steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I've tested the following upon two Windows XP machines running SP2 + latest
patches and each exhibit the same problem:

1. Create a shortcut to a folder upon your desktop
2. Select it, and open up the Properties menu for the yellow folder icon
(we're going to try and change the icon picture)
3. Select Change Icon..
4. Choose the 9th Icon along the bottom (scroll to the left then count 9
along) ... it should be the looking like a folder with tools within it (a
blue handled hammer and a red handled socket spanner ?).
5. Choose OK - the correct icon should be shown within the properties window
alongside teh name of the folder
6. Hit Apply
7. The desktop icon show is the one from the row above the one you
selected - namely a blue bordered white square box with a tick within it and
a pencil alongside....

Is this just a problem isolated to the two machines I've got ... or ... a
bug

yep, same here. all the other icons around it will show correctly.

it must be one of those loveable undocumented features :)

Steve wrote:
> I've tested the following upon two Windows XP machines running SP2 +
> latest patches and each exhibit the same problem:
>
> 1. Create a shortcut to a folder upon your desktop
> 2. Select it, and open up the Properties menu for the yellow folder
> icon (we're going to try and change the icon picture)
> 3. Select Change Icon..
> 4. Choose the 9th Icon along the bottom (scroll to the left then
> count 9 along) ... it should be the looking like a folder with tools
> within it (a blue handled hammer and a red handled socket spanner ?).
> 5. Choose OK - the correct icon should be shown within the properties
> window alongside teh name of the folder
> 6. Hit Apply
> 7. The desktop icon show is the one from the row above the one you
> selected - namely a blue bordered white square box with a tick within
> it and a pencil alongside....
>
> Is this just a problem isolated to the two machines I've got ... or
> ... a bug

I followed your steps and got the same results here. Definitely a bug.

As a workaround, you can use one of the free icon extractor utilities (Google) to make a copy of that icon and place it in a permanent folder. Use the Change Icon procedure and specify the copy of the icon you saved.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/