Your question

Combining SATA & IDE Hard Drives

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • SATA
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 31, 2010 11:52:29 AM

I have a desktop PC running Windows XP booting up from a Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA Hard drive. I have two spare hard drives which I would like to install for additional data storage via two spare bays and unused IDE connections. I know my SATA drive doesn't require a jumper but will jumpers be necessary on the two IDE connected drives and if so to what setting?

More about : combining sata ide hard drives

a c 127 G Storage
January 31, 2010 2:57:17 PM

Drive 1: master
Drive 2: slave

a b G Storage
February 1, 2010 12:32:51 PM

Alternately, you can set both to Cable-Select.
a c 367 G Storage
February 1, 2010 6:14:00 PM

You have "unused IDE connections" (plural). I'm assuming that means your mobo had TWO IDE port connectors. Remember that, unlike SATA, one IDE port supports TWO devices sharing that port and its ribbon cable (as long as the cable has 3 connectors in it). So you normally connect them that way and that is when you MUST use jumpers to uniquely identify them: one MUST be Master (prefer on the end of the cable), the other MUST be Slave. IF you opt instead to use two ports and two cables and place only ONE unit on each, then BOTH of them will have to be the Masters of their respective ports.

If you use the Cable Select setting of jumpers, you make a HDD unit the Master of the port by connecting it to the END connector of the ribbon cable.

Don't forget to check in BIOS Setup to be sure your IDE ports are enabled and set to auto-detect.
!