Msconfig stuck in selective start up

jmbrooks

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
I had a MOV file in My Documents that kept locking up Windows Explorer. I used msconfig to "selective start up" and re-booted (should have used Safe Mode..DUH) . Was able to remove the offending file but now I can't get back to Normal start up. When ever I make a change in msconfig I get a dialog box saying I must have admin rights. I only have one log in that includes admin.

I was able to un hide the Admin log in and log in there but I still can't get normal start up. The symptoms are:

- Task Bar at bottom of screen is white instead of blue, also green Start is white
- Video drivers don't load
- Wireless USB network adapter dosen't work

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

All Selective StartUp means is anything that isn't the original Normal with which the system was set up so having made one change at one stage, you can never go back to Normal without reinstalling completely.

You wopn;t find the fixes for the driver problems you have for video and wireles sin msconfig and the taks bar is probably linked to a change of Theme in Display options. See what Device Manager says about the wireless dongle and the graphics drivers in Control Panel>System>Hardware.

jmbrooks

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
No problems seen with the devices in Control Panel>System>Hardware. The PC acts like it is in Safe Mode (sort of).

This is also a likely symptom:
When ever I make a change in msconfig I get a dialog box saying I must have admin rights. I only have one log in that includes admin.

BTW, I tried many times to start in Safe Mode with F8 prior to Windows start up screen. No dice.

If I can't get this fixed soon I will have to bite the bullet and refromat/re-install :(
I am looking to upgrade to Win 7 but no tready yet.

Russ