Sign in with
Your question

Running Video remotely

Last response: in Windows XP
January 30, 2011 12:39:18 AM

I have a PC with a aftermarket video card that I am setting up to run as a home theater PC. I have the following
5.1 surround sound card
5.1 surround speaker set
Nvidia card with s-video out and 2x VGA out.
DVD Player (blue ray player possible in the future)

For now i want to run the svideo to our current TV. Next month we will be able to afford our Epson Projector that we have been saving to get and will switch over to it.

Now the problem im having is I want to be able to start movies on my home theater pc with my Gaming Desktop or my wife's laptop. Ideally I was hoping to find something that we could use something similar to Remote Desktop to start the movie and then disconnect. The problem with it of course is it logs the user out so when we disconnect the tv is just going to show the login page.

I'm looking into different solutions so that i dont have to invest in a keyboard/mouse for my home theater pc.

Some solution areas i'm looking into are..

1. Software version of Remote PC that will not Log the user out of the PC so when i disconnect the user stays logged in and the movie i started keeps on playing.
2. A wireless version of a KVM switch that i could attach to my gaming desktop? (run one vga to the kvm switch and the other to the projector using a cloneing setup so when i KVM over to my gaming pc the server still has the projector running the current desktop.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just looking for a away to control it remotely so that i can use my Desktop or my wife's laptop to link over and start a movie and disconnect and leave it playing on the home theater.

Thanks!

More about : running video remotely

January 30, 2011 12:46:37 AM

try UltraVNC

install whole software on the HTPC and Viewer only on other computer. You will have to open the port 5800 and 5900 on the HTPC to be able to connect.
January 31, 2011 2:07:45 PM

Ok, i have VNC a try (we use this at work sometimes) and it didn't do too bad. Was some serious lag when starting videos, but that is prob due to VNC Veiwer. I think this will work until i find something better.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Related resources
January 31, 2011 4:49:56 PM

UltraVNC will work on XP, Vista, and 7. It even supports file transfer and is FREE.

RealVNC is ONLY free for XP and has no file transfer.
February 3, 2011 2:49:01 PM

I think I am using Ultra for the moment. Thats another issue i failed to mention.

I run windows 7 Business , my wife runs vista Prem (prob 7 soon with a new laptop) and the home theater is on a Windows XP pro
February 3, 2011 5:05:39 PM

c911darkwolf said:
Ideally I was hoping to find something that we could use something similar to Remote Desktop to start the movie and then disconnect. The problem with it of course is it logs the user out so when we disconnect the tv is just going to show the login page.

You don't need to log out of remote desktop. You can close remote desktop and still leave the session running and reconnect to that session later.

Other than that, like others have stated, use VNC.
February 10, 2011 2:36:35 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
You don't need to log out of remote desktop. You can close remote desktop and still leave the session running and reconnect to that session later.

Other than that, like others have stated, use VNC.

I had considered that in the past, but I was worried that maintaining that Remote Desktop connection while playing a movie would lag both machines. i'll test it tonight though. VNC works pretty good, but it slows to a crawl when i start playing a movie on the other screen.
!