Solved

Three 2x2GB vs Two 3x2GB for X58

If I am trying to get 12GB of memory for X58, does it matter which one I get?

Three 2x2GB Dual Channel Kits
or
Two 3x2GB Triple Channel Kits

Does it make a difference?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about three 2x2gb 3x2gb
  1. If all the specs are the same, it shouldn't matter at all. Which kits are you looking at?
  2. yeah if the specs are same , just go for the lower total cost , if at any there is a difference .
  3. Best answer
    the differences are minor, BUT, they do usually say that the triple channel kits are tested together and stable. i don't think it should make a difference, and i'd personally go with whichever is cheaper, but it's something to keep in mind.
  4. No difference. As long as they're the same ratings (voltage, frequency, and CAS).

Edit 1: "matched" sets might overclock better, depends on how the company did the "matching", you can only overclock to the point of the slowest DIMM in the set.
    Edit 2: and you are usually better off using 3 DIMMs not 6. If you need 12Gb of RAM go with a 3x4Gb kit.
  5. No^^^ lol 3x4Gb is waaaaaaaaayyyyy to expensive and does not justify the performance that you get as opposed to using all 6 slots. You do the math....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104127

just get 2 sets of 3x2Gb and save yourself a headache or possible suicide......
  6. 1299? Holy s**t
    Yeah I'd just keep it to 3x2Gb then.

Why did you want 12Gb for?
  7. rams dont run at rated triple channel speeds when you have all 6 slots filled.
    does anybody know about how much slower?
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Overclocking Product