[Fwd: Re: Instructions for Repair Installation]

Harry and Mike:

I have copied and printed your excellent instructions.
And after a two weeks' health interlude I am back and
have just two unanswered questions:

After doing the Repair Installation properly, and after
re-installing SP2 from my Microsoft-furnished CD, should
I have a fully operating, bootable OS except for Windows
Updates since SP2 release, and

Should I have a system essentially the same as it was
before performing the Repair Install, i.e., with all of my
Desktop icons still operating, and with my Startup list
as before?

Thank you.

Bill Lurie

Harry Ohrn wrote:

Bill Mike did get things a bit out of order. You have to press F8 to accept
the license agreement and the next screen should give you the option to
Repair. At that point you press 'r' and the install begins. The screen looks
exactly like this http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/02_repair.jpg (of
course if your version is Windows XP Home then that will be displayed at the
top of the screen and not Windows XP Professional)

However if you see this screen
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/02_repair2.jpg then you have either
pressed Esc, gone too far in the setup process or you can't do a repair
install for some reason.

Here are the correct steps
1) Boot with the XP CD
2) Press any key to boot the cd
3) Select the option "To setup Windows XP now press Enter"
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/01_welcome_setup.jpg
4) Accept the End User License Agreement press F8
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/02_eula.jpg
5) Press R to repair as seen here
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/02_repair.jpg
6) Setup will continue, you will not be asked where to install or to
partition or format. You will be prompted for your Product Key and a few
other settings a long the way. When finished you will need to reinstall
Critical Updates

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Answer to both questions Bill are 'yes@

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

John Barnett MVP wrote:
> Answer to both questions Bill are 'yes@

Right. The answers to both are indeed *yes*.
In performing it properly, however, I did find a
few anxious moments, where I had to improvise.

For one, be careful not to 'Boot from CD' a second
time, when it reboots itself, or you'll be starting all
over again.

It wanted Office 2000 software at one point, and I
don't have any, so I just clicked 'cancel' and it went one.

It found two 'corrupted xxxx/system 32' files along the
way, and again, I had no choice but to proceed.

It found that some of my software had not passed the
Windows Logo test, and would not be installed. I
assume this means some of my retained programs may
not have made it, and I'll find that out when I try to run them.

But all in all, Mike and Harry and John and Bruce, you're
right......if you're careful, and follow the specific instructions,
the Repair Installation does succeed in making bootable an
OS whose front door has been damaged. Thank you all.

Bill

William B. Lurie

billurie@nospam.org wrote:
> John Barnett MVP wrote:
>
>> Answer to both questions Bill are 'yes@
>>
> Right. The answers to both are indeed *yes*.
> In performing it properly, however, I did find a
> few anxious moments, where I had to improvise.
>
> For one, be careful not to 'Boot from CD' a second
> time, when it reboots itself, or you'll be starting all
> over again.
>
> It wanted Office 2000 software at one point, and I
> don't have any, so I just clicked 'cancel' and it went on.
>
> It found two 'corrupted xxxx/system 32' files along the
> way, and again, I had no choice but to proceed.
>
> It found that some of my software had not passed the
> Windows Logo test, and would not be installed. I
> assume this means some of my retained programs may
> not have made it, and I'll find that out when I try to run them.
>
> But all in all, Mike and Harry and John and Bruce, you're
> right......if you're careful, and follow the specific instructions,
> the Repair Installation does succeed in making bootable an
> OS whose front door has been damaged. Thank you all.
>
> Bill

Sorry for losing the thread. And for hitting Send an extra time
in previous poosting. I hope this correction in the Subject
puts it in the correct thread.
Bill