE added a ton of
content to SWG, that would turn a decent game into a great game. It's a
great engine, but it just feels incomplete.

Ringo wrote:
> [...]
> what the game is and isnt. A bad game leaves little for you to
> discover (low content ie swg) a good one provides more than you can
> possibly ever find (high content ie early eq). Beyond the social
> aspects which includes pvp, players are totaly reliant on the
> developers. For instance can you in swg create your own quest? Create
> your own faction? Nope these have to be provided.
>

>>In SWG my main character is a hunter seeking out resources for my
>>secondary character a Crafter. I also try to help out the guild and my
>>fellow guildmates in their quests for resources.
>>

> Problem with SWG has always been lack of content. You hit a point
> where more money becomes meaningless very quickly. Tradeskills them
> selves are not much fun, click here and here and stack this there.
> Pointless since you are bound not by you own creativity but by what

I would call it a "content-ing" problem. They have not been adding much
in the way of ordinary, mid-level content. While I do appreciate housing
and vehicles, the designers have not focused much on supporting the
day-to-day game style. They spent two months on Jedi, which I found
wasteful. I would rather they spent two months on creating a more
dynamic quest system. From January to August, they wasted an opportunity
to add life and depth to the system. Only in August, when they were
desperate, did they actually start fixing long-standing player balance
issues.

I've not played other mmorps, so I can't compare too much. Then again, I
don't want SWG to be just like other mmorphs. I like the limited skill
sets and the limited use for money, but dislike AP and the rediculous
price on some things.

CH

Shane

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:39:11 -0500, Ringo <Ringo@noon.com> wrote:

>The one reason EQ was such a killer game pre-soe is the guys doing it
>belived in what they were doing and did not have to contend with an
>excess of corp mentality. We may never see the like again.

Yes, actually Verant/989 (know for it's sports console games) which
was a subsidiary of Sony Games made EQ and Brad and the guys (avid D&D
players who wanted that experience on the computer) had pretty much a
free hand for two reasons;

1. corporate didn't believe MMOGs, post UO, could be profitable. I'm
sure Corporate's (always the shining example of "out on the box"
creativity) MBAs, using a bunch of business formulas they learned in
school, argued that the market for MMOG couldn't support more than one
MMOG. So nobody in corporate wanted anything to do with MMOG.

2. It was a single Sony executive who decided to take a chance and
backed the game. He pretty much left them alone, sat back, and
watched.He was an older executive, likely remembered the days of
"chance taking".

Any folks from the old days of EQ remember how the splash screens in
the beginning were Verant and 989. Once EQ was a smash hit Sony found
MMOG religion same as many death row convicts find Jesus; after the
fact.

It was then that they rolled Verant and 989 back into Sony proper.

I do have to agree with Skinner, I wonder how much "the bottom line"
drives dev design. I often wonder when I play SWG if there wasn't a
conference where some of the executives had a conversation along the
lines of the brand name "Star Wars" will sell SWG and quality of game
would be secondary concern as developing that is 99% of your budget
and running this aspect "mean and lean" will get you a higher profit
margin. Anybody who has work corporate before and has had the pleasure
of the man power/budget cut followed with the shortened deadline. I
can tell you I never walked away from that situation thinking to
myself, "Wow, that was my best work!" Instead I and other took short
cuts, spent less time dotting "I"s and crossing "T"s in order to
finish by the deadline. The irony was even though we were left wit
that feeling that our work was ok but lacking in quality; we were
informed corporate was happy with the work because in the end,it
preformed within the budget/profit model. It was after that "Catch 22"
moment I stopped asking question.

In some ways I fear for EQ2 and hope I am wrong. I can only hope Sony
was hurt by their "short cuts" financially to the point they must
accept that quality is a fixed commodity and not sacrificial for
profit margins. On the bright side; there is always an out called
World of Warcraft if they fall short for a second time.

I played EQ for 5 years and found only in the last year that the new
material was becoming "same as before" and nothing of a "Lost Dungeons
of Nor.." quality and innovation. Most of my guildmates who had been
with me for four years played less and less till we started to quit
one by one. I came to SWG because I have friends there and I have been
playing for 3 months and I must confess, I like some of the class,
crafting, character abilities, but the game itself falls into a
"lather, rinse, lather again" feeling. It took 5 years for me to fall
into that rut in EQ. In the three months I have been in the game; my
friends tell me guildies are fading and I should have been in the
guild cantina on most eves in the past when it was filled with 30
people. Now if four are in there at once we are lucky. I find it much
easier to not login to SWG than through most of my EQ time. There is
something about this game that there is something there which could be
good, but it hasn't been realized yet, if ever...

I am beginning to smell the beginning of that same, "it's done",
stench in my friends guild that I felt at the end of EQ. JTL will do
nothing to draw people back for the long haul, it will be a novelty
that will lead to the same burn out for those people who said they
were waiting for it to rejuvenate their interest in the game.

