New Build Start up problems

rexxor

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
G day All :)

I have a problem with my fist new build, I ll try to explain the problem as best I can.

first off here are my parts.

1 CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
1 HIS Hightech H487X2F2GP Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
1 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
1 LG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech Black SATA Model GH20NS15 - OEM
1 GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
1 mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996587 - Retail
1 Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
1 XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
1 XIGMATEK ACK-I7751 Retention Bracket - Retail

Symtomms:

I assembled the parts and prayed. ( clearly I did not pray hard enough to the cpu God)

The first time I powered up the rig everything seemed to come on for a sec then died, reminded me of something getting shorted, but nothing I could see or smell damaged.
Te mobo is mounted on brass metal standoffs.

Now everytime I turn on the unit:

The case fans power up.
The PSU fan works and is supplying power.
the GPU fan powers up, fan is quite high and going full blast.
the GPU has 5 onboard leds, looking down on the leds 3 are glowing solid red on the right.
The CPU fan did nothing untill I replaced it with the stock fan.
The CPU fan comes on for a sec then stops, when unit is powered off the CPU fan will turn for a sec then stop.
I turn on the unit by using the case power button, I turn off the rig by holding down the case power button for 5 sec.
I have a pair of speakers pluged into the green port on the mobo, I hear no beeps at all( my other comp will beep once when it powers up).
The mobo has phase led ( the higher the cpu load the more leds are on) all phase leds are on.
I have no signal going to my display, its a black screen,( no onboard vid ).

What I have done wrong:

I have a AC'97/HD AUDIO connector that I missconnected to the mobo speaker pins ( mobo speaker pins are for a case speaker I belive).
Case hase no internal speaker.
Its possable that the mobo speaker pins where shorted together, but then I think that may be unlikely.
no external parts where connected to the HD AUDIO part.

What I have tryed :

I haVe removed the xigatek cooler and placed the stock cooler on.
I have moved the ram around, single sticks and both sticks of ram.
I have tryed a CMOS reset.
I have tryed both vid out ports from the GPU.
I have moved the gpu to a sec slot.

At the moment I suspect a cpu or mobo problem, mayby PSU had a spike for being turned on first time, but really I dont know.
Anything I can do besides swap parts ?

50crckt51

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Are your DIMM's properly and fully seated in the sockets? You may also want to check the Manufacturers websites for compatability issues. You also should check the CPU for any bent pins, did it install easily?

rexxor

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
put the sata data cable into the sata port labeled with the lowest number look in the motherboard manual to make sure which port is MASTER ther is only 1 MASTER port on the motherboard... which makes you boot if you have it set to SLAVE you can not boot your computer and make sure on the power cable thats going into the hard drive to use the SATA POWER CABLE THAT IS CLOSEST TO THE PSU meaning furthest from the last bottom

Well it was both the power connention to the cpu and the data/power master to the hdd.

I feel much better, :)

Current problem solved, moving on into bios setup now :)