Sign in with
Your question

Data from xp to win 7

Last response: in Storage
January 31, 2010 1:30:23 AM

I have a lot of data developed under winxp. can I move it to a window 7 system

More about : data win

January 31, 2010 2:37:26 AM

I have been to a number of Win7 Rollout sessions sponsored by the local Microsoft Office. Generally, what I hear is backup, restore data fresh. Do not Migrate. I have been running Win7 and found for my migration, a sep partition with a backup was the best bet. Allowed fresh install. Reimport Bookmarks, mailboxes, etc after the fact.
January 31, 2010 5:56:27 AM

It is possible to move it to a 7 OS. But it might be somewhat of a hassle. You cannot simply upgrade from XP to 7. You have to do a clean installation. A solution would be what JNRII suggested. Another solution would be to move any files you care about on to another HD or DVD(s) and then do a fresh installation and then copy the files back onto the HD, but that I know is time consuming and complicated. There are a couple of ways, but all in all,, yes you can move the data from one installation to the other.
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 31, 2010 8:39:45 AM

Just the data? windows 7 can handle it but software that can only be run under XP thats another story.
a b G Storage
January 31, 2010 12:42:14 PM

When you install Win 7 it keeps everything from the previous Windows installation (assuming you have enough space on your hard drive) in a folder called Windows.old.

From there you can drag your data into the new folders - they have different names and locations now.

As always make a backup before you install just in case something doesnt go right for you...

dEAne is correct. You will have to reinstall applications. Go to Control Panel and take a screen shot of installed applications and print it out so you have some idea of what you have.
!