Just my 2 credits worth...

Shane wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:39:11 -0500, Ringo <Ringo@noon.com> wrote:
>

>>The one reason EQ was such a killer game pre-soe is the guys doing it
>>belived in what they were doing and did not have to contend with an
>>excess of corp mentality. We may never see the like again.
>

> Yes, actually Verant/989 (know for it's sports console games) which
> was a subsidiary of Sony Games made EQ and Brad and the guys (avid D&D
> players who wanted that experience on the computer) had pretty much a
> free hand for two reasons;
>
> 1. corporate didn't believe MMOGs, post UO, could be profitable. I'm
> sure Corporate's (always the shining example of "out on the box"
> creativity) MBAs, using a bunch of business formulas they learned in
> school, argued that the market for MMOG couldn't support more than one
> MMOG. So nobody in corporate wanted anything to do with MMOG.
>
> 2. It was a single Sony executive who decided to take a chance and
> backed the game. He pretty much left them alone, sat back, and
> watched.He was an older executive, likely remembered the days of
> "chance taking".
>
> Any folks from the old days of EQ remember how the splash screens in
> the beginning were Verant and 989. Once EQ was a smash hit Sony found
> MMOG religion same as many death row convicts find Jesus; after the
> fact.
>
> It was then that they rolled Verant and 989 back into Sony proper.
>
> I do have to agree with Skinner, I wonder how much "the bottom line"
> drives dev design. I often wonder when I play SWG if there wasn't a
> conference where some of the executives had a conversation along the
> lines of the brand name "Star Wars" will sell SWG and quality of game
> would be secondary concern as developing that is 99% of your budget
> and running this aspect "mean and lean" will get you a higher profit
> margin. Anybody who has work corporate before and has had the pleasure
> of the man power/budget cut followed with the shortened deadline. I
> can tell you I never walked away from that situation thinking to
> myself, "Wow, that was my best work!" Instead I and other took short
> cuts, spent less time dotting "I"s and crossing "T"s in order to
> finish by the deadline. The irony was even though we were left wit
> that feeling that our work was ok but lacking in quality; we were
> informed corporate was happy with the work because in the end,it
> preformed within the budget/profit model. It was after that "Catch 22"
> moment I stopped asking question.
>
> In some ways I fear for EQ2 and hope I am wrong. I can only hope Sony
> was hurt by their "short cuts" financially to the point they must
> accept that quality is a fixed commodity and not sacrificial for
> profit margins. On the bright side; there is always an out called
> World of Warcraft if they fall short for a second time.

Botttom line is a big thing. SWG cost a huge amount of money at the same
time that other projects were calling it quits. This made the backers
quite jittery. The game itself proved more difficult to code than anyone
thought, and the project was already over time and budget. This is an
easy guess, as this is a normal scenario.

I see the same thing for JtL. It's coming out for Chrismas. They have a
good back-end written, but they didn't think much about HOW it would be
played, or what would keep interest going in it. I think that there are
many great ideas here, but they aren't challenging themselves to take
the game into the next level. In the end, they will release this
expansion, then do a revamp in six months to fix the continues balance
problems.

CH

This rumor is a hoax IMO. All the posts I have seen so far have just been
idle talk with no proof whatsoever. "I have a friend who know a guy who
says..." doesn't prove anything. In all likelihood all the different
websites that have been reporting on this are talking to the same guy, or
someone who talked to him, and who just happens to be one very disgruntled
former SWG player trying to make trouble. Rumors are like that. The only
thing that comes close to proof is the Lucasarts want ad for a new director,
but they always have their own staff involved with the games so this doesn't
prove anything either, it's nothing more than a personnel change. Look at
the credits for SWG or any other Star Wars game and you will see that
Lucasarts always hires a developer to do the hard work but always has their
own production staff involved too. That's how they maintain creative
control, and that is their normal business model. Nothing to see here.

OTOH I can't *disprove* the rumor either... ;o)

"Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
>
> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

NIB

The part that kinda screams "rumor" is the definitive statement I keep
seeing relating to the time frame. Statements like "the day after jtl
goes live, lucas arts is taking over SWG" just screams rumor. Any
company worth their salt would NOT take over development of something
like this the freaking day after a major product release. And, like you
alluded to, I've only seen a single reference to anyone actually
"knowing" anything and that was second hand. If I recall, the first
mention of this I read about a few weeks ago basically said that "a
friend of mine that is very close to star wars <something> said..." I
can't recall what "star wars" connection he had but it most certainly
wasn't "lucas arts". It was some sort of star wars comic or something of
that nature. So, even if his "friend" with the "close" sources did "hear
something", it could have easily been idle speculation by some peon at
the water cooler.

