The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I know this is the wrong place, but I also know that no one will answer me in the right place.

I just bought a 4870 X2 and got tired of my 20" LCD. I bought a Refurb BenQ G2400W monitor for $300 off BenQ's store. I set it up, it did not come with a DVI cable like all new monitors, so I used one I had lying around and never used. Now I am having problems on the desktop and I have yet to even start up a game. I have never seen artifacts or such before and I have no experience with them, but i will try to get pictures posted. I seem to be getting blue dots all over the screen in regimented lines randomly. I also get red lines that are solid and do not look like dots. When this started I tried changing resolution and that seemed to work for awhile, but did not last. Now I am running the monitor via VGA with an old VGA-DVI adapter. I have seen absolutely no problems at this point, but I will update. I also plugged my PS3 into my monitor via HDMI and did not notice any problems for the 5 minutes I messed with it. I will be testing some more with my PC in VGA and PS3 in HDMI. What do you guys think? Is the DVI cable crap? Is my video card failing even though the problem was never seen on my other monitor? Is my "new" 24" monitor dead? Please help!

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
It's rare for cables to cause this kind of problem. It's a cable, after all.

Just a guess, but it's probably the refurb monitor. Those things are rmaed by original buyer for a reason. Manufacturer/distributors are supposed to fully test them, and repair as needed. But they rarely do in reality if they plug it in and it turns on. You might be experiencing the same defect that prompted the original buyer to rma.

I'm thinking it's the DVI cable. Sometimes you get crappy cables it happens, or it could have some kind of dust or corrosion on the ends. I mean I don't know how long you just had it lying around or where you had it lying around. Try using a new DVI cable, and if you still experience the same problem then that means your monitor is faulty.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Alright so far my monitor works perfectly well with VGA. My PS3 seems to be doing perfectly fine with HDMI and now my old computer is working great with DVI. I will be reconnecting my PC via DVI now to see if the problem has solved itself.