Is my on board sound busted?

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Helloooo

Its been ages since I last posted here...and as a result I've pretty much lost track of all things new and good in terms of PC components.

Issue:
My on board sound seems to be busted. Basically I can only hear from the right side of the headphone (I always use headphones as this PC is mainly used for gaming). If I just slightly take out the jack half way then I can hear from both sides so I know my headphone works (but then this way I'm only using one channel...aka the right side if being played through both the right and left side of the headset if that makes sense).

Tested my headphone out on my laptop and it works just fine, so I'm pretty sure its my mobo. What's weirder yet is if I fiddle around with the plug at the back i can get the sound to come out just from the left side or just from the right side...but not from both together unless its just using the one channel through both speakers.

Question 1:
Has anyone had a similar issue and knows of methods of solving it?

Question 2:
What would you guys recommend as a relatively cheap (about £25 +- £10) sound card for general use (don't really care about crazy sound quality. Just wanna be able to watch movies and play games with good enough quality and specially without issues)

UK sites would be appreciated.

Extra info if you need regarding mobo: Its a Asrock 775dual vsta and uses the realtek hd audio codecs and drivers all of which are up to date.

Cheers in advance! :D

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
@Shadow: thank you very much, that was what i was also looking at :). will probably get that one if I cant get this sorted out.

@ Loftie: Not that I know of. I'v basically gone through everything I could have thought of to try and fix it. On a side note..how do you turn off one side of the headphone?...you know..just in case somehow i did manage to do it without knowing.

loftie

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
I'm just thinking on my pc, I have NVMixer, since I have an old nforce 4 motherboard, and that gives my the option to turn the volume up or down on individual channels, or mute them. So was just wondering if you had something similar

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
yeah I did try others as well as trying out the current headphone on a different system. same results with different headphones + current headphone works fine on my laptop.

Any way, thanx for the input folks. I managed to snag a x-fi xtreme audio version for £24 delivered, so it should be a good upgrade from my current onboard anyway.