Defragmentation not working

Why would defragmenting a disk have no effect? First I compressed the files
on C drive. Then I go into disk defragmenter and analyze the C drive. The
volume is 19% free. It says I should defragment the volume. So I
defragment the volume. After, I rerun the analysis. It's still 19% free
and it still says I should defragment the volume. Any ideas? Computer is 3
years old and has 80GB total on the hard drive.

Robert
4 answers Last reply
More about defragmentation working

    Robert wrote:
    > Why would defragmenting a disk have no effect? First I compressed
    > the files on C drive. Then I go into disk defragmenter and analyze
    > the C drive. The volume is 19% free. It says I should defragment
    > the volume. So I defragment the volume. After, I rerun the
    > analysis. It's still 19% free and it still says I should defragment
    > the volume. Any ideas? Computer is 3 years old and has 80GB total
    > on the hard drive.

    First - 19% is just above the recommended free space for a valuable
    defragmentation.
    Secondly - the built in defragmenter can usually take two or three runs
    through to get to a point that I feel is acceptable if it has not been done
    in some time.
    Third - you need to do cleanup of the disk - not defragmenting - if you
    expect to free up space. Defragmenting merely moves the stuff you have
    around in a more orderly fashion. If you have 19% free when you start a
    defragment process, you should have 19% free when you finish.

    Sounds like you need to really cleanup the system with Disk Cleanup and the
    "Add/Remove Programs" control panel - followed by a CHKDSK and then a
    defragment - maybe two or three defragments in a row. The first two things
    will free up some space - the last will organize the remaing used data
    better.

    A good cleanup for you right now would be:

    1) Uninstall unused applications..

    How to Uninstall Programs
    http://snipurl.com/8v6b

    A word of warning - Do NOT uninstall anything you think you MIGHT need
    in the future unless you have the installation media and proper keys for
    use backed up somewhere safe!

    2) Patch your system with all Critical updates - avoid HARDWARE drivers from
    here!

    Windows Update
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

    3) Check for spyware.. I would usually recommend more than one of these
    applications, but for the quickie cleanup we are going for here:

    Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
    (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

    4) Cleanup the disk!

    You should periodically check your hard drive(s) for errors and defragment
    them. Only defragment after you have cleaned up your machine of
    outside parasites and never defragment as a solution to a quirkiness in
    your system. It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean
    before you do this. Do these things IN ORDER...

    How to use Disk Cleanup
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

    How to scan your disks for errors
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

    How to Defragment your hard drives
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848

    5) Reset your system restore points..
    (¡This will erase previous restoration points!)

    - Turn off System Restore.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
    - Reboot the Computer.
    - Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore
    - Make a Manual Restoration Point.
    http://snipurl.com/68nx

    Good Luck!

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    19% is the amount of free space on the drive. This does not change just
    because you defragment. This changes when you delete or add files and
    programs.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why would defragmenting a disk have no effect? First I compressed the
    > files on C drive. Then I go into disk defragmenter and analyze the C
    > drive. The volume is 19% free. It says I should defragment the volume.
    > So I defragment the volume. After, I rerun the analysis. It's still 19%
    > free and it still says I should defragment the volume. Any ideas?
    > Computer is 3 years old and has 80GB total on the hard drive.
    >
    > Robert

    I did run Disk Cleanup before running the analysis. In the past, when
    running the defragmentation, the free space would go up a few percentage
    points, at least. I'm sure of it. That's why I was puzzled by this result.

    I have a lot of unused space on my D partition so I guess I'll have to run
    Partition Magic.

    Thanks.

> [...]
    > (How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )
    >
    > 4) Cleanup the disk!
    >
    > You should periodically check your hard drive(s) for errors and defragment
    > them. Only defragment after you have cleaned up your machine of
    > outside parasites and never defragment as a solution to a quirkiness in
    > your system. It may help speed up your system, but it should be clean
    > before you do this. Do these things IN ORDER...
    >
    > How to use Disk Cleanup
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312
    >
    > How to scan your disks for errors
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
    >
    > How to Defragment your hard drives
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
    >
    > 5) Reset your system restore points..
    > (¡This will erase previous restoration points!)
    >
    > - Turn off System Restore.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
    > - Reboot the Computer.
    > - Review the first bullet to turn on System Restore

    19% free refers to the "free disk space" not the % of defragmented files.

    "Robert" <projecttoday@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Why would defragmenting a disk have no effect? First I compressed the
    > files on C drive. Then I go into disk defragmenter and analyze the C
    > drive. The volume is 19% free. It says I should defragment the volume.
    > So I defragment the volume. After, I rerun the analysis. It's still 19%
    > free and it still says I should defragment the volume. Any ideas?
    > Computer is 3 years old and has 80GB total on the hard drive.
    >
    > Robert

Defragment Microsoft Windows XP