New computer build, OS/installation problems

almost1148

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
Hey, I just got done building a second computer and now having multiple problems with it.
First I can't get an OS to load on it, every time I boot it up with an OS disk it reads out the same Gd forsaken message "Please insert system disk and press enter". So if anyone has encountered a similar problem please feel free to let me know.

Might as well throw out system specs (don't laugh it's only a backup computer)
AMD X2 4600+
PNY Verto 9600GT
WDC 160GB HDD
4GB patriot RAM (4-4-4-12)
Biostar NF520-A2 SE
Antec 400-Watt

indigoataxia

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
Maybe your disk for some reason isn't bootable. Does it say "Press any key to boot from disk" before you get the error? Even if set to boot from cd/dvd you have to press a key to make it do so. If not then either your disk isnt bootable or there is a problem with your optical drive.

almost1148

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
hmmmm
I think its the optical drive then.
I know the disk is goo and when I hit enter it just reads the error message again

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Maybe your mobo supports booting off of a USB drive and you could copy the install CD files to a USB drive (you can get a 4GB USB drive cheap these days)

but I agree it probably is the CD drive too.

Hmm not trying to boot DVD media in a CD drive are you ?

Edit: Just saying that because some of those parts are older and thought maybe you had a good CD burner laying around (I still have a 48X sony drive around here somewhere...)
and I know Vista comes on a DVD :)
If its a DVD drive ignore my rambling post lol

Edit 2: Some Linux versions come on a DVD too (my favorite so far is the DVD version of Mandriva)

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Shadow has a good idea :)

Anyway yeah having that around is a great tool for fixing issues like these.

hmmm I have an old 256MB drive here doing nothing I may give it a try on that... lol

BeardedTuna

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Seem to remember having a vaguely similar message with incorrect slave/master jumper settings on a couple of IDE drives a couple of years back.