computer wont load with a agp card installed

theunwise

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
yo,

a few days after i installed windows service pack 3 i had turned my computer off, when i went to turn it back on i got the bsod. i restarted only to get the blue screen again so i went into safe mode to see if i could find what was wrong. after failing to do that i turned it off and tried again later but this time i couldnt even get into safe mode...my computer gets to the windows xp loading screen then freezes(where windows has the little blue progress bar float across appeard this little line when it freezes), and in safe mode it gets to where it is loading the last of the system files then freezes...so to make a long story short i took my old nvidia 6800gt (agp)out and plugged the monitor into the onboard video..and it worked...i went out and bought a cheap ..Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650 Pro 512MB DDR2 AGP VGA/TVO/DVI..for 35 bucks..and i am getting the same problem..it will only boot up with no agp card installed..any suggestions? here is my shizzle,..its old too...

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)
System Manufacturer: VIAK8_
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 960MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

thanks

theunwise

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
my power supply is 350w i have 2 cd drives along with the video card..also im constantly charging my ipod ..not sure if that makes a difference but worth mentioning i guess..maybe under powered? ....i tried formatting/reinstalling windows w/ the 6800 but after install on 1st boot same thing. what is interesting tho is that i decided to install win xp sp1 and it worked with a card installed..but as soon as i upgraded to sp2 it did the same thing.

Could be a bad driver somewhere, or a virus you keep backing up :pt1cable: . Anyway don't install any drivers until after you have applied SP3, or just stick with SP2. Installing drivers, and then applying the service pack can cause problems. I had to format my old machine when installing SP3 since it seemed to screw up any drivers that were installed after I had just put on SP2.