WD Green 2TB Not Recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_public

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
Hi.

I'm in the process of building and moving my files to a new system. Since I'm keeping my old case but replacing the MOBO, disks, etc, I decided that an easy way of migrating the files and safeguarding the data would be to install my WD Green 2Tb backup drive in the case with the old MOBO. Then I'd simply copy the files from multiple smaller drives to the WD Green backup, build the new system, and then copy the files from the WD green to the target disks (WD Black Raid and 2 300Gb velociraptors). Or so the theory goes...

I can't get my old Win XP system to recognized the WD Green. NOTHING I've tried works. I've tried both the Intel disk controller and the Marvell disk controller. I've tried different SATA cables. I've upgraded the Intel and Marvel disk controller drivers. I have two new WD Greens (one is for my file server); I tried both. Nothing works. The old system will NOT recognize the WD Green.

Am I missing something?

Regards,

Dan.

Solution
Also consider that your old Mobo may not have a BIOS that supports a 2TB disk. I'd check for any options in the BIOS, also check if there may be a newer version that might help with this issue, but in the end there may be nothing wrong with the drive just incompatibility due to size.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
in the bios there is this option for IDE simulation. (for use with legacy OS)

turn that on. that should do the trick. otherwise install windows xp with the sata driver trick. (pain)

strange that that happens. i believe that should fix the problem, but not so sure.

also try making sure the power and all the cables are connected properly.

WD has two models of 2TB drives:

Both SHOULD be detected. The newest one, the EARS version, uses new technology that both can get 7 to 11% more data on the same drive but also is 50% more reliable (for error correction specifically).

If you have the EARS model you need to format it with the Advanced Format Technology software to work with XP the same way it works with Vista, Windows 7 and newer OSX. But, it should still be recongized by XP even if you don't optimize it.

In extreme cases I've heard of wiping off the formatting if you've already formatted it with Drive Eraser or similar software.

The only other thing I can think of is that your connection isn't working. Try seeing if it's detected on a connection that already works for another drive. The alternative is to try it with a USB case.

dan_public

Distinguished
May 28, 2008

My apologies for not being clear. The disk is not even being recognized at the boot level. Neither the Marvel controller nor the Intel controller recognizes it. This is before WinXP boots up.

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. this is the new version.

hardwaretechy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Also consider that your old Mobo may not have a BIOS that supports a 2TB disk. I'd check for any options in the BIOS, also check if there may be a newer version that might help with this issue, but in the end there may be nothing wrong with the drive just incompatibility due to size.

Solution

dan_public

Distinguished
May 28, 2008

Hardwaretechy,

I think you are correct. I finally decided that is was time to go for it. I tore down my old system and rebuilt my new system with the WD Green 2TB. It works fine. All of the disks work fine. My new system is humming along at 3.8Ghz (OC'd). With the latest drivers, it recognized all of my disks.

Regards,

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.