Problems sharing Internal HDD between two networked Vista PC's

I currently have two pc's running, one is my HTPC, which has all of my dvd's and music cd's on it. I have this all stored on a 1TB WD green drive (not the new one unfortunately), and i am having problems sharing this drive with my second computer. Before you think, "why is he wanting to share them" i have my good speakers on my second computer, and i also game on the second pc so i use it more, and listen to music alot on it. The exact problem i am having is that i can in essence share my 1TB hdd between the computers, but not all of the folders in the HDD are accessible. I have gone into the HDD properties > security tab > created a new group named everyone(or something along those lines) > set both computers open and able to share/edit files and folders over the network. this initially let me see the HDD over the network, but i couldn't access any of the folders in it, it gave me an error "Windows cannot access \\HT-PC\storage\music\Killswitch Engage" error code: 0x80070005 access is denied. the only way i have found around this is to go into each individual folder and enable sharing >security > "everyone" group, which has become a very annoying task as i have probably hundreds of folders. is there any way i can just share the whole HDD easily over the network? sorry for the drawn out post, ty in advance for any help
2 answers Last reply
More about problems sharing internal networked vista
  1. modifying the top level folder 'should' propagate to every folder underneath it.

when you selected the 'everyone' group did you select check names afterwards?
    there is a preexisting group with this name which propagated correctly when i tested it just now.

you could also try removing the other entries in the permissions table.

edit - do a quick test on your local machine, make a folder within a folder, modify the outer folders permissions and add the everyone user/group to it and tick all the boxes for full control. now check the inside folder and see if it carried over correctly.
  2. so i have selected the "everyone" group and did check names. i also removed the other entries in the permissions table. created a new folder on the desktop, as well as a sub folder, and sub sub folder, gave it the permissions, and everything opened in the new folder. however, my Storage Drive still wont allow me to acces certain folders.
Ask a new question

Read More

Music Hard Drives Windows Vista Networking