WinME Boot freeze!

G

I've used Me for 6 months and works fine for me, but last couple of weeks i have experienced system freezes each time i boot WinME.It doesnt happen when i restart, only when i turn on my pc.It goes into windows allright but freezes when loading the applications in lower right corner, and it really puzzles me...i do a ctrl+alt+del -system boots again, goes to scandisk (no errors) and then again into window -and this time there's no problems. i've tried to turn off programs in msconfig, installed different drivers for my sound and video, but it doesnt seem to help
sbci128
riva tnt-2 ultra
320 mb sd-ram
600 mhz athlon
sorry for my poor english, hope anyone can guide me into the solution of this problem
any suggesstions are welcome
/Amdi

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Do you have dial-up modem fax software installed?
Chek it's database, delete old temporary files.

What was installed, anyway, just before the problem arised?
(run Find with Date option if not sure)
Check whether there are enough space left on the HDD, especially if you use large fixed-size swap file.

G

Hi NickM

well space is ok - more than 2 GB's free.
I have no dial-up modem fax software installed. (is on a LAN
connected through a proxy server to the internet).
I have also scanned for viras, no result
I'm not sure about the exact date when the problem arose.
programs installed in that period

DivX 4.0
soundblaster pci128 drivers
zonealarm, i uninstalled again right away almost

G

Had a simular problem as you and did a registry check/scan. I use a program from Ontrack called <A HREF="http://www.ontrack.com/" target="_new">"Fix it 3.0"</A>, it checks and fixes broken links in the registry.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
Thank you, Scotty, for the useful link, I see they have alredy Fix-It Utilities™ version 4.0 !

Do you know is it better than my outdated Norton System Check from 2000 SystemWorks pack, or than any newer Symantec's similar product?

Just thinking about buyng something newer from those tolls.

G

Have no idea, all I know is that works for me.

<font color=orange>Beam</font color=orange><font color=red> me</font color=red><font color=green> up</font color=green><font color=blue> Scotty</font color=blue> :wink:

G

Hmmm and pay $44,95 for it, nah don't think so, but thanks..