Frankly, I'm not going to worry about it, period.

nib

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:05:53 -0400, Clawhound <none@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>I see the same thing for JtL. It's coming out for Chrismas. They have a
>good back-end written, but they didn't think much about HOW it would be
>played, or what would keep interest going in it. I think that there are
>many great ideas here, but they aren't challenging themselves to take
>the game into the next level. In the end, they will release this
>expansion, then do a revamp in six months to fix the continues balance
>problems.

I agree, they have some great ideas in this game. I don't want to seem
as if I am just bashing it in general, there are parts of it I hope to
see influence EQ2's character and skill design. Perhaps after the
combat revamp they can begin to figure out how to improve the
"universe" and storyline in general.

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003

I played the game for a year. Initially, I thought it was one of the best
games ever, but over time it didn't take long for it to become boring,
repetitious and just a game of click-click.
The game also gives MUCH GREATER advantages to powergamers and to those
having MULTIPLE accounts over the casual player or single account player.
The game doesn't require much skill and it's not really how good you are and
adding a new method for being a Jedi or JTL won't change it. Instructions
......just keep on clicking.
Anybody who's played for awhile knows once you made millions and clicked
away at a number of professions knows how repetative the game becomes and
the only other remaining thing is to change professions again, take on
Guilds or Players cities for more content. Just how many times does one want
to craft, make money or change professions by clicking away? Just how many
times can you go to Squill Cave, Imp Research Facility, DWB, GeoCave or the
Jedi Village.

Yes, it lacks content terribly and I shouldn't have to pay to create my own
content. Users have complained since its' release and they're even complaing
about JTL. I would say, it's a sinking ship.

Shuttle is here now; gotta go.
Bye

"Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
>
> http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:58:11 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
>
>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

Some people think it's a rumor, but look at the LucasArts site under
their job postings...hehe. Seems like there might be more truth to the
rumor than people first thought.

dak wrote:

> I played the game for a year. Initially, I thought it was one of the best
> games ever, but over time it didn't take long for it to become boring,
> repetitious and just a game of click-click.
> The game also gives MUCH GREATER advantages to powergamers and to those
> having MULTIPLE accounts over the casual player or single account player.
> The game doesn't require much skill and it's not really how good you are and
> adding a new method for being a Jedi or JTL won't change it. Instructions
> .....just keep on clicking.
> Anybody who's played for awhile knows once you made millions and clicked
> away at a number of professions knows how repetative the game becomes and
> the only other remaining thing is to change professions again, take on
> Guilds or Players cities for more content. Just how many times does one want
> to craft, make money or change professions by clicking away? Just how many
> times can you go to Squill Cave, Imp Research Facility, DWB, GeoCave or the
> Jedi Village.
>
> Yes, it lacks content terribly and I shouldn't have to pay to create my own
> content. Users have complained since its' release and they're even complaing
> about JTL. I would say, it's a sinking ship.
>
> Shuttle is here now; gotta go.
> Bye
>
> "Shane" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>Don't know if this was covered already but here we go...
>>
>>http://games.slashdot.org/games/04/10/10/187257.shtml?tid=127&tid=10

In the end, all games are grinds. I don't know a game where you can't
make the complain "it's a grind." If you focus on a grind, you get a
grind. If you call it "The Sims", then folks will do it endlessly.

I was playing Morrowind for a while, and really like it. When I cam back
to SWG, I found things in SWG that I really liked.

If there is a problem in Star Wars, its that the players don't have a
way to see the team scores, nor do they get to know when they have a
victory. If the GCW had a better scorecard and rewards for meeting
faction challenges, then actions would have meaning.

CH

Shane

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:03:13 -0400, Clawhound <none@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>In the end, all games are grinds. I don't know a game where you can't
>make the complain "it's a grind." If you focus on a grind, you get a
>grind. If you call it "The Sims", then folks will do it endlessly.
>
>I was playing Morrowind for a while, and really like it. When I cam back
>to SWG, I found things in SWG that I really liked.
>
>If there is a problem in Star Wars, its that the players don't have a
>way to see the team scores, nor do they get to know when they have a
>victory. If the GCW had a better scorecard and rewards for meeting
>faction challenges, then actions would have meaning.

True and true,

So you agree than that content is SWG problem, because in the end,if
the world is more or less the same as the day it went live; why not
just play a "morrowind" with multi-player or NeverWinter Nights.
Rather then team scores, how about the impact of IMP bases versus Reb
bases redefining the IMP or Reb presence on the planet. How about this
causing random event of IMPs or Rebs landing strike teams (I know they
can do this as it happened while I was farming animals).

Yes all MMOG are grinds, trouble is poor content makes the grind more
obvious. Seriously, other than the costumed NPCs, do you really feel
immersed in the Star Wars galaxy? I feel like I am stuck in a "Ground
Hog Day" snap shot of a Star Wars galaxy. Only thing players can
really judge progress on is whether your base is up or down and
babysitting a base day in and day out is one more repetitive grind and
your reward is...

TRENDING THREADS