Sign in with
Your question

Question about cables in mobo. Troubleshooting.

Last response: in Motherboards
December 21, 2008 3:04:44 AM

Could bad cables our bad connections between the motherboard and other components be the cause of these issues( of which i have experienced ALL in these last weeks.)

-Random system shutdown

-Random system reboot

-Sometimes won't start at all no lights no nothing no power.

-(Oddly enough), my graphics card gets all the textures mixed up and i end up having my undead looking like a multi flavored lolypop hippie,( it only happened in world of warcraft) im referring this because according to some, the graphics card may not be getting its required " juice".

- HDD not detected after one of the random shutdowns\reboots, or even a normal reboot performed by me or the windows live update.

If i turn the computer off in this last situation so that i can check cables etc etc, generally i cant turn it back on after a while. which leads to the below.

Sometimes, when im desperate and really want it to boot, i go inside and play with the cables, try to adjust them to a more "confortable" position, no bends, no forceful placements, i also make sure everything is tightly connected, i then proceed to get scared to death because the lights start to blink and i think its all gonna blow up suddenly even though i only pressed the button 10 minutes ago.

Ocasionally i get cmos settings wrong; Cmos bad checksum.

if i reboot it all goes away, if i turn off computer and pull the plug, its all fine when i turn it back on.

1 - I have turned off automatic reboot on system error
2 - I have set it so that my system won't restart on psu failure
3 - sometimes the computer will reboot up to the user selection screen and then try to reboot again but fail and hang in a black screen, no sound, no response, fans moving, lights on, powerbutton does not do anything, neither does reset button. The computer magically decides wether or not he can continue to reboot or accept my attempts at turning it off, aparently.
The monitor goes into standby.
3 - the Crashes, reboots, shudowns are completely RANDOM its impossible to connect the moments . Sometimes even when i leave the computer or simply am away it reboots. ( it is usually idle at this time or downloading )

4 - I've scanned for virus, checked temperatures. No virus, temperatures will be shown along with some other stuff down.

(At the time of writing this post in the said computer , no games no music just this web page , download, and usual small programs like ICM, processor is sitting at 1% - 4 %)
Temperatures:
MOBO 38 °C (100 °F)
Processor 27 °C (81 °F)
Aux 42 °C (108 °F)

( according to aida, and i have confirmed by checking this while in BIOS setup )

Graphics Card ( idle ) 40 ºC ( 102 ºF aprox i suppose)
taking sneak peaks the graphics card never goes beyond 50 if even that much when im playing games.

Coolers:
Processor 1679 RPM
GFXC ( Nforce) 675 RPM
System 31890 RPM
CORE CPU 2.75 V
CPU Auxiliar 3.70 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.56 V
+12 V 12.71 V
-12 V 1.21 V
-5 V 2.19 V
Waiting time (?) +5 V 5.02 V
VBAT 3.25 V

I have the following as my system SPECS:

Microsoft windows XP SP2
Bios is AMI

2GB pc5300 ( two rams of 1GB one Adata other Kingston)

Intel Core duo CPU4300 ( 1800 Mhertz )
160 HDD Maxtor

Geforce 9500GT Nvidia ddr2 512MB ( former was a Geforce 7300LE 512MB )

Mobo IS : Asus P5GZ-MX

NO external components like HDDs or anything like that. just Mouse, joystick and keyboard.
I must make clear that the upgrade i have made to my computer had little to no effect as far as i can see, no consequences aside from the obvious, better performance, not necessarily implying more crashes. AS far as i can tell the fact that its colder now because its winter may even be affecting the computer more than the new hardware, i usually have my processor sit at 34Cº and my MOBO at 45º while in the summer, and this without the new ram and Graphics card.

PS : i have spent the last 1 hour writing this in the malfuntioning computer, in fact as far as i can tell it may not even crash in the next 10 years.
I apologise as the beggining of the post may be a bit misleading now that i look at it, however i still maintain my question: Could this be because i have bad cables or because they are not well connected or anything close to it ?

Please help me fix this issue and i give as of now with humble expectations my full thanks to any attention that you may bring to my computer issues.
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 21, 2008 3:13:44 AM

You can double-check all cable connections, but your PSU voltages look suspicious:

+5 V 5.56 V (too high)
+12 V 12.71 V (too high)
-12 V 1.21 V (are you sure it's that low)

-5V is not used, therefore you can ignore it.
December 21, 2008 1:55:06 PM

I will post my current voltages again, and yes they are double checked
This is 12 hours after the one i posted above

CORE CPU 2.48 V
CPU Auxiliar 3.71 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+5 V 5.56 V
+12 V 12.71 V
-12 V 0.21 V ( it lowered, yes)
-5 V 1.59

i just realised my power cable that connects from the outlet to the PSU is a 250 V one while the PSU requires 230V, also the supply is not Earthed. Could this be the issue?
Related resources
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 21, 2008 5:00:56 PM

You obviously aren't in North America as we use 120 volts. By "not Earthed", I assume that you mean "not grounded". For your own safety, it should be grounded, but that doesn't explain the bad voltages. How did you measure the voltages? Software (I hope not), BIOS HW monitor or a known good digital voltmeter?
December 21, 2008 6:41:43 PM

Okay i just checked voltages with BIOS HW monitor, and it turns out although the temperatures are pretty much the same or the changes irrelevant, the voltages were the following.

3.3V - 3.31V - 3.29V
5V - 5.01V - 4.99V
12V - 12.27V - 12.14V

I live in western europe.
a c 229 V Motherboard
December 21, 2008 7:10:00 PM

Your voltages are within specs, at least when in the BIOS' HW monitor. Now that obviously doesn't prove that your PSU is healthy when using the system. The symptoms that you listed indicate a hardware issue and I doubt that a cable could cause them, but it's possible.

Did you replace the video card because the previous one failed?

I would try the following:

1. Power off the PSU or disconnect it from the wall outlet. Inspect all cables and make sure they're properly connected. In particular the 24 pin-pin and the 4-pin cables on the motherboard (disconnect and reconnect them to make sure). It isn't normal to resolve an issue by moving cables around in the system.
2. Borrow or buy a good PSU to see if it resolves the issue. I don't trust your PSU because of the boot problems and the graphics card issues.

It's always difficult to determine the cause of a problem when replacement parts are not available.
!