9600GT problem

joshua1905

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Hi guys. I bought an Nvidia 9600GT today and tried to install it. When I put it into the PCIe slot the left side of the card wouldent go in properly (I think anyway). I started the computer up, loaded fine, installed the drivers and it prompted me to restart the PC so I did. When Windows XP started an xpertvision window come up and it says 'Please reinstall/update the driver and driver program' so I did and I am still getting the same error everytime I restart my PC. I also get this when I restart my PC or try to install the driver:
errorco9.png

I have two PCIe slots and it fits perfectly into the second one but when I start the PC I don't get anything on the monitor. I hope you could help me with this as its annoying me lol

Cheers, Josh.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I ask because of this comment,
When I put it into the PCIe slot the left side of the card wouldent go in properly (I think anyway).

IF that is the case, I have a simple solution.....one Ive had to use my self an occasion or two.

joshua1905

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

Well I think it is, I am writing this to you with the card in so I imagine it is in correctly?

joshua1905

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

Whats that?

Cheers by the way.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I had an ATI 9800Pro that would not boot when i first installed it.....i couldn't figure out why. I even thought it was bad....turns out the left side didnt go all the way into the AGP slot.....

So what I did was loosen the motherboard screws enough to let the mobo move a little...till it went all the way in. then tightened them up again, not fully, because the first try popped it back out...so i left it slightly loose but not enough for the board to move. In my case it was an issue with the Card and my case and my mobo, because my previous card worked fine.

Regardless, I had to make the adjustment i mentioned and had no further issues with it.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I have had issues with network cards that had short backplates...they weren't low profile or anything just off by a couple of mm, they worked but the Connection to the internet was unreliable......I never noticed those couple of mm, till like i said after multiple connection issues...in that case they showed up in device manager and everything and worked but not properly, I ended up having to bend the plate a bit.....and leave it unsecured(since the Computer didn't move any it wasn't much of an issue)

I doubt your backplate is short, that was merely an example of something not plugged in all the way, but still semi working.

joshua1905

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

I just tried this and it has messed up my LAN so I am typing this on my laptop. As you can guess that didn't work just caused more problems, It didn't go in any further.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
is your LAN via an add in card or is it onboard?

If its an add in card, then just pull your cards from PCI and PCI-E tighten the screws all the way(motherboard screws), and put the cards back in, That should fix the LAN assuming its an add in. (assuming it may have become unseated by allowing for some small mobo movement)

If its onboard, check the cables.(unplug-replug).

I hate to sound condescending but you did do all of this with the power off right? More than likely you did, but there are people out there that aren't smart enough to realize that on their own.....so its a just in case comment.