Defragmentation not working

Robert

Why would defragmenting a disk have no effect? First I compressed the files
on C drive. Then I go into disk defragmenter and analyze the C drive. The
volume is 19% free. It says I should defragment the volume. So I
defragment the volume. After, I rerun the analysis. It's still 19% free
and it still says I should defragment the volume. Any ideas? Computer is 3
years old and has 80GB total on the hard drive.

Robert

Robert wrote:
> Why would defragmenting a disk have no effect? First I compressed
> the files on C drive. Then I go into disk defragmenter and analyze
> the C drive. The volume is 19% free. It says I should defragment
> the volume. So I defragment the volume. After, I rerun the
> analysis. It's still 19% free and it still says I should defragment
> the volume. Any ideas? Computer is 3 years old and has 80GB total
> on the hard drive.

First - 19% is just above the recommended free space for a valuable
defragmentation.
Secondly - the built in defragmenter can usually take two or three runs
through to get to a point that I feel is acceptable if it has not been done
in some time.
Third - you need to do cleanup of the disk - not defragmenting - if you
expect to free up space. Defragmenting merely moves the stuff you have
around in a more orderly fashion. If you have 19% free when you start a
defragment process, you should have 19% free when you finish.

Sounds like you need to really cleanup the system with Disk Cleanup and the
"Add/Remove Programs" control panel - followed by a CHKDSK and then a
defragment - maybe two or three defragments in a row. The first two things
will free up some space - the last will organize the remaing used data
better.

A good cleanup for you right now would be:

1) Uninstall unused applications..

How to Uninstall Programs
http://snipurl.com/8v6b

A word of warning - Do NOT uninstall anything you think you MIGHT need
in the future unless you have the installation media and proper keys for
use backed up somewhere safe!

2) Patch your system with all Critical updates - avoid HARDWARE drivers from
here!

Windows Update
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

3) Check for spyware.. I would usually recommend more than one of these
applications, but for the quickie cleanup we are going for here:

Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

4) Cleanup the disk!

You should periodically check your hard drive(s) for errors and defragment
them. Only defragment after you have cleaned up your machine of
outside parasites and never defragment as a solution to a quirkiness in
your system. It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean
before you do this. Do these things IN ORDER...

How to use Disk Cleanup
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

5) Reset your system restore points..
(¡This will erase previous restoration points!)

- Turn off System Restore.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
- Reboot the Computer.
- Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore
- Make a Manual Restoration Point.
http://snipurl.com/68nx

Good Luck!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

19% is the amount of free space on the drive. This does not change just
because you defragment. This changes when you delete or add files and
programs.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why would defragmenting a disk have no effect? First I compressed the
> files on C drive. Then I go into disk defragmenter and analyze the C
> drive. The volume is 19% free. It says I should defragment the volume.
> So I defragment the volume. After, I rerun the analysis. It's still 19%
> free and it still says I should defragment the volume. Any ideas?
> Computer is 3 years old and has 80GB total on the hard drive.
>
> Robert

Robert

I did run Disk Cleanup before running the analysis. In the past, when
running the defragmentation, the free space would go up a few percentage
points, at least. I'm sure of it. That's why I was puzzled by this result.

I have a lot of unused space on my D partition so I guess I'll have to run
Partition Magic.

Thanks.

> [...]
> (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )
>
> 4) Cleanup the disk!
>
> You should periodically check your hard drive(s) for errors and defragment
> them. Only defragment after you have cleaned up your machine of
> outside parasites and never defragment as a solution to a quirkiness in
> your system. It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean
> before you do this. Do these things IN ORDER...
>
> How to use Disk Cleanup
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
>
> How to scan your disks for errors
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
>
> How to Defragment your hard drives
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
>
> 5) Reset your system restore points..
> (¡This will erase previous restoration points!)
>
> - Turn off System Restore.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
> - Reboot the Computer.
> - Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore

19% free refers to the "free disk space" not the % of defragmented files.