Sign in with
Your question

My Secondary Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
January 31, 2010 6:09:59 AM

My brother's secondary hard drive (segate 7200.12) isn't being read by Windows.
He didn't get a box with it or anything, just in anti-static plastic.

SeaTools is bringing it up, however.

Does anyone have any ideas?
If you need more information, just ask.

More about : secondary hard drive

a b G Storage
January 31, 2010 7:16:03 AM

Is it recognised by the BIOS?
Has He Partitioned and formatted it?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 31, 2010 7:31:17 AM

Make sure it is connected well. In windows press Start button then right click on Computer (My Computer in XP) click on Manage. On the left side Click on Disk Management - You should see the HD - it is here were you can partitioned or format the drive.
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 7:32:21 AM

MrLinux said:
Is it recognised by the BIOS?
Has He Partitioned and formatted it?

He says that he can't get into his BIOS; he's tried F12 & it doesn't say anything about getting into the BIOS.
He says he hasn't formatted & he doesn't know what Partitioned is, so he probably hasn't. I'm going to the computer shop he got it from tomorrow afternoon (GMT+10) so I'll ask the person there if that drive has already be formatted & what to do about not having any software. He was also the same person who put the primary drive in his computer, which is also the same hard disk, so he SHOULD know.

Thanks for your speedy reply :) 

Quote:
Make sure it is connected well. In windows press Start button then right click on Computer (My Computer in XP) click on Manage. On the left side Click on Disk Management
- You should see the HD - it is here were you can partitioned or format the drive.

Ah, sorry, I didn't see your reply!
He's at Disk Management, he's asking what to do now?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 31, 2010 9:22:28 AM

Look at the drive, make sure there is a partition on it. (there should be a drive letter assigned) I'd be willing to bet the drive is blank and simply needs to be partitioned/formatted.
m
l
a c 168 G Storage
January 31, 2010 12:34:29 PM

If seatools can see it, the bios can see it.

Some motherboards use the delete key to get into bios, and some might use f2. Check the motherboard documentation. You usually can download it online.
You may need to access the bios to set boot priorities or other things.

As 474545b said, a drive needs to be quick formatted for windows to use it. You can set all or part of it ad a partition. That needs to be done also.
m
l
!