Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

V551 & email

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 6, 2005 3:49:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I own a Moto V551 and can't seem to figure out how to configure the browser
the retrieve my web based email. It is not through Yahoo, AOL, or MSN
(it's Cox cable). Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks, Fred

More about : v551 email

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:32:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:9eiNd.32565$B95.29401@lakeread02...
|I own a Moto V551 and can't seem to figure out how to configure the browser
| the retrieve my web based email. It is not through Yahoo, AOL, or MSN
| (it's Cox cable). Can anyone help me with this?
|

In a nutshell, you set it up the same you you do your newsreader on your PC
(assuming you are using one). Which setting in particular are in question?
You probably won't be able to use Cox's SMTP server though Most ISP's block
port 25 from being used by outside servers. You can use the default one from
Cingular (leaves a Cingular tag in the signature), or cwmx.com for no tag.
February 6, 2005 11:22:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I can't find a place in the menu system of the phone to enter the
configuration data. Once I find it I can take it from there. Can you
direct me please?

Fred

"Hierophant" <nospam@duh.net> wrote in message
news:40wNd.24139$3W3.11075@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:9eiNd.32565$B95.29401@lakeread02...
> |I own a Moto V551 and can't seem to figure out how to configure the
browser
> | the retrieve my web based email. It is not through Yahoo, AOL, or MSN
> | (it's Cox cable). Can anyone help me with this?
> |
>
> In a nutshell, you set it up the same you you do your newsreader on your
PC
> (assuming you are using one). Which setting in particular are in question?
> You probably won't be able to use Cox's SMTP server though Most ISP's
block
> port 25 from being used by outside servers. You can use the default one
from
> Cingular (leaves a Cingular tag in the signature), or cwmx.com for no tag.
>
>
Related resources
February 7, 2005 8:17:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I don't have that phone, but I'm in the market for a new one. Just to
expand the discussion a bit--is anyone using it with Gmail (google),
which is pop accessible. The only problem is that apparently it's a bit
nonstandard, and not all pop email clients can handle it (it uses weird
ports, uses authentication, ssl, and a bunch of other stuff).
February 7, 2005 2:20:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

It's not Google's issue. They exhaustively document it on the Gmail
site. It's the clients that are having the problem. It's "nonstandard"
in the sense of "no one else does it that way" and not in the sense
that it's not POP. In other words, it's fully valid POP, but most
clients don't support it (yet?).
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 4:19:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <1107782270.979490.7590@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"mc" <mrmikec@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't have that phone, but I'm in the market for a new one. Just to
> expand the discussion a bit--is anyone using it with Gmail (google),
> which is pop accessible. The only problem is that apparently it's a bit
> nonstandard, and not all pop email clients can handle it (it uses weird
> ports, uses authentication, ssl, and a bunch of other stuff).

Did you ask Google?
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:15:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Go into the messages section (up direction from "home screen" for default
shortcut to it), then into "email msgs". At this point, it should warn you
that email is not set up and ask if you would like to. In the event it
doesn't, press the menu key again form within the inbox, and select the
option "email Msg Setup".

"Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:SpzNd.34575$B95.31913@lakeread02...
|I can't find a place in the menu system of the phone to enter the
| configuration data. Once I find it I can take it from there. Can you
| direct me please?
|
| Fred
|
| "Hierophant" <nospam@duh.net> wrote in message
| news:40wNd.24139$3W3.11075@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
| >
| > "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > news:9eiNd.32565$B95.29401@lakeread02...
| > |I own a Moto V551 and can't seem to figure out how to configure the
| browser
| > | the retrieve my web based email. It is not through Yahoo, AOL, or MSN
| > | (it's Cox cable). Can anyone help me with this?
| > |
| >
| > In a nutshell, you set it up the same you you do your newsreader on
your
| PC
| > (assuming you are using one). Which setting in particular are in
question?
| > You probably won't be able to use Cox's SMTP server though Most ISP's
| block
| > port 25 from being used by outside servers. You can use the default one
| from
| > Cingular (leaves a Cingular tag in the signature), or cwmx.com for no
tag.
| >
| >
|
|
February 7, 2005 8:15:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Thanks, that should do it.

Fred

"Hierophant" <nospam@duh.net> wrote in message
news:D RQNd.38507$t67.8946@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> Go into the messages section (up direction from "home screen" for default
> shortcut to it), then into "email msgs". At this point, it should warn you
> that email is not set up and ask if you would like to. In the event it
> doesn't, press the menu key again form within the inbox, and select the
> option "email Msg Setup".
>
> "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:SpzNd.34575$B95.31913@lakeread02...
> |I can't find a place in the menu system of the phone to enter the
> | configuration data. Once I find it I can take it from there. Can you
> | direct me please?
> |
> | Fred
> |
> | "Hierophant" <nospam@duh.net> wrote in message
> | news:40wNd.24139$3W3.11075@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> | >
> | > "Fred" <agunat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | > news:9eiNd.32565$B95.29401@lakeread02...
> | > |I own a Moto V551 and can't seem to figure out how to configure the
> | browser
> | > | the retrieve my web based email. It is not through Yahoo, AOL, or
MSN
> | > | (it's Cox cable). Can anyone help me with this?
> | > |
> | >
> | > In a nutshell, you set it up the same you you do your newsreader on
> your
> | PC
> | > (assuming you are using one). Which setting in particular are in
> question?
> | > You probably won't be able to use Cox's SMTP server though Most ISP's
> | block
> | > port 25 from being used by outside servers. You can use the default
one
> | from
> | > Cingular (leaves a Cingular tag in the signature), or cwmx.com for no
> tag.
> | >
> | >
> |
> |
>
>
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:02:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <1107804004.744576.90150@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"mc" <mrmikec@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not Google's issue. They exhaustively document it on the Gmail
> site. It's the clients that are having the problem. It's "nonstandard"
> in the sense of "no one else does it that way" and not in the sense
> that it's not POP. In other words, it's fully valid POP, but most
> clients don't support it (yet?).

Fine its not Google's fault, but still they should have had other
Cingular folks contact them such that they know the answer, even if the
answer is you're outa luck.
!