modfather

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Hi Folks,

I'm desperately hoping that someone can help me:

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S2386 laptop, running Vista, that has been working great (slow, but great). It's really only primarily used for web surfing, and with iTunes (it's my daughter's). Here's what's happening:

Last Friday night, I was shocked to find out that this laptop only came with 512 MB RAM. :eek: I popped out the RAM, saw that it was only 512MB, and decided to buy some new. This seems to be when the troubles started, but could be a coincidence? I put the RAM back in.

Either later that night, or the next morning, my daughter told me that her iPod wasn't being recognized when she plugged it in. The error says "USB device is not recognized". When I go to the computer management and look at the USB devices, they all report "unknown device".

Whenever I plug in the iPod, now, I get the same error message. I do get the "sound" that I've plugged in the iPod, but my taskbar pops up a window saying: "USB device not recognized..." (sorry, I don't have the complete message in front of me).

I tried another iPod in this laptop - same problem. I tried both iPods on my new desktop - both worked perfect. I tried a usb flash drive in the laptop, it WORKS! :) I tried the iPods again, same problem. :(

Finally, in desperation, I reinstalled the OS, iTunes. Same problem. :( Last resort: I called Toshiba this morning. Their suggestion was to make sure I have the latest BIOS (I do, I just sent it into them for a known problem that this BIOS upgrade was to fix, a couple of months ago) - oh, and they suggested downloading their latest dvd-rom firmware upgrade.

I have a devastated 14 year old who would bake a dozen cookies for whoever can help me. :D

Thanks so much in advance. I'm hoping I've provided enough information. I'm not sure what forum I should post this on, so sorry if it's the wrong one.

Thanks!
Steve

Unplug the system from the wall for a few minutes. With a notebook, maybe remove the battery and let the system discharge completely. I would also go in to BIOS and 'default' the BIOS.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/usb-device-not-recognized/

modfather

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
badge,

Thanks, but I tried that too. :( I should have mentioned that. I also took out the battery. I'd try it again, though. I'll make sure to unplug it, take out the battery for a half-hour or so, and try it again. I did hear that I could possibly remove the cmos battery, and put it back in, but from another post I read, I don't know if it's easily accessible with Toshiba Satellites. :(

Well, I would put back the 512 that came with the system for now and default the BIOS if you have not already. If that doesn't work I would reinstall the system drivers. Those should be available on the Product Page at Toshiba website. Specifically the Chipset drivers.

modfather

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Thanks again! As far as the 512 goes, we had the problem before, and after, do I don't think it's the new 2gb stick. I haven't tried to default the BIOS, so I will try that. As far as system drivers go, I haven't been able to find them on Toshiba's website. Here's a URL, (will take you to their actual site, then go to Downloads tab): http://tinyurl.com/6dxhof I just don't see what I should be downloading, but I am a bit ignorant. ;)

I would go in to BIOS and default, save and exit. Also, after you installed Vista OS, did you run the system CD and install the drivers for the MB? Maybe that is all on a recovery CD, I'm not familiar with your notebook.

For one thing, I don't think your notebook will take a 2GB DIMM. Maybe 2 x 1 GB to total 2 GB maximum supported by your chipset.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=1700049&rpn=PSAD6U&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663&selModel=1700049%7CPSAD6U#

modfather

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Hmmm, it seemed to take the 2GB okay. It shows 2GB in Vista.... Would you expect that I'd either see some sort of error or other problems if what you're saying is right? Actually, I have the 2GB in one slot, and the 512 in the other - no errors or problems, other than this, as far as I can see.

As far as that link goes, yeah, I don't see what I should be installing, if anything...

Thanks!

The link to your system specs states 2 GB maximum supported. I think each slot takes up to 1 GB for a maximum system memory supported by your chipset of 2 GB system RAM. I would install the 512 ONLY and go in to BIOS and default the system I/O to your hardware (RAM).